SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell phone gurus, a moment of your time please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phone gurus, a moment of your time please Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted
I couldn't fill a thimble with what I know about phones and carriers. I have basically zero interest in this stuff so I can't motivate myself to get educated the old fashioned way. Your assistance is appreciated. Please try not to get technical or my eyes will glaze over Big Grin

I've been using Virgin Mobile for many years with no complaints. I basically get unlimited service for around $35-$40 per month with no contract. I've been notified that my account will now be migrated over to Boost, a company I know nothing about.

My current phone is ancient; it's at least 5 years old. It's starting to give me trouble so I'm in desperate need of a new one. This is an opportunity to start fresh with a new carrier.

Here's what I want:
No contract
I buy my phone; no lease, no payments, no bs
Around $40/month unlimited talk and text, with generous data
Android

What say you?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Everything but Android for me, as the eyePhone is my preference but thats a good list.

However you can find refurb phones both Eye and Android at Woot an Amazon company....

https://www.woot.com/category/...ef=w_cnt_cdet_elec_2

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart Straight Talk.

Buy a phone from them or from Amazon.

Wife and two adult kids are on it.
if you add a second phone it is really cheap I think it was like 15 dollars to ad the wife after our youngest daughter had a phone.

Carrier is T-Mobile and they just merged with Sprint. So coverage will only get better.

Good Luck.

https://www.straighttalk.com/w...FPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Virgin Mobile and Boost both use Sprint network so you should not see any change in service. You should be able to keep using your old phone and Boost will still be no contract and probably very similar rates.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I recommend Consumer Cellular. Excellent pricing that you select what amount you need. They have no contract, I-phones if you buy from them they will tack it on your monthly bill. Been a customer 5 years, excellent service.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We use Cricket, kinda like Boost but reasoning was more for less $$ with multiple lines.

I use an iPhone 6, though most on the plan(5) have an 8. The cost is $132 for 5 lines, per month.

A biggie is that the carrier works at your home & where you mostly are. Around here Sprint is a no-go. Cricket uses AT&T system.

Our plan is mostly unlimited, can’t go over.

We previously had a ‘full service’ carrier & plan, this is much cheaper.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I didn't know that Boost was on the same network as VM. This may be the path of least resistance if I can get a decent phone.

I'm still going to check out the other options mentioned. I have no need of additional lines so that isn't a factor.

posted Hide Post
Motorola Moto e5 5.7" 16GB Tracfone w/8MP Camera & 1500 Min/Text/Data
year of service $70.00.

You would have to buy additional time/data if you are a heavy user

https://www.hsn.com/products/m...a-and-1500-/8879320#

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have always used T-Mobile. If you are over 60, you can get 2 lines with unlimited everything for $70.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have an iPhone 7S I think - its a few years old - certainly not the latest/greatest - don't need it

I was wondering if there was any way I can turn off the microphone without powering down the phone

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
OK, so I decided to stay with Boost and just buy a new phone. I was under the naive and very misguided impression that this would be the path of least resistance and headache. Went to a Boost store and bought a Moto G7 Play.

WHAT AN EPIC PAIN IN THE BALLS this turned out to be.

Remember, i haven't bought a phone in about 6 or 7 years. Thought perhaps technology evolved to the point that everything on my old phone would transfer to the new one. Not so.

Wifi settings, reject call list, text conversations, blacklist, general settings, apps etc. all gone. Contacts had to be transferred and approved one at a time. Same with photos which I told the woman to just stop. I would have been there until Monday afternoon.

I figured I'd just go home and spend my whole damn evening getting this phone set up. Open the box it came in, no manual. WTF!

I intend to protect this phone with my life Big Grin Not going through this shit again anytime soon.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
OK, so I decided to stay with Boost and just buy a new phone. I was under the naive and very misguided impression that this would be the path of least resistance and headache. Went to a Boost store and bought a Moto G7 Play.

WHAT AN EPIC PAIN IN THE BALLS this turned out to be.

Remember, i haven't bought a phone in about 6 or 7 years. Thought perhaps technology evolved to the point that everything on my old phone would transfer to the new one. Not so.

Wifi settings, reject call list, text conversations, blacklist, general settings, apps etc. all gone. Contacts had to be transferred and approved one at a time. Same with photos which I told the woman to just stop. I would have been there until Monday afternoon.

I figured I'd just go home and spend my whole damn evening getting this phone set up. Open the box it came in, no manual. WTF!

I intend to protect this phone with my life Big Grin Not going through this shit again anytime soon.

Here's is your manual in pdf form.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-a...es/I/A1YpsVq4wTL.pdf

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^
Yeah a common problem. You would think that problem would be solved, but it seems the technology revolves around adding new unneeded bells and whistles.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
Get the Verizon Content Transfer app
I have used this to transfer date to new phones several times.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by pilot99:
Get the Verizon Content Transfer app
I have used this to transfer date to new phones several times.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Thank you!

Not a problem. If you want it on your phone just email it to yourself and save it. That way you'll have it with you at all times.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the other responses, but I recommend shopping for a refurbished phone here:

https://www.gazelle.com/

I bought a refurbished iPhone 6S Plus and all it had on it was a teeny tiny scratch on the glass. It's rugged, as I've dropped it several times and the glass/screen didn't break. I believe it's manufactured with Gorilla Glass.

Here's an "unlocked" iPhone 6s Plus:

https://buy.gazelle.com/collec...-plus-128gb-unlocked

"Unlocked" means it's not tied to any specific carrier and you can use whatever plan you want from any carrier.

Gazelle has a number of deals on their site...

Hope that helps!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Visible.

It's a subsidiary of Verizon.

$40 all in, unlimited everything.

It's cheaper if you join a party - 5 family members or strangers, doesn't matter, then it's $25 a month.

They have a limited number of supported Android phones. They also sell them, but I suggest not skimping. You can also buy a supported model somewhere else and use it on their network. They have tool on the website to check if your phone is compatible.

I just helped another person join their service and they seem quite pleased. Coming from Sprint, anything would have been better.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post