SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Custom cutting board help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom cutting board help Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Found a cutting board I wanted to get someone but the guy that makes them is no longer making them.

Anyone know a place that can do the same thing.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheB...=nla_listing_details

I like the islands of the OBX in the board.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that does them, but he's shut down for the winter (he's in MN).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15349 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just a point of note. I'd stay away from wood cutting boards that are a single piece of wood. Those can be prone to cup or twist with time due to moisture and expansion and contraction. Boards make from a glue up of multiple pieces of wood are usually more stable over time (hence the construction of butcher board).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What you need is someone with a laser engraver and you could send him the board.

Friend did this for us when we moved away...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah fire and pine can make them. They make maps and so forth on wood and can make whatever you want. Here's some of the NC maps on wood they already make

https://fireandpine.com/collections/north-carolina

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Don't know what it would cost, but I'm sure this guy can make you anything you want. WARNING: You may spend hours watching his videos. The stuff he makes is insane.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taylor Guitar makes cutting boards:

https://stellafalone.com/

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Big deal, that compass rose is wrong...E and W should be in the other positions....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Nice inlay work....very cool....he does need to take a closer look at his compass rose as has been pointed out.....don’t use that cutting board for navigation! Big Grin

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boos Bros. makes great cutting boards and if I recall from when I was in their shop at Effingham, IL they hadan area that could do personalizing. Might be worth giving them a call to verify.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those inlay wooden boards look too nice to be used as cutting boards. I'd hang it as art and use a plastic type for every day use.

I gave a wooden cutting board as a gift to a young couple. Well, they were entertaining a large group and let food get hardened on the board. They thought they would soak it a bit before washing. It swelled up soaking in water and all the glue lines split. Do NOT ever soak wood! Sounds like common sense, but they were young and dumb about this.

A friend of mine used to work at Scranton Products, who make restroom partitions from HDPE solid plastic material. He made me a cutting board that I still use two decades later. I can sterilize it with 50% solution of bleach as needed. My cutco knives, from the same time period, still have their original sharp edges.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Don't know what it would cost, but I'm sure this guy can make you anything you want. WARNING: You may spend hours watching his videos. The stuff he makes is insane.

His work is awesome. I've watched many of his videos and might try to do my own inlaid cutting board at some point. I've never seen a quoted price on those boards but I'd guess they're insanely expensive.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Big deal, that compass rose is wrong...E and W should be in the other positions....

I thought so too when I first watched the video - however, it turns out that might not be the case.

FAQ: Why are East and West reversed on some compass roses?: The reversed compass rose may cause some initial confusion, but in use it is obvious why the compass rose must have East and West reversed. When you are sighting directly North, the compass needle will point to North. If you turn 90 degrees to your left, you will be sighting due West, but the compass needle rotated 90 degrees to the right, which reads West on a properly reversed compass rose.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^after getting thru that description several times to make sense of it....yes if you are standing and facing north and then turn your body while still holding the compass, you will be looking west, but you also would have turned the compass with you and now the needle is pointing 90degrees and they have put West there so that you will know you are looking west.....but this is not how compasses are used when navigating.....some video games use these “flipped” compasses because the gamer is in an alternate universe.

Frankly, I wouldn’t pay money for something that is so out of whack that I would have to explain it to everyone who encountered it.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Comet, I can put you in contact with someone that doesn't beautiful work. Here's one of his pieces.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local Rockler and Woodcraft stores offer laser engraving on wood. Might be worth a call if you have one nearby.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. There are some beautiful options.

What I'm looking for is a specific type of design. This doesn't have to be made for hard use as it may likely just become a display although a quality design that can be used would be great also.

I want an engraved or inlaid design of the islands of the Outer Banks. This is a gift for someone.

The first few ones in the link in the original post is the design I want. The words would of course change or no writing at all. Just that design.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Needed by Christmas Comet? Looks easy enough to do for someone with the time

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any better than average cabinet maker could do that for you, no problem.

But!

Many of them are way too busy with the big jobs to be bothered with it right now.

A retired cabinet maker looking to involve himself with a small project,
a ND make a $150.00 would most likely make it up for you.

I wonder what the high school wood shop teachers are doing these days?

One of them might jump at the chance.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post