SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My company just emailed how we have to discriminate in interviewing.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My company just emailed how we have to discriminate in interviewing. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Email said that there is a goal that all senior leadership positions will be 50% female by 2025 and that 37% of workforce will be people of color. We are required to choose who we interview based on these criteria.

How the hell is this legal? They basically told me that since I'm a guy I will be less likely to get a senior leadership job.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
1st one in to say: get the hell outta there.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ This

They've just told you that, as a white male, you've no path to advancement. Time to bail.

I always treated employers I left better than most departees did. This, for me, would be an exception to that policy. They'd get the absolute minimum notification and I'd leave without a single days vacation owed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can’t leave. 26 years in. In 2 years I can retire and keep my health insurance until I get Medicare. I’ll be 55. Not that I can retire financially at 55. But I want that benefit available.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Apparently… they hate you, Man.

What’s the price of integrity?

Yes, it’s against Federal Law.

The laws don’t matter anymore; didn’t you get the memo? Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
alternatively, the company is clearly not interested in your kind 'round there.

apply for that senior leadership role, and when you don't get it take that email to any decent employment lawyer and sue for discrimination then move on to greener pastures.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
At least, at least the percentages accurately depict population.

At least...

Gotta look for the positive or something, IDFK

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6344 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Presumably, the fact that even they're sending that email is indicative that they're gonna need to engage in some SERIOUS 'make-up' (due to lost time) racism/sexism, a.k.a. DISCRIMINATION, in order to achieve that goal. Of course, that means between now and then, odds are VERY MUCH stacked against you! I'd save that email, and any other documented evidence of racism/sexism/ageism by your employer in case it's needed as evidence to bolster a discrimination lawsuit down the road.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8952 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
or you could be like that shop teacher in Canada with the overly-huge prosthetic mammaries and work their very last nerve with their own shit. Wink

You need to identify as Downtown Jackie Brown…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
To be clear I have no ambition to be a senior leader. I’m a manager. I plan on retiring as a manager or perhaps an individual contributor if I can get an internal job. I have to suck it up and keep my mouth shut. Still I need to vent.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I did dress up as the little mermaid for Halloween.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
or you could be like that shop teacher in Canada with the overly-huge prosthetic mammaries and work their very last nerve with their own shit. Wink

You need to identify as Downtown Jackie Brown…

Sounds like a good way to get a promotion also.

Posts: 75 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
To be clear I have no ambition to be a senior leader. I’m a manager. I plan on retiring as a manager or perhaps an individual contributor if I can get an internal job. I have to suck it up and keep my mouth shut. Still I need to vent.

Understood.
Good perspective.
Over the next two years there will likely be karma.
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised that the hiring instructions were put down in the form of email. Everything about the directive is a violation of the Civil Rights Act and typically would be given verbally. Trouble is, the Biden Office od Civil Rights (I think that’s it) has demonstrated that reported civil rights violations against whites, particularly men, are not something they’re likely to investigate. The CRA of 1964 has been selectively enforced almost from the very beginning.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
We had same thing at my work.
AND apparently there is a minority college , and a minority hiring fair , and we are required to reserve open positions EXCLUSIVELY for those events.
Oh and the interview panel is supposed to be 50% minority and female , so the candidates feel welcome.

Then senior management is meeting to discuss mythbusting the apparent myth that there is no future for white males in the company. Coz you know that's completely incorrect.....

Sorry , just had to let you know it isn't just your company , it's getting widespread

Posts: 833 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did dress up as the little mermaid for Halloween.

The cartoon or the black woman? Because if it was the white cartoon, not diverse enough...

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 2 years I can retire and keep my health insurance until I get Medicare.

You might be able to find outside medical insurance for a surprisingly low cost. It assumes you don't have worrisome pre-existing conditions that require expensive ongoing treatments.

We do a Christian based cost-sharing program. With unlimited lifetime benefits it costs us $450/month. That's total for both of us. I know the premiums are going up a little bit Jan 1 but not hugely.

The new deductible will be $1k per event. Something like a broken bone is an event, so all costs related to that broken bone are covered minus $1k. A heart/lung transplant covered with $1k deductible.

Chronic needs medicines are not covered, so high cholesterol meds etc are not covered.

A pre-existing condition is excluded for 2 years. That's if you've had symptoms or treatment in the last 3 years for that condition, so it will be covered after 2 years on the plan.

This is much better than we found using the Obamacare exchange in our state. It is also cheaper than we were paying when I was full time employed, with better coverage.

If medical insurance is your only reason to stay, you might find you have options.

Also, make sure they do not know you are trapped there. I made that mistake one time and they took advantage big time.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hang in, get your benefits, sounds like you are not in the position to hire a senior person?

Work hard, get your package, then find a way out, start planning the exit now, get out of MA, find a state that appreciates your philosophy and come back to visit.

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
But, how can you tell M/F or POC from a piece of paper? Or are people putting those on their resumes these days?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15374 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I did not know there was a black Little Mermaid. Anyhow, I really should know better than to post this picture, but my wife asked me to do this for a party and I was a good sport. See pic below.

Regarding insurance, I think I can make it a couple years to keep the company benefit. But if there are other options that will be great. Long term plan is retire from this company in 2024 and get another job, potentially remote and move to Florida. We are planning our exit to Florida, but the market and our savings abilities will determine when. If I can work remote we may go sooner. But might not make it until I'm 59.5.

I don't hire senior leaders, but I do hire. I'm guessing HR will make sure the resumes I get are meeting the quotas. I won't hire based on race. But I have to pick from the people HR presents to me to interview.

Okay, have your laughs. Me and the wife this Halloween.

These go to eleven.