SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strategic placement ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strategic placement ? Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
For those of you that keep multiple weapons around the house do you ever worry that if someone or several people broke into your home that they may find one or more of your weapons and use it against you?

For me, I keep a pistol nearby and an AR in my closet…

The purpose of having them staged is so I always have one within reach without having it strapped on my body while in my comfy house duds. Someone would have to be able to kick in my door, navigate the dogs freaking out, & find one of the staged heaters before I offered up some leaking vents to dissuade them. I feel pretty comfortable I have the advantage. It may not be a perfect plan, but it's better than no plan.

Those guns are only out while I'm in the house. When I'm gone they're in the safe.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not me. It's all in the safe. Wink

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you that keep multiple weapons around the house do you ever worry that if someone or several people broke into your home that they may find one or more of your weapons and use it against you?

Not in the least.

I don't keep them in plain sight, most people even welcomed into my house would never see or find one without ransacking the house looking.

If I'm not home and they have time to do that...then oh, well. Insurance. If anyone is home though, it seems very unlikely that ransacking would get far enough to find one of the weapons prior to their private parts getting shot off.

I also...*gasp* keep guns in my vehicles. Which lots of people get their panties into a twist over. I couldn't care less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is a consideration. If I came home and found evidence some one had entered or I thought some one was inside, I would not enter, because they could have accessed my gun.

With a 4 year old grand daughter visiting, my pistol is located in a very high, unacessible location for a toddler, (not a closet), but accessible to me.

Gun safes are really the safest option. But slow, even with the best safes to access quickly.

I also find the "book" style hollowed out books, in a bookcase to be a good option for a pistol.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My house's floor plan has the great room in the center with the bedrooms om one side and the kitchen and dining room/office on the other side.
My carry gun goes in a drawer by the front door when I get home along with my keys, wallet and stuff and I have pistols stashed in the master bedroom and the office.
No matter which direction any threat might come from, I can go the other direction and have a gun.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you that keep multiple weapons around the house do you ever worry that if someone or several people broke into your home that they may find one or more of your weapons and use it against you?…

They aren't laying out in plain view. They are in a spot easy to grab - IF you know where to look/grab/unlock/etc. But just walking into the house and moving from room to room; you'll never see a gun without searching. If you're getting shot at and yelled at - you aren't going to have time to look for stashed guns.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I do, but it's only recently, within the last ten years. I figured ya have all these guns, you might as well have some hidden throughout the house. Why not?

I don't worry about someone finding them an using them against me. I do think about me dying and no one ever finding them.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I do think about me dying and no one ever finding them.

Having been around a couple of people who put all sorts of things in all sorts of places, I can see that being a realistic fear.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, I don't worry about that at all.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The only time I placed weapons around the home was when the rioters decided to move their march from downtown Richmond to the suburbs. We had advance warning. I thought about where I would need items for defense, and placed them where I could defend and then retreat. It was not a fun summer here, that year.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The Wilderness Safepacker. Been using them in various sizes for many many years.

https://www.thewilderness.com/...concealment-holster/

Then pick up the packer backer so you can carry it as an OWB type rig if you want.

https://www.thewilderness.com/...r/the-packer-backer/

I have a safepacker with me at all times (with a HK P30 w/17 round factory magz or P30Sk with 10rd magz) in the house so much that I (and the girls I date) call it my murse.

Or I use this, which is also pretty handy. Sometimes instead of the safepacker I’ll just have this at the ready. It’s my EDC for when I go work the dog. The Fatboy is definitely more versatile as you can keep a nice EDC torch in it and other items. Same thing, it’ll have the P30 in it with a spare mag. If I’m lazy when I need to run to the grocery store, etc, a small necessity type run (Home Depot, etc) I’ll just grab the Fatboy because it’s always rigged out. For when I’m in a hurry and don’t want to fool with a belt, holster and rig out. I can be lazy and just grab the bag. I did have a guy at the grocery store one time snicker at me. I asked what was so funny. He said “I’ve never seen a man wear a purse before” and I replied “Oh it’s not a purse buddy. It’s a conceal carry holster with a whole bunch of pain in it. 35 rounds of +p JHP’s.” His snickering and jeering went to skurrrred in a nano second.

https://www.maxpedition.com/co...?variant=39445017041

Let me know if you want even larger options. I also have a pack for my Scorpion (braced) that I don’t use in the house that often (more for road trips) but it could do the exact same thing.

So above is small and medium options.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which has nothing to do with this thread .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Yes I do and I have no children. If I had children then I would have to do something different. I have a handgun, extra magazine, knife, and a flashlight hidden in ordinary looking objects in every single room of my home. That is in addition to the shotgun next to the bed and guns in the safe. I figure if my door gets kicked in or something, then I don’t want to be running somewhere to get a firearm. If I am cooking in the kitchen, chilling in the living room, using the restroom in a guest bedroom, etc then I am good to go. If I have adult company over then I remove those containers from the room they are in. If children are over, very rare, or if we leave town then everything goes in the safe. I now work mostly from home and my office is the first room next to front door and I have a shotgun and pistol right next to me. I don’t carry on me in the house as I like to wear my pajama bottoms and a t-shirt while at home. If someone knocks on my door I don’t answer unless I know or expect them, but if for some reason I feel I need to answer then I have a gun on me at that moment.

ETA: I also have a surveillance camera system that notifies me of any movement on my property and I have live monitors I can see in my office while I work.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, on both floors of the house and in the garage. However, I don't leave one in my truck overnight which is parked in the driveway.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A friend passed away and his family found things stashed in various parts of the house for months. A few things he had were never found.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

A friend passed away and his family found things stashed in various parts of the house for months. A few things he had were never found.

This is a good point. I have told vested people where my will and important documents are located. One document in the safe deposit box lists all of my accounts and passwords to everything from phones, computers, and all accounts. I have a spreadsheet on my computer with all firearms and their serial numbers I own, but now I think I want to print out that spreadsheet and include it in that box as someone my not find that document on my computer.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
One of the nice things about having a lot of guns is that I am never far from one or two regardless of where I am in the house.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post