SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2013 GMC Sierra Key Fob Won't Work After New Battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 GMC Sierra Key Fob Won't Work After New Battery Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
This vehicle requires a trip to the dealer to program the key fob. But, as the seller of the vehicle found the second fob, I thought "hooray I won't have to pay for that programming service."

The fob won't do anything, though. I replaced the battery. Still nothing.

A search reveals nothing constructive, so far.

Does anyone here have suggestions for making the previously programmed fob work?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the battery is in correctly, and not backward/upsidedown?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
2032 battery is new and the hieroglyphic + sign on the battery is placed in the plastic receiver with a matching phrase "+ side down." Down, being an existential direction, has no reference on the fob. I also removed battery contact corrosion, if any, with a rubber eraser, and improved the contact positions slightly. The battery position in the non-working position matches that of the working fob.

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sounds like both fobs need to be reprogrammed to your truck.

Personally I would search the internet on how to do it yourself. I’ve done that before and on most vehicles it will work.

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Regarding do it yourself programming, the AC Delco instructions online say the dealer must do it. But, there is always SigForum! So, I thought I'd inquire here for expertise.

-------

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Check Youtube, there might be something there.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will help or not but I’ve been told a locksmith can do this job for less $$$ and much more conviently, and can come to your location.

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Did you test the "new" battery to make sure it is good?
Maybe the fob is bad .

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I used a Dorman 99161 OBD keyfob programmer on our 2013 Silverado.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ace Hardware sells and programs new fobs .

Posts: 4060 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Ace Hardware sells and programs new fobs.

Those units are cloned from your current working unit. Most cars require at least two unique code fobs to program another to the car.

Look for a locksmith in the area to program it. They can re-register all the fobs you have to make sure you're up and running.

I had to do the same thing for a family car a few years ago when one fob got damaged.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post