SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap Epson printer kaput?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap Epson printer kaput? Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
My cheap Epson XP-300 all in one printer isn't printing all of a sudden. Used regularly a couple times a week, B&W docs, worked fine in the morning, blank pages in the afternoon.

The head cleaning utility does nothing. You Tube shows how to access the nozzles in the carriage that holds the inks carts. Using a syringe and luckily just the right flexible tubing, I flushed out the those nozzles. Blotter paper underneath very inky but no go on the printer working. New cart does nothing.

Expected failure on a cheap printer or any other fixes I'm missing? I hate to buy another printer, I only do B&W docs but I do need the printer.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If you just print black and white, buy a basic laser printer.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
In my area it was cheaper to buy a new epson than it was to replace the ink.

Agreed if just doing black and white get a cheap laser. My ancient $100 brother laser printer is still going stronf. It has to be at least 8 yrs old.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have one similar to that one. I haven't been super impressed - it just doesn't seem all that solid.

Hope you can figure it out.

If not, I agree with the others. An inexpensive laser printer might be a better choice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I used to use ink jets ... HP, Canon, Epson and got tired of not only the cost of the cartirdges but how often they crapped out usually due to the ink system.

A few years back I went with a Brother black/white laser printer. Have been very happy ... no problems and the black cartridge is a lot cheaper especially with aftermarket.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Laser would make sense, how about this one?

Brother - HL-L2320D Black-and-White Laser Printer

Some years back, I ran across a stack of Epson XP-300's - $49 - in a Best Buy aisle. It's been a totally adequate performer, particularly compared to printers before that time. It does a good job scanning, if not up to a dedicated scanner I had been using. Some Windows OS afterwards didn't support it so I was happy to have ok scanning with the Epson.

So I get a Brother laser, I still have some scan function available. But yeah, if I could figure out my printing problem, I'd be fine with that. Smile

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

You really can't go wrong with an inexpensive Brother laser. They work, they last, they're good.

Check the Brother site for refurbished printers. I personally would not buy a third-party refurb, but a refurb that has been done by the original manufacturer is fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, do yourself a big favor and ditch these inkjet printers for good.

The small Brother lasers are excellent, we got a refurb color Brother laser last year for $275 or so, it’s wireless so we can print to it right from our phones.

You couldn’t pay me to use an inkjet, I swore them off 17 or so years ago now.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have an HP 8100 thats a decent inkjet for use at home.

Its lasted a number of years and still works but sucks the ink down. I keep it only because my company pays for the ink.

Used to have an Epson years ago...in my experience, they should have stuck to a technology they executed well on, namely dot matrix printers...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some years back, I ran across a stack of Epson XP-300's - $49 - in a Best Buy aisle. It's been a totally adequate performer, particularly compared to printers before that time. It does a good job scanning, if not up to a dedicated scanner I had been using. Some Windows OS afterwards didn't support it so I was happy to have ok scanning with the Epson.

So I get a Brother laser, I still have some scan function available. But yeah, if I could figure out my printing problem, I'd be fine with that. Smile

I have that Brother printer and have nothing but good things to say about it. I suppose the only negative is the price has gone up about 75% from when I bought mine.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Epson XP-300

They dry out and clog up.
Buy a laser printer.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

I have that Brother printer and have nothing but good things to say about it. I suppose the only negative is the price has gone up about 75% from when I bought mine.

Ordered.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Solid choice, you will not regret it.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Sincere thanks to The Hive. Smile

**edit** Showed the wife my thanks, she says "High five, Hive".. Razz

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ordered.

Excellent...another one in the laser Dark Side!

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post