Main Page
The Lounge
Study Finds 89% of Avocado Oil-labeled Processed Foods Tested Contain Other OilsGo ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
I saw a YouTube video on it this morning so I tracked down the news release from UC Davis who performed the study. The part that jumped out at me was "Researchers found that of the products tested, 93% of chips, 71% of mayonnaises and 100% of salad dressings labeled as authentic avocado oil contained other oils." I switched to Avocado oil many years ago due to high smoke point, but it's gotten popular with the move away from seed oils. For health reasons, I've purchased several products that were supposedly made with avocado oil. From the sounds of it, industry fixed olive oil many years ago and the same needs to happen to avocado oil.
Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | ||
|
| Member |
If true, there are CEO's that need to be removed from office and criminally charged. The buck stops with them. This seems to focus on products made with avocado oil (ie - chips). But what about just plain avocado oil (ie - Marianne's sold at costco)? "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| No More Mr. Nice Guy |
There is, apparently, no legal definition of Avocado oil. According to Dr. Berg iirc a study showed "100%" avocado oil in bottles sold in grocery stores was rarely that. | |||
|
Member![]() |
Chosen Foods advertises as 100% Avacado oil and the label states that UC Davis tested it. | |||
|
| Team Apathy |
I saw another article about this a while back and I seem to recall that Marianne's and Chosen Foods were two of the few that actually passed the test. | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
^^ Yes, Those were pointed out in YouTube video as the only two who passed. Unfortunately, UC Davis didn't list who failed. Quite a contrast to Olive Oil where industry efforts have resulted in only 1 (5%) didn't pass. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
| His diet consists of black coffee, and sarcasm. ![]() |
OK, so avocado oil might not be 100% pure. But the article doesn't say what other oils, or what percentage of them the avocado oil actually contains.
Criminally?
In the same vein as: Aside from the so-called purity, the only legitimate issue I see with this is being or quickly going rancid, either at the point of origin or shortly after opening the bottle for the first time. These "other" oils, whatever they may be, could be a contributor, perhaps from themselves being rancid or increasing the rate at which the avocado becomes rancid. | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
ScienceDirect has the actual study. 30 different products were tested so 1 answer unlikely. Most of it appears to be soybean, sunflower or safflower oils as it fit tests for fatty acid, sterol, and triglycerides. They saw some at 50% adulterated and some 100% adulterated. All of this was supposed to be 100% avocado oil. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
| The Ice Cream Man |
Highly unlikely the U.S. company is knowingly lying on the ingredient label. That is a major issue and can result in handcuffs. Adulterated food is a serious issue, but it’s also just straight fraud. (At least in dairy, NO ONE adulterates it. At least not if you’re sane.) BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active. | |||
|
| Member |
100% pure Avocado Oil* *plus other oils _______________________________ Do the interns get Glocks? | |||
|
| Run Silent Run Deep ![]() |
60% of the time it works every time. …it’s backed by studies. _____________________________ Pledge allegiance or pack your bag! The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money. - Margaret Thatcher Spread my work ethic, not my wealth | |||
|
| No More Mr. Nice Guy |
If there is no legal definition of what avocado oil is, they can lawfully claim anything. Yes, deceptive to the consumer who assumes the common understanding of what an avocado is, but not illegal. | |||
|
thin skin can't win![]() |
Why do I care about the smoke point in a prepared product? If this were a test of an actual bottle of avocado oil, I can see the indignation. You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02 | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
For health reasons, many people have moved away from seed oils to avocado oil. For example, I have a bag of tortilla chips on my counter supposedly made with avocado oil that I purchased before seeing the YouTube video or finding the article. It is one of the ones that failed. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
What do the labels of these products say? If a bag of chips says it's made with avocado oil and the ingredient list says avocado oil and list 50 other types of oil, then the label would be truthful. | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
I can't speak for others, but my bag of chips that failed the only oil listed on the ingredient list is avocado oil. It turns out that small Texas chip company was bought out by a large conglomerate 2 years ago. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
Member![]() |
These reports need to start putting names to the products. If the product simply says "Made with Avocado Oil", then I do not expect 100% avocado oil. If the product says "Made with 100% Avocado Oil", and it's not, I want product and company names. I want to know who the lying scumbags are so I do not buy their products. If the fault lies with those supplying the oil, then the product manufacturers need to have some serious discussions with their oil suppliers. _________________________________________________________________________ “A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.” -- Mark Twain, 1902 | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
Here's the study: Authenticity of avocado and olive oils used as ingredients in commercially processed foods Names are apparently named in the "Supplement contents" which are not included in the link above. There's a link to a spreadsheet in the Appendix, but it doesn't show brand names when I pull it up in Excel on my tablet. Found it: Brand information in Authenticity of avocado and olive oils used as ingredients in commercially processed foods I looked at the labels of a couple of the potato chip brands that failed and they only mentioned avocado oil. I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the test methods, but could the discrepancy be due to residual oil? A company making potato chips probably makes a variety of them. It's likely the varieties are made with the same equipment, but in different batches. Is it possible when a kettle of olive oil is emptied and avocado oil is poured in that some olive oil remains? Would that affect these tests? | |||
|
Drill Here, Drill Now![]() |
When I posted the study yesterday, I also dove into what the substituted oils were and it identified multiple products that were 50% and 100% adulterated oils. There is a 0% chance those levels of adulteration were from residual. That level of adulteration is either intentional or negligence (eg lining up process to wrong oil drum/tank). Negligence less likely of two considering the overall failure rate, and industry's previous experience improving quality/purity of olive oil. The blending or substitution most likely done by oil processor or broker. Both of which are in Mexico. Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. | |||
|
| Member |
About 25 years ago I was delivering to a food company. A guy came by and threw a few sticks of butter into a large vat of product, looked at me and laughed and said now we can put on the label "Made with real Butter". I've been skeptical of labels ever since. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|
Main Page
The Lounge
Study Finds 89% of Avocado Oil-labeled Processed Foods Tested Contain Other Oils
