SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New ATF proposed rule. Gun powder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New ATF proposed rule. Gun powder Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
New proposed rule. You must report your gun powder and location of storage.

https://youtu.be/anS4LBS5IcU?si=kNWv0A45O-qZGCgc

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Another Guntuber drumming up clicks in hopes of raking in that ad and sponsorship revenue.

Smokeless small arms powder, as well as black powder in quantities below 50 pounds, is already exempt from the federal explosive materials licensing and storage regulations, as long as it's intended for personal/non-commercial use in small arms ammunition reloading and antique/muzzleloading firearms.

So this additional explosive materials storage regulation would likewise not appear to apply to the several pounds of reloading powder in your basement, or the few pounds of black powder you keep on hand for muzzleloading season.

This is aimed at larger scale, commercial explosive materials users/retailers/transporters/manufacturers/warehousers.

(Besides, the reporting in this regulation would be made to your local fire department, not to some central federal gunpowder watchlist, or whatever.)

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with regulations like this, and no doubt the intention behind them, is to put pressure on small businesses like gun shops to comply in the hope that some percentage of them will stop stocking powder, thereby making it harder for consumers to acquire.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Besides, the reporting in this regulation would be made to your local fire department, not to some central federal gunpowder watchlist, or whatever.)

I shouldn't have to report anything to anyone Mad

Back in May the FBI tried to come in and do an audit of ccw permits in Missouri. If there is no list there is nothing to audit. Same goes for this new rule.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I shouldn't have to report anything to anyone Mad

Well, unless you're using gunpowder for commercial purposes, you won't. There is zero indication that this would apply to personal use gunpowder, which is exempt from all the other explosive materials storage regulation under the relevant statutes referenced in the proposed rule.

In fact, the proposed rule discusses that it's a modification of an existing rule for manufacturers and other commercial storers of explosives. (You did read the proposed rule, right... You didn't just take some talking head's word for it?)

If you were using gunpowder for commercial purposes, the ATF would already know it, because it requires an explosive materials license and ATF inspections. Plus, that process already involves an existing requirement for the business to notify their local fire department when they start engaging in explosives storage.

This new proposed rule merely expands that last part by adding an annual requirement for commercial explosive materials storers to update the fire department each year, rather than it just being a one-time notification at the beginning like it currently is. So this isn't even adding any new reporting system, just making sure the currently existing commercial explosive materials storage notification requirement that has been around since 1998 is kept updated regularly.

You're letting some Youtuber - who has an ulterior motive to generate fake clickbait outrage in order to drive engagement and turn a profit - manipulate you into a fake tizzy over a commercial regulation that won't even apply to you, and mostly already occurs.

Sex sells, but outrage (real or fake - doesn't matter) sells even more.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
How any one can watch more than 3 seconds of any of that dude’s videos is beyond me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25448 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
But... But... The men in black are coming for your gunpowder, and you should be ever so outraged about it! And please channel that outrage into clicking on more of my videos, liking, subscribing, and buying some of my merch. Don't forget to drop a comment below about how outraged you are, so the Youtube algorithm recognizes how much engagement my manipulation is generating and rewards me accordingly. Oh, and here's a word from today's sponsor...

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It has occurred to me to wonder about the possibility of generating addition income (to help fund the expense of all the things I learn that I “need” on SIGforum Wink). Who knows, it may be possible, but I won’t be doing it if it is slimy bloviating like this. Another “Armed Scholar”. Jeez.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
But... But... The men in black are coming for your gunpowder, and you should be ever so outraged about it! And please channel that outrage into clicking on more of my videos, liking, subscribing, and buying some of my merch. Don't forget to drop a comment below about how outraged you are, so the Youtube algorithm recognizes how much engagement my manipulation is generating and rewards me accordingly. Oh, and here's a word from today's sponsor...

Two words-

LEAD SMELTER

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Sorry.... I was trying to help.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Just cover up your gunpowder with a couple hundred pounds of weed, and then cover your weed with a gay-pride flag. The Feds will never find it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Two words -

What gunpowder?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Two words -

What gunpowder?

But you already have a license so.. They know you have it and where it's at.
When the Fire Marshal comes through to check the fire suppression off it will be just another box to check off once a year.

I would bet OSHA is up their ass more about it than the Fire marshal for larger companies.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a great respect for first responders and so a couple of years ago I put the appropriate labels on the two doors to my storage are where Items like this are located.... but they won't know it's there until they need to come in.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post