SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinion sought - Craftsman 54" (Kohler 26HP Courage)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion sought - Craftsman 54" (Kohler 26HP Courage) Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I am hoping some may own this or a similar model, and can give me the skinny:

917.280080 (YT4500)

We have about an acre. My 22-year old MTD is already junked, so I want to get something decent (mid-grade) since we're on a budget.

I found a 4-year old model with 100 hours on it. $700

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I had one - no issues - great product and when new at $2600 was half the price of an "equal" JD.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the mower, but that engine is solid. I'm doing annual maintenance on the 25CH that powers my Turf Tiger tomorrow so I can mow on Saturday. Woohoo!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kohler makes good engines. Unfortunately the remainder of the parts on that tractor/mower are Craftsman.

My experience with Craftsman mowers is that ordering and receiving the correct spare parts from Sears is painful and that term is charitable.

Also, please consider that Sears appears to be fading from the retail scene. They are reported to have sold the Craftsman brand. I don't have much hope that will improve the spare parts supply for older equipment.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
NOT a fan of the Craftsman mowers. Fine if You like to tinker and have a small yard.

My neighbor buys them and I used to help him with belts and other issues REGULARLY. As I have gotten older and don't care to skin up my knuckles on those rotten belts, I have stopped answering his calls. Saw the other day he has a new KUBOTA.

Parts an issue as well. We got the wrong belt twice. Sears swore it was the correct one. It was too short. Nope. Not a fan of craftsman mowers.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law used to get them all the time from the scrap yard. Most of them needed rear ends but the motors were strong. Take a look into Case/Ingersoll. Built like tanks and will last a lifetime. Check craigslist as they can be had for around the same price. You can check out www.casecoltingersoll.com for any questions you might have.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have that exact machine and we have used it to maintain 5 acres since 2011. It has been used hard, but parts are not really a problem and maintenance is fairly easy. Craftsman doesn't really make anything, so the parts are available through a local mower store. Just go in with the model number and their computer will tell them what parts will fit the mower.

I now have a bit of an oil leak around one of the gaskets for the OHV, but it's not too bad and should be relatively easy to replace anyway.

I also need new rear tires at this point, but that's to be expected after 6 years in the Florida sun.

I don't know if that is a good price or not, but the mower looks pretty clean. It should have an hour meter right near the steering wheel that will give you an idea of how much time is on the engine.

Not exact mine you, because if someone forgot to turn off the key, the meter keeps running even if the engine has stopped due to the seat safety, etc.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
That Courage line of Kohler engines seems pretty reliable. I have a smaller one in a log splitter and it runs decent enough.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post