SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strategic placement ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strategic placement ? Login/Join 
posted
I know some of you say that you carry even when you are in your own home . FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T ...do you have a gun stashed in other places in your home other than the nightstand , etc. ? I'm not advocating for or against this strategy . I'm just curious if anybody else thinks it's a good idea ? I understand about the hazards of small children in the home so we don't need to go down that path .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I will carry a holstered gun in the house if I know I'm going to be running errands or something during the day as well. If I'm home for the day I have a gun on the end table right next to me by the couch. When I go upstairs at night the gun goes with me and sits on the night stand next to the bed.

If I know my three and half year old grandson is stopping by the gun goes in the backroom in a closet on the upper shelf. No danger of him getting but still accessible if needed.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yessir , but that's not really what I'm asking . I'm talking about permanent strategic placement for an " oh shit " moment when you do not have a weapon on you .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RFI Hornady pistol safe on the end table next to where I sit most of the time. Quick access but better security and out of sight of visitors or maintenance people.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally , I keep a handgun in an out of sight , out of mind location in my Foyer . If somebody knocks on the door that I don't recognize I can retrieve it as I head to the door .

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Ever since the Norcal Rapist visited my home years ago I carry all the time at home except when I'm in the shower or the pool or in bed.

In bed, it's in the bookcase headboard. When I'm in the shower or pool, Mrs. Flash has one on her.

I also have other guns stashed here and there in the house as backups.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If I have pants on, I have a gun on. Sometimes it’s uncomfortable and I put it on the end table next to me while on the couch.

I also have a 357 revolver in a drawer (& in a safe box)near the front door in case I’ve somehow forgotten to pick up the one off the end table.

I can’t see out my front door as the glass is privacy glass and is in a “rain” pattern, so the door doesn’t get unlocked until I have a gun in hand

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yes. shotgun under the bed full of 00Buck.
.357 beside the sofa. .40 beside the desk. Whatever I carried that day in the kitchen where I empty my pockets. shotgun in my shop downstairs.
Etc.

All the rooms I would normally frequent during an evening or weekend day have something readily available to hand.

When kids show up, I rearrange as necessary depending on age and intelligence level.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
When in the house I have a nightstand gun, a coffee table gun, a reading chair gun, and my daily carry gun rests on the bar with my keys and such, all placed during waking hours. At bedtime they all retreat to the bedroom & then just the nightstand gun is placed. Just the wife & me, and the dogs are not shooters, although the cat is shady.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have my safes in the garage. I have several small safes that hold pistols throughout my house. Pantry, just inside from garage. Foyer coat closet, between family room, front room/bathroom and front door. One in my closet in my master bathroom and one under my bed.

When I'm outside doing yard work I typically just carry my G42 so I have something small and light that doesn't get in the way.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I have multiple loaded Firearms (handguns) 'stashed' in quick access 'safes' throughout my home (two on the first floor and one on the second floor). I plan to add another once I've completed my workshop in the basement, which is essentially ground level with entry/access through the garage. Additionally, I have an AR15 available on each floor of the house as well, each with a loaded 'standard capacity' Magazine nearby.

I also have 26" Aluminum T-Ball Bats adjacent to every entry door, just in case. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Yessir , but that's not really what I'm asking . I'm talking about permanent strategic placement for an " oh shit " moment when you do not have a weapon on you .

Gotcha. Here's a link for a write up about your specific question. Just read it earlier. Some good info but as most gun blogs it's one man's opinion of how to safely stage guns in you're house for home defense. Ymmv.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I have multiple loaded Firearms (handguns) 'stashed' in quick access 'safes' throughout my home (two on the first floor and one on the second floor). I plan to add another once I've completed my workshop in the basement, which is essentially ground level with entry/access through the garage. Additionally, I have an AR15 available on each floor of the house as well, each with a loaded 'standard capacity' Magazine nearby.

I also have 26" Aluminum T-Ball Bats adjacent to every entry door, just in case. Wink

I like the bats. Instead, I have a pepper spray keychain thang hanging off a nail at each main door. About eye level, so I can grab and spray their face.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one on each floor positioned to where I would retreat to, so as not be cornered w/o some means of defense.

I live alone, and tidy up a bit when family gathers with the grandbabies. Then, I wouldn't be alone either.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1987 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
All kind of defensive choices available. One key strategic line of defense is a bunch of well trained German shepherds. Somebody’s gotta go through them before even you see me.

I also carry most anytime outside and sometimes in the house. But the dogs and other security measures make this house a poor choice for those w bad intentions. I don’t really sweat it.

It is funny how many magazines end up around the house on counters, mantels, shelves, etc. Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
When in the house I have a nightstand gun, a coffee table gun, a reading chair gun, and my daily carry gun rests on the bar with my keys and such, all placed during waking hours. At bedtime they all retreat to the bedroom & then just the nightstand gun is placed. Just the wife & me, and the dogs are not shooters, although the cat is shady.

What no Bathroom gun Big Grin

Just joking and actually wish I would have had a special built in place for my pistols in the bathroom when we did the remodel last year.

And yes, I carry most times and also have "stashed' roscoes in certain places where I spend most my time or believe it makes sense ...no more than 3 stashed besides bedside gun.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have strategic defense and offense weapons located around my house, shop, workplace, vehicles, etc. IN ADDITION to what is typically on my person, in my get-home bag, briefcase, etc.

That's what makes P80's and Glocks so attractive. You can cheaply have dozens of them wherever you need them. I'm a pretty large fan of the carbine though or similar. To me a shotty in every situation, a carbine in every situation, and a secondary and tertiary weapon choice as well. Grab the best tool for the situation. I also keep other weapons like air guns, dart guns, and airsoft/paintball. Not every situation calls for lethal force. Moose that won't move for the daughter to get home? Pop it in the rump with airsoft, it'll mosey on down to the next house's front bushes.

Since you cannot always anticipate when the need for defensive and offensive tools will arise, it's best to have them within arm-reach at all times. I don't always want to carry them, especially in pajamas, so some extras around the house works good for me. Having children has required more creativity at times, but my children can't be to blame for me not being prepared. The preparation and protection of family is the adult's responsibility. The opinions of others plays into this not even in the slightest. Relevant advice is appreciated, judgement is ignored.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
For those of you that keep multiple weapons around the house do you ever worry that if someone or several people broke into your home that they may find one or more of your weapons and use it against you?

For me, I keep a pistol nearby and an AR in my closet…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yes. You have to know where a gun is to find it in my place.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
For those of you that keep multiple weapons around the house do you ever worry that if someone or several people broke into your home that they may find one or more of your weapons and use it against you?

In my case it's more a question of I won't leave the house w/o all firearms being secured in the safe. I already have to make up to two trips to the safe, depending upon how many are out with which I'm dry-fire practicing.

The other concern is fire. It's already enough to worry about evacuating our cats and ourselves, but a bunch of firearms all over the place, too?

Ours is a small home with a very open floor plan, so I'm really never far from the bedside home defense pistol or whatever's out for my current carry pistol.

I have idly thought about somehow mounting a generic holster, into which most of my pistols will fit, to the side of my easy chair, though Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post