SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Experience: Ruby Ridge
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Experience: Ruby Ridge Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
In the aftermath, the FBI took over, bringing in its elite Hostage Rescue Team. In the process, the agency severely softened its "rules of engagement" to what a congressional inquiry would later characterize as "virtual shoot-on-sight orders." With these rules in place, an FBI sniper opened fire as Randy was entering the cabin. The shot missed Randy and struck Vicki as she was holding their newest daughter, 10-month-old Elisheba. Vicki was killed instantly.

This was one of the things that caused my BS detector to peg the needle. Total bullshit and illegal ROE.

I saw a video of a military sniper talking about entering a LEO sniper match. He was used to 8-1k shots center mass on humans being a success.
His first set of targets was pencil erasers at 75 yards. Hit the metal = fail. Miss, obvious fail.
Ol’ Lon was in this range. His “miss” is bullshit. Vicki was categorized by the Feebs as the Matriarch helping guide the “group”.
Miss my ass! This guy could put 5 shots into a dime or less at that range.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
What I remember from it was the national news was all over it and I was not really paying that much attention and also was not on the internet at that time. I mentioned something to a doctor friend, someone not even close to being a radical, and he said what was really going on was not what you saw on the news...... as we all know now ... he was right.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In the intro to the video someone says the Weavers were "armed to the teeth”. Apparently that means a pellet rifle, a .22LR, a pair of Mini 14s, a double barrel shot gun, a scoped bolt action hunting rifle, an M1917 WWI surplus rifle, and some a few handguns according to the picture in this article Link.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This was one of the first events that forever changed my perception of our government. Over the years I’ve come to understand that we are not as free as we’ve been told and our government is not benevolent as we were led to believe. I came to these conclusions reluctantly. But our government persisted proving these facts to me since then.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The feds will force another Ruby Ridge at some point; the increasing constitutional violations without apparent fear of repercussions all but guarantees it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help.

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Ruby Ridge led to Waco. The federal prosecutor of the Branch Dividian's was Bill Johnston. After the Waco verdict Bill Johnston tried going after several of the ATF agents that had clearly lied during the trial. Bill was then indicted by the feds suspiciously, as he was trying to go after the ATF agents who had lied during their trial. He ended pleading guilty to a minor issue and his ATF/FBI investigation went away.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave Hunt - US Marshall: "In his mind we had proven everything he felt and believed, and had been taught to believe about the government was true, and that it was coming true piece by piece."

Edited for accuracy...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8947 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
She was the AG and sent BATFE in after Koresh and the Branch Davidians.

Janet Reno didn't take over as AG until a few weeks into the Waco debacle. The AG during the build up and kickoff of the Waco operation was William Barr, who was also the AG during Ruby Ridge.

Reno took office on March 12, 1993. The initial ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound took place on February 28, 1993, almost 2 weeks before Reno became AG. Ruby Ridge took place the year before, in August 1992.

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Troy Industries later hired Lon Horiuchi, the dirtbag who murdered Vicki Weaver. Roll Eyes

You mean Women and Children First Industries?

Harsh.

Yet true.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31473 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
With these rules in place, an FBI sniper opened fire as Randy was entering the cabin. The shot missed Randy and struck Vicki as she was holding their newest daughter, 10-month-old Elisheba. Vicki was killed instantly.

Ol’ Lon was in this range. His “miss” is bullshit. Vicki was categorized by the Feebs as the Matriarch helping guide the “group”.

Horiuchi didn't miss. And he wasn't firing at Randy Weaver when Vicki was hit, as bald1 initially claimed. Horiuchi fired two rounds: One at Randy Weaver that hit Randy Weaver, and the second at Kevin Harris that hit both Kevin Harris and Vicki Weaver.

The issue, besides the ridiculous overly broad ROEs in the first place, was his second round intended for Harris was fired through a door without knowing everything that was on the other side of it.

Horiuchi was attempting to shoot Kevin Harris as he ran back into the house. Horiuchi fired through the door, planning to strike Harris as Harris was passing behind it. The bullet went through the door and did strike Harris as intended, but also struck Vicki Weaver who was standing on the other side of the door, unbeknownst to Horiuchi (since he couldn't actually see all of what was on the other side of the door at which he was firing).

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing that sticks out with me in regards to the Waco thing is that allegedly , Karesh went into town alone at least once a week or so and could have been picked up with little to no issues . If the safety of the women and children was actually an issue they sure did fuck that up big time .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
With these rules in place, an FBI sniper opened fire as Randy was entering the cabin. The shot missed Randy and struck Vicki as she was holding their newest daughter, 10-month-old Elisheba. Vicki was killed instantly.

Horiuchi didn't miss. And he wasn't firing at Randy Weaver when Vicki was hit, as bald1 initially claimed. Horiuchi fired two rounds: One at Randy Weaver that hit Randy Weaver, and the second at Kevin Harris that hit both Kevin Harris and Vicki Weaver.

The issue, besides the ridiculous overly broad ROEs in the first place, was his second round intended for Harris was fired through a door without knowing everything that was on the other side of it.

Horiuchi was attempting to shoot Kevin Harris as he ran back into the house. Horiuchi fired through the door, planning to strike Harris as Harris was passing behind it. The bullet went through the door and did strike Harris as intended, but also struck Vicki Weaver who was standing on the other side of the door, unbeknownst to Horiuchi (since he couldn't actually see all of what was on the other side of the door at which he was firing).
Last I heard, she was standing in front of a screen door, holding a baby and took a round in her face. So, different versions of the story.

Posts: 17913 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The feds will force another Ruby Ridge at some point; the increasing constitutional violations without apparent fear of repercussions all but guarantees it.
History will show how close they came over that rancher grazing his cattle on so called Federal lands. I recall the ranchers on horse back, armed and rising to the occasion. Men ready on the triggers laying above on a bridge. Man, had just one thing mishappened, a lot of Federal LE would have been put down fast. Fucking news media were vultures at the ready. Clive Bundy, that's the name.

Posts: 17913 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Last I heard, she was standing in front of a screen door, holding a baby and took a round in her face. So, different versions of the story.

It wasn't a screen door. She was standing behind this wood door with closed curtains in the window, holding it open for the men retreating inside, and wasn't seen by Horiuchi as he fired through the door to hit Harris as he passed behind it. You can see the bullet hole in both the glass and the curtain in this photo.

Folks tend to get fired up about both Ruby Ridge and Waco and get a bit loose with the facts of either situation, either through intentional embellishments, mere misremembrances, or misinformation repeated from elsewhere. But there's enough wrong with the actual facts of both situations as-is without further muddying up the waters.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Ruby Ridge led to Waco.

Which led to Oklahoma City. McVeigh said as much.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

It wasn't a screen door. She was standing behind this wood door with closed curtains in the window, holding it open for the men retreating inside, and wasn't seen by Horiuchi as he fired through the door to hit Harris as he passed behind it. You can see the bullet hole in both the glass and the curtain in this photo.

Where is this bullet hole on the curtain you're referring to? The only thing is see that 'might' be a bullet hole (looks white as if it's loose/exposed threads of the fabric and about the right size) is near the left edge of the curtain, which would indicate that the curtain was open at the time.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8947 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Ruby Ridge led to Waco. The federal prosecutor of the Branch Dividian's was Bill Johnston.

And Lon Horiuchi was a sniper at both.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16724 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I read a book some years ago written by a guy name of Whitcomb who was a sniper with HRT. "Cold Zero" was the title. According to the book he was present at both Ruby Ridge and Waco. The guy had very little that was complementary to say about FBI's handling of either affair.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Airing again on local PBS, and it always has the same effect on me.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post