SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Halloumi fries?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halloumi fries? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I saw an article about Halloumi fries this morning. New to me, but I think that I’d like ‘em. Has anyone tried them?

Halloumi fries
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...halloumi-fries%3famp

Halloumi (cheese)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first came across Halloumi in Australia. Sliced not too thin and grilled. Squeaky and grilled reminded me of cheese curds. Great stuff. I've found it at a few places and cook a couple times a year.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Those sound right up my alley. Good luck finding several of the ingredients, however. Za'atar in particular. And I'm curious if they mean the spice blend of za'atar or the actual spice za'atar (very different).

Either way, they sound and look awfully tasty. I'm a big fan of Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Fried cheese!!! I'll take a large!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good photo of Halloumi fries at Aldi (UK):

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/foo...-halloumi-fries.html

BTW – Bristol Farms, my upscale supermarket, sells packages of fried (baked?) parmesan crisps. 1/16” thick, and ~2-1/2” diameter, they’re indescribably tasty. If the Halloumi fries are anywhere as good as those…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Looks like Aldi in the UK is selling bagged Halloumi Fries - hopefully they'll make their way to the US Aldi's. They look great!

I also found a product called Moon Cheese at Target - very tasty! Made from Cheddar or Gouda - great crunchy snack.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
We came across Halloumi grilled in 1" cubes on a skewer with tomatoes and lemon garlic mushrooms at a small Greek restaurant during our recent trip to London........ We began experimenting with making the cheese when we got home. We've got the cheese process figured out and I think I'm gaining about 5 pounds a month.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post