SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fog lights not working on 2015 Suburban: NOW FIXED!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fog lights not working on 2015 Suburban: NOW FIXED!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Fog lights quit working.
Push the button on the dash and the indicator comes on in the gauges but no lights.
I checked the fuse it is good.
I pulled the bulbs one is dead and the other works fine. I swapped bulb locations thinking maybe they are wired in series but still no dice.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Of course wheel liners and likely half the front clip has to come off to actually get a meter to start testing stuff.
One can squeeze a hand up there to remove the bulb but you are doing it blindly.

Guess I could buy a new set of bulbs replace both and see if replacing them both fixed it. Not sure that it will or why it would be wired that way.

Automotive wiring is something I absolutely hate!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There is a relay somewhere that turns them off when the high beams are on.
Just another thing to check.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Only finding a parking light relay.
https://www.autogenius.info/ch...16-fuse-box-diagram/

————————————————

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
IDK how GM stuff is wired, but there may not be a discrete relay for the fog lights. They probably have a latching switch for the fog lights where they go through the headlight relay and will turn off with the headlights. I could see where either the fog light latching switch or the headlight switch might be suspect.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Start with the basics. Make sure you have 12v and a good ground at the light socket with low beams and fog lights on.
If you do then it's the bulbs. If not, work you way back from there.
So many times someone assumes it's something complicated and doesn't start with the simple stuff and ends up wasting a lot of time before finding it's something easy.
Is this an OE installation or something else? I'd check youtube next.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Start with the basics. Make sure you have 12v and a good ground at the light socket with low beams and fog lights on.
So many times someone assumes it's something complicated and doesn't start with the simple stuff and ends up wasting a lot of time before finding it's something easy.

Yes they are OEM.
I tested the bulbs straight to 12v power 1 works the other does not.
Of course neither light up with the switch.

Of course everything it tucked up in the bumper/fascia so have to take tons of stuff off to even get to the wiring to start testing.

————————————————

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it could be a faulty driver (if LED) or ballast (if HID light)? A bad driver/ballast could be over-driving the circuit and blowing the bulb.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The oncoming traffic will thank you for that.
Leave it the way it is.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
The oncoming traffic will thank you for that.
Leave it the way it is.

Bob

Why would oncoming traffic thank me? Seems to be quite the opposite considering fog lights really help me see the lines and edge of the road in bad weather.
Keeps me in my lane as opposed to the others.

————————————————

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
2 sets of headlights are twice as bright as one set.
It’s that simple.

Most “fog lights” are as bright or brighter than the headlights. Think Dodge, jeep, and most pickups.

Those of us with less than perfect vision are blinded by all those lights.

Bob

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s that simple.

Most “fog lights” are as bright or brighter than the headlights. Think Dodge, jeep, and most pickups.

Bob

Fog lights shoot straight out and down and not up which can affect the oncoming traffic.

They offer more safety in seeing things or people along the shoulder of the road, therefore more manufactures are offering fog lights.

OP, the lights may be wired in series.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s that simple.

Bob

Twice as bright....Not even close! Most 'fog lights' as bright or brighter than the headlights...I repeat myself!

OEM Fog Lights are more of a 'Position Light' than a Fog Light. They are low on the vehicle and like 'Black92LX' indicates, aid in illuminating the lane markings & edge of the roadway. Another benefit of OEM fog/position lights is that they aid in ensuring that other vehicles see YOUR vehicle in poor conditions, such as rainy and or misty wet conditions, and snow storms, as well as fog! OEM Rear Fogs are also VERY helpful for ensuring that other vehicles see you in poor visibility conditions. Wink

Nobody gets 'blinded' by OEM Fog Lights!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8921 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Funny, none of mine have had any significant effect of seeing the lines on the road.

I have always kept them off thinking of the other guy. But I guess that could be a foreign concept.

Bob

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny, none of mine have had any significant effect of seeing the lines on the road.

I have always kept them off thinking of the other guy. But I guess that could be a foreign concept.

Bob

Really? I rely on mine a lot in rainy and snowy conditions. I don't know what you drive but the ones I've had are a great safety feature. They sure as hell don't blind oncoming drivers one bit.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
There should be a relay for it in the underhood fuse box if it's factory.

Nothing is simple anymore when everything is controlled by a computer.
For that circuit you have the switch, fuse, relay, BCM (Body Control Module) and the lights.

