SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Excel gurus....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excel gurus.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Is there a way to have a cell round another cell to the nearest whole number?

For example 46.6 would be 47, 46.3 would be 43.

Not just for the display, I know you can select how many decimals you want to see and it will round that, but I want it to round and use that rounded number for a calculation in another cell.

Example... when do I need more widgets?

I have 1.9 days of inventory, its 2/8 today so that should last until 2/10

But If had 1.2 days, I would need more 2/9

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Is it always going to be a number with a single digit after the decimal?

If so, if A1 is the cell you want to round the number of:

=ROUND(A1,0)

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
You can use the round function.

Lets say the number you want rounded is in cell A1

In cell A2 you would type =round(A1,0)

Any number you type in A1 will be rounded up or down to the appropriate whole number (e.g. 412.4 will round to 412, 412.6 will round to 413).

If you want to round the result of any equation, just wrap parenthesis around equation and drop it in the round function (e.g. =round((equation),0)

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had the same response, but others beat me to it. (I'm not a guru, but I've played with Excel a lot.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
You could also just format the cells to be a numbers and set the number of decimal places you want to see. It will then round the last decimal.

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to create a new value that always goes up to next whole number, you could try this:

Cell A2 has original value, such as =355/113 (a very accurate ffraction for PI)

In cell B2, place this formula
=IF(A2-TRUNC(A2)>0,TRUNC(A2)+1,A2)

Edited to add...this only works with positive values.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, cues from previous posts leads us to this...

cell A2 as -20.00000000001
cell B2 as =roundUP(A2)

Makes next higher whole number regardless if positive or negative

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
OK, cues from previous posts leads us to this...

cell A2 as -20.00000000001
cell B2 as =roundUP(A2,0)

Makes next higher whole number regardless if positive or negative

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone! Round function was the trick. My sheet is working awesome now.

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is there a way to have a cell round another cell to the nearest whole number?

For example 46.6 would be 47, 46.3 would be 43.

Not just for the display, I know you can select how many decimals you want to see and it will round that, but I want it to round and use that rounded number for a calculation in another cell.

Example... when do I need more widgets?

I have 1.9 days of inventory, its 2/8 today so that should last until 2/10

But If had 1.2 days, I would need more 2/9

With that logic and 1.9 days of inventory, you are gonna have to go home early on 2/09

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Lol it doesn't have to be perfect, i just wanted it to be as close as possible.