SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's that time of year! Roast and carve the perfect turkey!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's that time of year! Roast and carve the perfect turkey! Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
With Chef Jean-Pierre! This guy's a hoot. I have made several of his recipes. His onyon soup is delicious! Now you can roast and carve the perfect turkey this year and Chef Jean-Pierre will show you how! Don't be afraid!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Great video. Even though we are doing a 12 lb turkey will give this a try. Like the lower roasting temp.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good that he recommends 155F. Too many people go by the government recommended 165F and it gets tough and dry. No better way to ruin poultry than overcooking it.

I typically go as low as 150 and if I'm doing sous vide breasts, I go to 145. Soft, juicy, flavorful, and perfectly safe as long as you keep it at that temp for long enough.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I may of missed in the video ... but do recall the oven temperature.

However, I was able to go to his link in YouTube with the recipe information to his video :

https://chefjeanpierre.com/recipes/roasted-turkey/

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
There's nothing worse than watching someone carve off slices of the breast the wrong way. I die a little inside each time. Everyone should learn how to carve off the whole breast and cut against the grain.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
There's nothing worse than watching someone carve off slices of the breast the wrong way. I die a little inside each time. Everyone should learn how to carve off the whole breast and cut against the grain.

Did he carve the breast the wrong way ? I don't really know, but want to learn. I thought cutting the breast against the grain was across the width.

posted Hide Post
I've done turkeys many different ways - spatchcock and dry brined is still the best.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

Did he carve the breast the wrong way ? I don't really know, but want to learn. I thought cutting the breast against the grain was across the width.

He's long winded but he knows how to cook and carve a turkey. He cut across the grain. Smile

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
quote:
quote:

He's long winded but he knows how to cook and carve a turkey. He cut across the grain. Smile

What I thought too ... that he carved against the grains. Not sure what myrottiety was referring too.

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
I've done turkeys many different ways - spatchcock and dry brined is still the best.

I have smoked them, wet brined and yes dry brine is the best of all! Cut into the breast and juice flows to the surface!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Good that he recommends 155F. Too many people go by the government recommended 165F and it gets tough and dry. No better way to ruin poultry than overcooking it.
One year when I lived in Canada, a bunch of us American expats got together for American Thanksgiving (the Canucks celebrate 6-weeks earlier). Anyway, the couple hosting have been married for 20-years and cook the turkey per the cookbook they received as a wedding gift. The problem is that about 10-years ago, the USDA lowered the recommended safe temperature of turkey from 180 deg down to 165 deg. I try to point this out politely and remain a good guest, but they blew me off. Dinner was served an hour late, and that hour was spent getting the turkey from 165 deg to 180 deg. If you think 165 deg turkey is dry, you'll die of thirst eating 180 deg turkey.

I've posted this several times over the years, but AmazingRibs.com has a good article on the science behind safe cooking temps. In a nutshell, safe cooking temps are determined by killing 9,999,999 out of 10,000,000 pathogens. For poultry, this happens instantly at 165F, but the more interesting point is that it happens in 5 minutes at 150F and in ~1 minute at 155 F. For me, this means that I can set my Thermoworks Smoke probe into the thickest part of the turkey, set the alarm for 150F, once the alarm goes off I set a timer for 10 minutes (i.e. a 5 min buffer just in case), and after the timer goes off I enjoy safe & juicy turkey.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
quote:
quote:

What I thought too ... that he carved against the grains. Not sure what myrottiety was referring too.

No he did it right. I just see people carve with the grain and it drives me nuts. Do what he did people!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason you carve it like him is you get reasonable sized pieces because you don’t want one huge thin piece of turkey taking up valuable plate space and everyone gets a nice piece of skin instead of that typical little bologna strip going around the large thin piece.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post