SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home title/deed theft
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home title/deed theft Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've only heard claims of this in the scare ad's selling preventative measures.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming the innocent buyer was getting a mortgage, that's something his title insurance should catch before closing

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 234 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We can set up email alerts to notify if any changes are made to our title

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread got me thinking, the wife and I paid off our mortgage about 3 years ago. We did get a letter from the mortgage company stating it was paid off. Should we have received some sort of title or deed after we made our final payment?

Posts: 212 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoorsman:
This thread got me thinking, the wife and I paid off our mortgage about 3 years ago. We did get a letter from the mortgage company stating it was paid off. Should we have received some sort of title or deed after we made our final payment?

The mortgage payoff should have generate a docuement called a Satisfaction of Mortgage, this gets recorded with your county. If your county has online records punch in your name and date restrict the search to the last 4 years and see if it shows up. Might also be called a lien release

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
I have been a title attorney in Florida for 18 years. Anyone saying that this does not happen just has no concept of the crime and how it is committed and therefore believes it does not happen.

I get notifications from my underwriters almost weekly of properties where this is happening in Florida. A quick check of my email shows 3 properties yesterday, 9 on 3/13, 1 on 3/7, 1 on 3/6 and 1 on 3/4.

Relying on a notary stamp is a joke. They are easily forged and or you can utilize a remote online notary and present a fake ID and get your document notarized easily. These often come from Virginia which has a lower threshold for the KBA portion of their notary verification.

I had a client who had 5 multifamily buildings mortgaged without his knowledge and the scammers got about 3 million in cash, it took him 3 years to get the liens satisfied and cost him around $200,000 in legal to get it all cleaned up.

If your county has a title notification service, sign up for it immediately. But this is often after the fact notice. The best thing to protect yourself is this keep a mortgage on your property so it will ping on a title search. If you own property without a mortgage, go get a line of credit on it. If you own vacant land, sign up for title lock. These scams are far more likely on vacant land than occupied property.

States like Florida which have all of their land records online will be far more likely to have this happen. Although I do know of 2 such crimes which happened in Rhode Island where their title records are examined in person.

This is a crime that you need to take seriously.

Interesting. However, I still stand by what I said. I worked in title insurance for thirty years...70's-80's-90's and the last 10 years I worked exclusively with claims. It would appear that the onslaught of computers and the internet greatly facilitated the opportunity to commit these crimes.

So, yeah...I stand corrected.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Called our County Recorder and they walked me through the process. They send an email if any changes are made to our property documents.

Free service!

Thanks for the heads up!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post