SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Open... Anyone watching?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Open... Anyone watching? Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Lot of crying about the course set up.
It got a little crazy this afternoon, but the Open isn't supposed to be easy.

I'm excited to watch the last round tomorrow, hopefully they get the right amount of water on the greens and we see some lower scores tomorrow afternoon. The early tee times should have some good scoring opportunities.

Oh yeah, Joe Buck should stick to baseball or whatever the hell his day job is....sheesh.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Nope... but because of the traffic it causes, our monthly USPSA match has been rescheduled to next weekend. Eek

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
There is difficult...and then there is impossible.

I don't begrudge the USGA making par a respectable score... but when you see MANY professionals four putt and three put from six feet away... you're just making a mockery of a competition.

This tournament is as bad as Chambers Bay... I blame the USGA.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to watch any of it, but I've been keeping up. Every year, the USGA seems like they want to set the course up as to embarrass the best golfers in the world. I don't agree with that. I don't think it should be easy, but there's a find line in there somewhere. The course set up yesterday especially was way over that line.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My father is thinking that the Dane will win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’ve been watching the carnage.

I think it’s just a couple of holes (15 is one) where pin placements were a little off. The course should play over par for most of the pros.

Phil's meltdown still intrigues me. I would have been in favor of a DQ but after thinking about it I’m not so sure now. But nice job clowning on the course for all to see, Phil. Roll Eyes

I think today will be much better and I expect we might see some early really low scores (65,66) to make things interesting for the last 5 or 6 pairings. If I had to pick a player I hope wins, I’d go with the Hoff.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

I don't begrudge the USGA making par a respectable score... but when you see MANY professionals four putt and three put from six feet away... you're just making a mockery of a competition.

Chambers Bay was a brutal setup. Some of those greens are simply not designed for 10.5’ “Stimp-meter” average speeds.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

That’s where my money is too
Guys a freak of nature with that 3wood
If he keeps putting like he has been, it’s going to be tough to beat him

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:

Chambers Bay was a brutal setup. Some of those greens are simply not designed for 10.5’ “Stimp-meter” average speeds.
What I don't like are the burnt out or dead greens from the USGA prohibiting a course from watering. I feel bad for the members who are left with a jacked up course (i.e. temporary greens or course closures) afterward.

Chambers Bay is a good example of what I'm talking about. On TV, the course looked worse than my lawn, and I was renting a house in Canada at the time. The region made a lot of money, but the county (Pierce County) had to pay all of the expenses and the course was closed for a month after the US Open. Sure it's prestigious to host a US Open, but the USGA made the course embarrassing and members couldn't play the course for 5 weeks (week of Open and month afterward).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23323 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw a few holes yesterday afternoon - looked ugly. Lot of frustrated pro's out there!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In a way it is kind of enjoyable watching the carnage.
More so when the wind is up.
I've always enjoyed a windy British Open.
When you have bumpy, tiny, rock hard, fast, bowl-shaped greens then that is going too far.
Need a better balance.
I think they made some good adjustments.
Love the US OPEN.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I watched some yesterday and watching off and on, today. To be honest, I don't know what to think about the course. I like to see the pro's having to scramble to make par, but not to the point to where it becomes frustrating and no longer fun.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2095 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Phil's meltdown still intrigues me.

My guess is that he just said, "Awwww...fuck it. I don't stand a chance anyway." Good for him. Big Grin

While it does seem somewhat troubling (the course), bottom line is that they all have to play the same course. It doesn't matter if it's easy or difficult, or if the scores are -20 or +4. Who cares? They guy with the lowest score still wins.

They could play it in a WalMart parking lot if they wanted to. The best guy that weekend would still win.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of winning scores at -20 but it needs to be a fair test. Also, I’d like to see more parity between morning round set up and the conditions the last groups see.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can kind of see how Phil lost his cool. It was his 48th birthday yesterday, his family joined him for the tournament and the US Open is the only major he hasn't won for the grand slam. The frustration had to be monumental. Anyone who has golfed has had THAT DAY. I know I have. We just expect the pros have more control over their emotions.

It will be different next year at Pebble Beach where he has won many times. Pebble and Torrey Pines are like home courses for him. I'll be rooting for him all the way.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
I’d like to see more parity between morning round set up and the conditions the last groups see.

That's always a big deal, particularly when playing a course set up for a major championship. Not just weather changes -- a huge factor yesterday -- but the fact that afternoon greens are necessarily more beat up than morning greens.

I noticed yesterday, ground level shots of putts, at least a couple holes showed slight raises at the holes, mini-mesas. I think people stepping in from all directions to pluck balls from the cup create this. I see it far more often than not on the soft public courses I'm relegated to playing. It effectively reduces the size of the cup, maybe considerably, as anything not absolute dead center will fall off one way or the other.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Phil should have been disqualified. The two stoke penalty he took was intended for inadvertently striking the ball while moving (gentlemen's game). He just flat out fucking cheated as far as I am concerned. What he did was intentional and outside the spirit of the rules

My feelings are the US Open should be played on a course that is playable, not in Walmart parking lot. No fun watching yesterday (not watching today). The USGA has made this prestigious tournament a joke too many times

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, but the setup on Sunday was better.

You could justify a DQ for Phil. I think he was making a statement about the greens and pins. And he was frustrated.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

That’s where my money is too
Guys a freak of nature with that 3wood
If he keeps putting like he has been, it’s going to be tough to beat him

Who’s the Dane? If you’re thinking of Stenson, he’s from Sweden.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
If he was making a statement about the greens he should have just said that. The fact that he later stated it was to take a penalty which was better than where he would have ended up is crap when coupled with the video of him telling the official he had no idea what the penalty was.

It was a shocking display of poor sportsmanship, had he said "I'm sorry I lost my cool, or I'm not sorry because this was patently unfair by the USGA" I would still have respect for him. To cobble together a weasel of a lie and then tell people to toughen up if they don't like it was absurd.

In baseball its ok to try and cheat, same thing in football, NASCAR, hockey and soccer. The officials are there to officiate and keep it clean because without them the players do cheat.

In golf where each player is to impose the rules on themselves, this conduct cannot stand as acceptable.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5136 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post