SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a longer lasting dog chew/bone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a longer lasting dog chew/bone Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking for a longer lasting dog chew for my 20lb morkie. I would like something that would last 30+ minutes and is easy on the stomach.

My wife thinks rawhide is not good and antler type bones are too hard.

I tried a nylon style bone but the dog was not interested.

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
We give our dog bully sticks(bull penis) shes 90 lbs and it takes her awhile to chew. Safe, natural but don’t get the Chinese ones. Chewy.com has them

Posts: 2308 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO rawhide .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Benebone wishbone

We bought our Frenchie all kinds of nylon bones, we didn't want to use rawhide

This one is his favorite, he can hold it because of it's shape and do some heavy duty chewing. We have three, one upstairs, one downstairs and a backup

https://www.chewy.com/benebone..._X6YbixoCbQUQAvD_BwE

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Kong with peanut butter inside.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/t...XWY7NnxoCcxIQAvD_BwE

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
NO rawhide .
. Its not rawhide, we don’t give our dog any also.

Posts: 2308 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
We give our dog bully sticks(bull penis) shes 90 lbs and it takes her awhile to chew. Safe, natural but don’t get the Chinese ones. Chewy.com has them

^^ This He enjoys it and usually lasts many days too weeks depending on his boredom.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've used the bully sticks for years, they're like crack for dogs. At the time I had a 9 lb Morkie and a Border collie. I used to just let them chew for 20 minutes or so and the thin 6" would last a couple of days. Now I've got a 33 lb Borderdoodle and I've stepped up to the Jumbo sticks, depending on the sticks one can last a couple, few days. My friends 20 lb Westie gets several days out of a jumbo. Now my issue is they're out of stock where I buy, Happy Dog Place.

https://www.happydogplace.com/product/1727

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Redbone coonhound and a Bluetick coonhound. Each good size about 65 pounds each There are several Benebone’s as above as well as a few elk stag antler chews in several rooms. They have been working on them off and on for years. Can’t remember when we bought them. Then they will get kicked under a couch or something and then re discovered and it’s like a new toy again

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There are any number of non-hide sticks at your local pet store as the anti-hide trend has become the norm. They look something like hide products, but are made of quite different proteins. They also don't get quite as slimy and gross as the traditional hide treats, and are much more appealing to the animal than the nylon "bones" and rubber chew toys that usually have to be enhanced with something like peanut butter.

Be careful with those bully sticks/bull penises, if your dog starts barking with a lisp, stop them immediately (obligatory politically incorrect joke, not to be taken seriously).

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Benebone wishbone

This one is his favorite, he can hold it because of it's shape and do some heavy duty chewing. We have three, one upstairs, one downstairs and a backup

Are those edible?

My German shepherd loves bully sticks, but he puts away a foot long Costco bully stick in about 3 minutes. At almost 40$ a bag, he doesn't get them very often.

I'm wondering how long the large version of this would last a 100lb shepherd?

He won't touch the nylon bones, not even the flavored ones.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Benebone. We give our dogs many toys to choose from, because their interest waxes and wanes. They usually want most what the other dog has.

Whatever you buy, if you want the dog to really love it, put it in the trash. That's where the best chew-toys always come from.

Second-best location would be in a briefcase or backpack; that's where my new gloves were before they met their fate.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local store carries water buffalo horns not as hard as antler but close

Jd

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
Another vote for the Benebone. We give our dogs many toys to choose from, because their interest waxes and wanes. They usually want most what the other dog has.

Whatever you buy, if you want the dog to really love it, put it in the trash. That's where the best chew-toys always come from.

Second-best location would be in a briefcase or backpack; that's where my new gloves were before they met their fate.

I know the feeling.

The "Wasn't me" non-pokerface after wrecking the USB dongle to my CNC remote pendant:

It was my fault, for leaving it in an accessable location.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Benebone wishbone

Are those edible?

My German shepherd loves bully sticks, but he puts away a foot long Costco bully stick in about 3 minutes. At almost 40$ a bag, he doesn't get them very often.

I'm wondering how long the large version of this would last a 100lb shepherd?

He won't touch the nylon bones, not even the flavored ones.

Yes they are edible I must have 20 of them in our house its all mine chew

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Why not go to a specialty pet food store and by a size appropriate piece of cow or bison bone? That marrow is a treat for any size of dog and the bone will clean the teeth too.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 46lbs Aussie is a mega super chewer. She can destroy some toys! Things that are supposed to be for tough chewers, she wrecks in minutes.

I have subscribed to Bark Box Super Chewer, and most of the time she is able to kill one of the toys within minutes. The other, which she usually has less interest in will last a week or three.

I got on of these Benebone about 3 weeks ago and she has barely made a scratch in it. She will chew on that thing for a while and then carry it around some, she'll give it to me to play tug.

Best $15.00 I have spent on a toy/chew for her.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Bronkie Bōnz™

That'll keep the Furanha busy for a few hours...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
NO rawhide .

Why no rawhide? What is the issue?
Thanks

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post