SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yamaha Receiver Wired Network Card speed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yamaha Receiver Wired Network Card speed? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Been trying to find out the built-in network card of my new Yamaha A2A receiver is.

Yamaha seems only to acknowledge that their Receivers are network capable but no specs as far as my Google-fu will take me.

My Reuter says it’s a 100Mbps connection and seems a little on the cheapo side for a 2020 model.

Any experts in the house?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
A lot of audio devices still come with 100mbps network interfaces because there really isn't any reason for an audio device to use even that much bandwidth.

Uncompressed CD-quality audio is only 1.4mbps and even the highest resolution audio quality currently commonly available (24 bit samples at 192 kHz sample rate vs 16 bit samples at 44.1 kHz sample rate for CD audio) is less than 20mbps.

Maybe someday with some insane high-res surround sound format there will be a need for audio at over 100mbps, but right now for consumer equipment, the need just isn't there.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
It does make all the practical sense in the world.

My home setup is still new to me (replaced router, receiver and added a NAS) so when i spotted a 100Mbps connection i feared i might have made a mistake somewhere. Only the Receiver is poorly documented.

Thank you very much.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Thank you.

My home setup is still new to me (replaced router, receiver and added a NAS) so when i spotted a 100Mbps connection i feared i might have made a mistake somewhere. Only the Receiver is poorly documented.

Thank you very much.

0-0

10/100 interfaces are still significantly cheaper & less power hungry than 1gb as well. You can stream near bluray quality over 10/100, audio will be no sweat.

Sent you an email on the Plex stuff too.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A lot of devices only use 100mbs
Network printers, IP Cams and more all 100.
It's all they need.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Thank you.

Thank you very much.

0-0

10/100 interfaces are still significantly cheaper & less power hungry than 1gb as well. You can stream near bluray quality over 10/100, audio will be no sweat.

Sent you an email on the Plex stuff too.

Actually, 1080P Blu-ray is only about 40mbps.

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray can be over 100mbps, but all the streaming services use compression to deliver 4K video in the 10-50mbps range.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post