SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Refrigerator replacement time
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator replacement time Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
How timely. We just ordered a new Amana to replace our 11 year old Amana just to be proactive.

Backordered, of course... Roll Eyes

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I have a 40 year old GE. Still going strong. Probably getting near time though as the door pivot bushings are wobbly

Reminds me of the second hand GE I bought from an appliance dealer in 1974. A built like a tank refrigerator with rotating shelves that had been reconditioned by the dealer. I had it for 10 years and when I moved, sold it to a neighbor. Probably still has it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned Frigidaire.
We just bought one of their freezers because we'd been waiting for a YEAR on our order for a Maytag and the Frigidaire was available. They are owned by Electrolux.

Any experience?

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just don't get it. Why don't these things improve over time? It's not like it's new technology or anything. I know Toshiba and others sell appliances in Japan - wonder why they don't sell them here. I wonder if they would be like the Toyota's of refrigerators.

Samsung/LG appliances are indicative of their culture and not an absence of expertise. I generally would not buy major Korean products except to avoid a PRC product.

I have a Kenmore Elite made by Whirlpool that's lasted well for 20 years. Just replaced some solenoid early on and then the door bushings recently. Otherwise, it's been trouble free. I'd buy Whirlpool again assuming they haven't degraded over time. But following to see what other brands may be good alternatives.

I'm continually perplexed why Costco, who usually has good purchasers, sell Samsung/LG appliances.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm continually perplexed why Costco, who usually has good purchasers, sell Samsung/LG appliances.

Because most people buy on price and are willing to buy crap to save a few bucks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We just bought one of their freezers because we'd been waiting for a YEAR on our order for a Maytag and the Frigidaire was available. They are owned by Electrolux.

Any experience?

Can’t vouch for a newly built one, mine is 33 years old and still running strong. Back when refrigerators were still covered under my Service Guard plan I had the fan motor in the freezer replaced (the only thing I have had to do) and I asked the repairman what he would recommend replacing it with, if it failed and his answer was “I would fix this one, it would be cheaper than a new one and would be a better one than most available on the market.” I’m satisfied with my Frigidaire.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Bought a Whirlpool bottom freezer around 14 months ago.

LED lights at the top of the inside quit working 3 months ago. Repairman came right out, said it had a bad board and they'd order one.

I'm still waiting for it to arrive and be installed. Fortunately the LED lights on the sides work fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Any experience?

My frig is a 1983 and still going strong. Probably because I do not jamb it up against the wall but have a 1 1/2 foot space behind it.

During the time I have had it, I have replaced the thermostat twice.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Because most people buy on price and are willing to buy crap to save a few bucks.

We just bought a Whirlpool from Costco Carson City. The model we wanted was unattainable at Lowes & H-D, but Costco delivered, set up, hauled off in a week.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping for a new year.
Still liking whirpool, amama, frigidair,maytag ?
Hating LG and GE ? Costco no longer pushing LG. Wife wanted a bottom freezer, bought the only one I could find - Midea. Coldest the fridge gets is 41 degrees so it is going back. The delivery people had zero experience. Not even an appliance dolly......................

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We inherited an LG & GE French door friges when we bought our house (June 22). LG dishwasher, double oven & microwave too.
LG is a double drawer bottom freezer, GE is a single drawer with 3 drawers inside.
Trouble free so far.

I'm still anti-Frigidaire, really didn't like any of their appliances we had in our old house (2014 built home).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I had a Samsung french door. Hated it for the ice maker. Replaced with a Bosch french door, with ice in the freezer. Thing is solid.

Posts: 4021 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered a Whirlpool top freezer from Costco. Seems the days of picking up a new fridge in the store are going away. 5 day wait

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
GE = shit imho. Within first 6 mos fridge mother board r&r, covered under warranty, earlier this week 380.00 for fan r&r. Only 8 yo machine. My 6 yo GE washer was replaced 2 yrs back after I fixed it several times, now sporting a Speed Queen. If only my wife had listened first time around. No more GE anything for us. PS- Ive also made a few repairs to our GE dryer. That pos is next out the door!
On the upside my GE stock is rocking!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve posted this before but it bears repeating.

LG has to offer a 10 year warranty on their compressors because they got class actioned over their fridges dying off at such a staggering rate. Getting one of their machines repaired is a trip through the lowest circles of hell.

Samsung French door fridges are the most poorly designed and built appliances in history. Their customer service is absolute trash. My mother fought them over hers (door would never seal properly, every morning there was a puddle of water on the floor) and they stiff armed her until the warranty expired. She hounded them for over a year after that until they paid her off to go away.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought an Electrolux upright column freezer.

My house came with Electrolux Double oven and gas cooktop.

I also have a Frigidaire refrigerator that has been going strong for a decade in a Condo.

I usually buy KitchenAid or Whirlpool for refrigerators but the Electrolux has given me zero problems.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Kenmore-Whirlpool fridge is still going after almost 22 years. I replaced the thermostat twice, and the icemaker and it's control boards once. Appliance Brad helped diagnose and provided the second set of parts.

Maytag Neptune washer had the bearings go out after 17 years. I replaced washer and dryer with a new Whirlpool front loading set and they are fine so far.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine recently with a Samsung. I've heard LG is atrocious but have had great luck with the Samsung so far.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were selling our previous house and had just that year did a major remodel to the kitchen. We kept our original appliances a Frigidaire refer, GE stove, LG Microwave, and Bosch Dishwasher. Since they were all 10 years plus, they didn't go to well with the new kitchen.

We decided to replace everything with new stainless. The refrigerator was a Samsung. We didn't know how long it would take to sell the house so we started to use the appliances carefully so they remained as new as possible. The appliances were delivered and our old ones stored in the garage as we planned to keep them for our new house when we found it. Now the rest of the story.

The Samsung refrigerator was installed late afternoon. It was cooling down to temperature and we transferred the food from the Frigidaire in the garage. Sometime in the middle of the night the Samsung took a shit. When we got up everything in the freezer part was thawing and everything in the refer side was pretty warm. I called Lowes and they said they would send a service tech out. I told them bullshit, come get this piece of shit. Now that all the stainless matched, I replace with the same model. WTF, we were leaving.

We found a new house under construction. Builder was going to install Samsung appliances. We told him we wanted to buy without appliances and take a credit for premium flooring. We installed our original appliances from the garage in the new house. They are still running. So ask me how I feel about Samsung.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember my grandmother's ice box. The ice man would come around in his horse-drawn wagon and grab a block of ice with his tongs, hoist it onto his shoulder, and carry it upstairs to grandmother's apartment and put it in the ice box.

This was not in an outlying rural area, it was in the heart of the NYC metro area -- Brooklyn.

Some years later, she got her first refrigerator. All refrigerators at that time were referred to as "Frigid-Air," no matter what the brand, much like all tissues were "Kleenex" and all small bandages were "BandAids."

That first "Frigid-Air" looked just like the large rectangular ice box that it replaced, with a round compressor type thing sitting on top.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post