SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I really haven't taken this new Covid-19 very seriously ...

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I really haven't taken this new Covid-19 very seriously ... Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
We survived the Swine flu, Bird flu, H1N1, H3N2 and I don't know how many other flu strains ... and just like the other strains, it most negatively effects the old, the young and people with weak immune systems.

As I'm over 60 have COPD, prone to bronchitis and pneumonia and have a few other health issues, I'm still doing the common sense stuff like washing my hands ...
--
Last year, as of April 2019, levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) in the United States remained elevated for the 21 consecutive weeks - the longest season in recent years.
--
In its estimates on flu impact LAST year(11 months ago), the CDC said the disease has sickened from 36 million to 41.3 million people that season through Apr 13, 2019 of whom 16.7 million to 19.4 million sought medical care. In addition, the disease has hospitalized 502,000 to 610,000 patients and KILLED 34,400 to 57,300 PEOPLE.

This is data is fr0m the CDC and ONLY for the United States.
--
Is this to be taken lightly?
Of course not, however last year, no grocery stores were wiped out, no schools were closed, and most definitely no businesses were closed ... and yet with this new strain we seem to be loosing our minds.

I can only attribute this to our polarized political climate and since they can't impeach President Trump, he must still be blamed! The 24 hour "news" must have something to keep their ratings up ... so, it must be Trump's Fault! (LOL)
--
I'm not sure where to get these, but I'd almost get an ear pierced just to have one;

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5708 | Registered: January 11, 2007Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
We survived the Swine flu, Bird flu, H1N1, H3N2 and I don't know how many other flu strains ... and just like the other strains, it most negatively effects the old, the young and people with weak immune systems.
This is not the flu, it an acute respiratory disease with a transmission rate like a common cold and much higher fatality rates than the flu.

The table above came from this good, factual, calm explanation by a medical doctor of why the steps being taken need be taken for the Wuhan virus

Besides the roughly 2% fatality rate, there is also:
  • the ~3% critical case rate (i.e. live but ventilators and ICU)
  • the ~15% severe cases. Not sure how much medical resources these take but I dont' want to find out.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    Lawyers, Guns
    and Money
    Picture of chellim1
    posted Hide Post
    How many new threads do we need?
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...5/m/9320007564/p/160

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
    -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
    -rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
    Picture of Kraquin
    posted Hide Post
    It is really amazing that there are people who do not care if they transmit this disease directly or indirectly to the most vulnerable. It's no different than having an STD and unprotected sex.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I stopped by a local firearms shop, this afternoon. A gentleman outside was armed, and stopping people at the door. A gaggle of people were gathered outside the door.

"I'm forming a line." He said. "Only ten allowed in the store at any one time."

Good thinking. No chance that the people gathered outside the door will infect one another.

Brilliant.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a good question... My wife volunteers for Meals on Wheels. Should she stop delivering to the most vulnerable in our society, you know the ones that need all the nourishment they can get, or should she keep delivering? Looking forward to the answers, we are in a conundrum.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    Oh boy! Another Wu Flu thread!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I wouldn't panic but I would suggest you take this virus seriously. While it's true the media is sensationalizing their reporting of the virus to try and damage President Trump it's also true the virus is a real issue in Europe, especially Italy, and countries in the Middle East. From what I understand S Korea did an excellent job containing the virus early on which is what these extraordinary measures now being taken in the US are designed to do. I found a news channel out of Japan, NHK, that simply reports the facts without the sensationalism you get from the American media.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Actually I was hoping you would help address the mind fuck we're in right now. I respect your opinion, well other than that whole Linux thingBig Grin

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by chellim1:
    How many new threads do we need?
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...5/m/9320007564/p/160

Some won't be satisfied until Evey post on front page is Wu Tang Virus.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20833 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bytes:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Actually I was hoping you would help address the mind fuck we're in right now. I respect your opinion, well other than that whole Linux thingBig Grin

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm as clueless as the next guy Smile

I've expressed my opinions on what's happened, what's happening, government action, peoples' actions and reactions, pretty frequently over in the "main" Wu Flu thread. I'm disinclined to repeat them in this one.

Well, other than this: It's only a mind fuck if you let "them" fuck with your mind Wink

That and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post