SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interpol chief missing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interpol chief missing Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://www.independent.co.uk/...latest-a8569876.html

Interpol chief missing: French police launch investigation into President Meng Hongwei's disappearance

Meng Hongwei, 64, has not been heard from since travelling to China in late September

Chris Baynes
5 hours ago

French police have launched an investigation into the disappearance of Interpol‘s president.

Meng Hongwei, a Chinese government minister, was reported missing after travelling to his native country last week.

The 64-year-old lives in Lyon with his wife and children, who have not heard from him since he left for China on 29 September, according to reports.

French police sources told Reuters and radio station Europe 1 that Mr Meng’s family had been unable to contact him or locate his whereabouts.

Mr Meng was elected president of Interpol, which helps global police forces co-operate on investigations, in November 2016.

He is also China’s deputy minister of public security, and has previously served as head of the country’s counter-terrorism office, drugs control commission, and coast guard.

His term as Interpol’s chief is due to run until 2020.

In a statement, the organisation said: “Interpol is aware of media reports in connection with the alleged disappearance of Interpol president Meng Hongwei.

“This is a matter for the relevant authorities in both France and China.”

Interpol said secretary-general Jurgen Stock, rather than Mr Meng, was the “full-time official responsible for the day-to-day running” of the organisation.

It added: “Interpol’s General Secretariat headquarters will not comment further.”

Human rights campaigners expressed alarm over Mr Meng’s close links to the Chinese government when he took up the presidency two years ago.

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch voiced fears China could look to exploit his position to pursue dissidents abroad.

Interpol has not yet responded to a request for comment on Mr Meng’s reported disappearance.

Q

Posts: 26495 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They should Interpol put out an BOLO for him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange story all the way around.I never knew Interpol had a president

Posts: 12743 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard this on Fox News tonight, and found it unbelievable that the head of Interpol could be missing a week and nobody noticed.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I heard this on Fox News tonight, and found it unbelievable that the head of Interpol could be missing a week and nobody noticed.

He went back to his home country China, according to the article. So everyone assumed he would return at the scheduled time. But then, he didn't.

Q

Posts: 26495 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is the vice president of Interpol?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Who is the vice president of Interpol?

He went missing three weeks ago and was replaced by:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russian Set To Take Over Interpol In Latest "Kremlin Victory"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...buse-arrest-warrants

Russian official Alexander Prokopchuk is set to become the next head of Interpol, in what The Times calls a "significant victory for the Kremlin" in spite of concerns that Moscow has been using the international policing agency to target political opponents.

If elected, the 56-year-old Russian interior ministry veteran would replace Meng Hongwei, the still-missing former president who resigned last month amid an investigation by Chinese anti-corruption authorities.

Meng was taken for questioning by Chinese "discipline authorities" after taking a September 25 flight from Stockholm. The day he disappeared he texted his wife Grace an emoji of a knife, implying his life was in danger. She reported him missing on October 4.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Meng was taken for questioning by Chinese "discipline authorities" after taking a September 25 flight from Stockholm. The day he disappeared he texted his wife Grace an emoji of a knife, implying his life was in danger. She reported him missing on October 4.

Chinese citizen, one of the first to hold an international leadership position, detained by the ChiComs because he wasn't doing the bidding of the party.

Posts: 14694 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strange story all the way around.I never knew Interpol had a president
SAME HERE

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
This $hit is quite simple, he got missing in China, The Chinese took him. No one is gonna take such an Important man under the nose of the Chinese.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post