SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Detailers: Rubbing out paint?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detailers: Rubbing out paint? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I'm prepping my 24 year old John Deere mower for winter storage and the plastic hood is looking pretty ragged. Waxing helped, but it should really be rubbed out first.

Never done it, can I use any old rubbing compound for paint or do I need to be concerned about the plastic?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15270 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It it colored plastic or actually painted?

I'd start with a clay bar

id not use too harsh a grit of compound with a smooth foam pad on DA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Meguiars105 followed by any wax. That will clean up any auto/farm/plastic painted surface without damage. I use it on neglected auto paint works really great. You cannot do damage with it if you tried, but its still the most aggressive cleaner the company makes.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Clay bar after washing as other poster said is good, before polish cleaning. The order is wash, clay bar, cleaning polish, wax. Use a modern polymer based wax, not a show car natural wax.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give me a call

For to 5 tree 01 0790

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If it is polycarbonate (look for a "7" in a triangle on the back side of the hood) and depending on current scratch depth, you can use wet dry grits.

I finish with 2500 or 3000 and then use fine polish like turtle wax swirl scratch remover, and then final polish with Gel-Gloss kitchen and bath polish.

It will look like cut and buffed paint when your done.

Not sure how large an area, so you can use mechanical until the last sanding stage, keeping things plenty wet.

A pump spray bottle with wetting agent, like water and a few drops of Dawn or ammonia if you can tolerate the odor.

Try a small area and see how it turns out.

You can use toothpaste as a final polish if you don't have the other stuff for your "test".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice!

Not planning to take it to the Pebble Beach concours d'elegance just want to clean up the paint a little and put a decent wax job on it.

Couldn't find any casting marks on it anywhere, so not sure what sort of plastic it is or whether or not it's solid color or painted. One of the deeper scratches makes me think it's solid color tho.

Found a clay bar I'd half-forgotten I had and a bottle of clay lube so I clayed it good to get the grit and dirt off. And, incidentally, a lot of red overspray I didn't realize was on there from painting my snowblower while the tractor was parked nearby.

I'll get a can of cleaning polish and rub it out with that and then wax it and it'll look better than it has in years.

Thanks again...

Posts: 15270 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Give me a call

For to 5 tree 01 0790

Thanks, but with my hearing loss I can just about manage a conversation face-to-face. Phone calls are a major PITA for me.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
with my hearing loss I can just about manage a conversation face-to-face. Phone calls are a major PITA for me.
You mean I'm not the only one? Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You live in Maine (as I do) and you have a 24 yo lawn mower you are detailing. I hope your neighbors don't get wind of it. Mine lives outdoors 7x24x365.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You live in Maine (as I do) and you have a 24 yo lawn mower you are detailing. I hope your neighbors don't get wind of it. Mine lives outdoors 7x24x365.

Big Grin This one has been garaged when not in use since new, and the deck has been removed, scraped, wire-brushed and painted every Fall before storing it for the Winter. Oil and filter changed, chassis and deck greased and battery removed and stored in the basement.

1994 John Deere LX178 with the Kawasaki water cooled V twin. Never put a nickle into it outside batteries, belts and blades. No, wait, I did put a new seat pad on it this year. Other than paint, you couldn't tell it from new, runs like a watch, starts instantly.

I suspect it'll outlive me. I sure hope so, cuz I paid something like $5K for it 24 years ago, I'd hate to think what the current equivalent would cost.