The factory front fog lamp circuit works as follows – when you press and release the fog lamp request button at the headlamp switch, this sends a ground pulse to the BCM. The BCM interprets this pulse as a request to turn the fog lamps on, and if the headlamps are on, it sends a ground signal to the underhood fusebox to the fog lamp relay. When the fog lamp relay clicks on, it sends power to the front fog lamps and there ya have it.

Click n paste from here.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.co...th-oem-switch.80042/

Since the dash indicator lights up when you press the switch at least part of the circuit is seeing the request.
You just need to narrow it down to where it got lost.

The relay is a ground control circuit.
It should have power at two points and gets the ground signal from the BCM.

The modules I mess with will trip internally if there is a short and will not reset till it is cycled down.
I don't mess with GM enough to know how those react.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Yes they are OEM.

Of course everything it tucked up in the bumper/fascia so have to take tons of stuff off to even get to the wiring to start testing.

Did you test the power output at the sockets, with everything on, and you meter in hand see if you get 12V at each socket.

If so, then bulbs are bad, if no, then work back up the harness, until you find power, at that point you know where the failure potentially is in the series.

Or just put in new bulbs and replace or swap one of your relays to see if it works..

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
There should be a relay for it in the underhood fuse box if it's factory.

Nothing is simple anymore when everything is controlled by a computer.
For that circuit you have the switch, fuse, relay, BCM (Body Control Module) and the lights.

The factory front fog lamp circuit works as follows – when you press and release the fog lamp request button at the headlamp switch, this sends a ground pulse to the BCM. The BCM interprets this pulse as a request to turn the fog lamps on, and if the headlamps are on, it sends a ground signal to the underhood fusebox to the fog lamp relay. When the fog lamp relay clicks on, it sends power to the front fog lamps and there ya have it.

Click n paste from here.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.co...th-oem-switch.80042/

Since the dash indicator lights up when you press the switch at least part of the circuit is seeing the request.
You just need to narrow it down to where it got lost.

The relay is a ground control circuit.
It should have power at two points and gets the ground signal from the BCM.

The modules I mess with will trip internally if there is a short and will not reset till it is cycled down.
I don't mess with GM enough to know how those react.

Only had a chance to skim that thread but it looks to be showing a relay for the parking lights and a relay for the fog lights. I can find the parking lamp relay but nothing is marked fog light relay that I can find.
In his diagram he has an 85 in the corner of both relay blocks. Not sure what that means.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Yes they are OEM.

Did you test the power output at the sockets, with everything on, and you meter in hand see if you get 12V at each socket.

If so, then bulbs are bad, if no, then work back up the harness, until you find power, at that point you know where the failure potentially is in the series.

Or just put in new bulbs and replace or swap one of your relays to see if it works..

So far I have only tested the bulbs by hooking them up to alligator clips and connecting them directly to a 12v battery outside of the truck.
One works the other does not.

One can remove a bulb my snaking your hand between all the panels but there is no way to actually get to the socket to test it without removing a bunch of crap which I have not had a chance to do.
I am going to grab a fresh set of bulbs and plug them in before I tear it apart just in case they can’t operate independently for some reason.

————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you can install a bulb you have the socket in hand, test from there before you put in bulbs, if you are going to test by bulb, then be sure to put some di-electric grease on the terminals since it can be exposed to weather/rain moisture etc..

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you can install a bulb you have the socket in hand, test from there before you put in bulbs, if you are going to test by bulb, then be sure to put some di-electric grease on the terminals since it can be exposed to weather/rain moisture etc..

While I technically have the bulb and socket in hand it is all done on my back blindly. With barely enough room to fit one hand in there.
No way to actually get in there with a meter without pulling the wheel liner and likely the lower portion of the front fascia.

Of course Chevy uses the wonky PSX26W bulb and where I stopped had none.
And having 3 kiddos after school getting them all in and out of the truck is too much of a pain to try a second place so I’ll stop somewhere tomorrow or just order off Amazon.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Bulbs arrived a couple days ago but it has been wet and raining.
Finally dried out today and popped them in.
They lit right up.
So either they are wired in series which I doubt because I tried the good bulb in both sides so it should have still lit up on one side or the other.

Or more likely what happened is with 1 bulb out it was not sending enough power to kick the relay because I had switched the OEM halogen bulbs to a lower wattage LED.

But either way turned out to be a simple fix thankfully.

————————————————