SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a longer lasting dog chew/bone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a longer lasting dog chew/bone Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm wondering how long the large version of this would last a 100lb shepherd?

Our Rottie we lost last year would gnaw these to a nub after a few months

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My 135 pound Labradoodle loves the larger Benebones/Lumabones, as well as the white beef shin bones they sell in pet stores. Those are his go-to chew toys. Benebones usually last 6-12 months, and shin bones last years.

He has no interest in rubber toys like Kongs, and destroys anything made of fabric in a matter of seconds.

(Just understand that Benebones are simply a brand of nylon bone... If they don't like other nylon bones, they probably won't like Benebones.)

Posts: 32530 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
I'm wondering how long the large version of this would last a 100lb shepherd?

Our Rottie we lost last year would gnaw these to a nub after a few months

If it lasts a month, I'd be pretty happy. They're nylon? And Edible?

I ordered 3 from Amazon, one in each flavor. I guess the nylon is inert enough that small pieces won't cause problems?

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're nylon? And Edible?

Yessir

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kongs

Defiantly. My Akitas would chew them like crazy and still not kill them.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The best dog chew toy I've ever found is the Orbee Planet Ball.

They are virtually indestructible. I have one that is on it's third dog now and still going strong. I recently bought another one for outside and it'll probably outlive me. If you get one, get the one without the raised continents on it as they will eventually chew those off (but the ball will still be fine).

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hurstolds1:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
NO rawhide .

Why no rawhide? What is the issue?
Thanks

They says rawhide is tough to digest and can pose a checking hazard.

I ordered some bully sticks. Can’t wait to tell my wife I’m giving the dog cow wieners!

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Bully bars at $20 a day. Eek

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Our little guy is a chewer. Thankfully not furniture. Wife got these at local pet shop. Beef and collagen. They are pretty tuff and a 6" stick lasta almost three days. He chews it for and hour or so and then I guess his jaw get's tired.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
My dogs LOVE this bone!

quote:
Benebone wishbone

We bought our Frenchie all kinds of nylon bones, we didn't want to use rawhide

This one is his favorite, he can hold it because of it's shape and do some heavy duty chewing. We have three, one upstairs, one downstairs and a backup

https://www.chewy.com/benebone..._X6YbixoCbQUQAvD_BwE

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Where did you see $20 a day?

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
I'm going to buy my Labrador a Benebone, she's a chewer.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My 65 lb German Shepard loves the benebone. He has two right now. It’ll take him about a half a year to wear them down to nothing

We don’t do rawhide after a certain dog ate one in under an hour and exploded the next day.

He also doesn’t get those giant cow bones from the butcher anymore either because there’s nothing like waking up to exploded dog at 0430.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I got the 3 benebones from Amazon today.

Kinda odd, he charged around the house in a total panic, hiding them. One at a time.

Now that they are all hidden, he's calm again. It's like they were never here.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend a Orbee Planet Ball. We put treats in. Our lab Carl will roll that around the house and squeeze it until he gets the all the treats out.

A black Kong stuffed with some peanut butter from the freezer seems to hold his attention for a good while too.

Carl will absolutely destroy a Benebone in short order. I think the last one lasted less than 4 hours. He's had several Nylabones designed for power chewers - the smaller ones end up looking like he's making a shank after a few days so we stick with the really large Nylabone; those last for several months.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So many recommendations for the Benebone Wishbone that we thought, “Better give it a try, it would be something she could chew on in the house.” My wife ordered a couple of them for our GSD. She’s never even picked one up Big Grin

Real bison and cow bones remain on the every-once-in-awhile menu.

We’ve long used Kongs with dog cookies, and/or peanut butter in them, but she’s very adept and getting the prize in short order.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Where did you see $20 a day?

I don’t understand your question. I was stating my run rate.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
These are great!

https://www.chewy.com/b/himalayan-chews-2780

Takes a great while for our bully dog to go through one.
No stomach issues as related to rawhide and no dental issues as related to bones.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Benebone wishbone

https://www.chewy.com/benebone..._X6YbixoCbQUQAvD_BwE

Our 90lb mutt loves these too - they're long lasting. the only downside is that the chewed end is sharp/pokey. You stub your toe on it and it HURTS. We go through about 3 per year and he chews on it a lot.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post