SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ant Problem In Dining Room: HELP!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ant Problem In Dining Room: HELP! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Our dining room is being invaded by ants and I need to figure out the best way to stop them. I suspect they are getting in through my sill plate which has gaps you can see through to the outside and I will be doing spray foam on soon, but until then can I spray to start killing them?

Floor is hardwood oak, house was built in 1954 so it's not tight like a modern house. They seem to be coming up through gaps in the floor itself from below? The floor itself has not been refinished yet, it's pretty much original unfinished narrow strip oak.

They also seem to be coming in through gaps in the baseboards. it doesn't help that we have 2 messy little boys (age 2 and 4) that drop food on the floor during meals which is attracting them, we try to keep it cleaned up but it's hard.

I was looking at these two sprays and wanted to see if one of them would be worth getting? I have to be really careful with ant traps with a 2 year old running around because they get into EVERYTHING and I don't want him picking up something hat may be toxic.

Any other ideas? Trying to avoid having to bring in an exterminator if I can help it as I know they aren't cheap.

Thanks!

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Because you have kids, I'd look for something that may not harm them in the process. I've used a lemongrass-based product by EcoLogic that is safe for kids and pets.

http://www.ecologicnaturals.co...-Killer-Aerosol.aspx

Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, others.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Ortho for the win. Leaves a barrier that lasts. And, spray outside as well. We have a dog and there is no harm.

Spectricide never seemed as effective as Ortho.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My preference is the ortho brand.
Fire ant are a problem around my property,it wipes them out but its kinda a loosing battle in my hood as I am surrounded by renters and they don't waist money on things other than weed and crack.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If you just want kill-on-contact, try soapy water. I use diluted dishwashing liquid from a spray bottle.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have an old house and every spring I nuke and pave the perimeter with a vengeance. I use the Ortho granules at twice the prescribed rate around the whole house (2 handles worth), then follow up with the Ortho spray on the brick foundation (similar to the ones you show in your OP).

If it gets really raining, I will re-apply in August-Sept if I see incursions.

The only time insects get in is the flying kind (through an open door) or when it rains, but those ones are always dead / dying from crossing the 'dead-insect zone' to enter.

Also, since you have kids, check around for them leaving stuff / bottles / food, as the ants are normally coming in for a reason - one year they made it up to the second story for a stash of old popsicle wrappers that had been festering for awhile (before I sprayed).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I've had great results with Terro Ant Baits.

http://www.terro.com/terro-liquid-ant-baits-2-pack

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

You can kill the ones you see with other products, but Terro will kill'em for the future.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is 1/2 the solution. Long story short, Ants eat on a sugar cycle (your bait) and a protein/grease cycle. If you put out only sugar baits they may be on a grease/protein cycle and your trap will be ineffective. You either need both types side by side or you need both in one trap. Here is an example of a 2 in 1 bait station.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bengal is one of the pesticides there is.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you don’t want to go the chemical route because of children, try spreading a lot of cinnamon spice in all the cracks and around the baseboards. Ants hate cinnamon.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
the ORTHO has Bifen in it and that is what I use and have used around our homes for decades-even with little kids and dogs

I usually buy BIFEN at tractor supply and spray it in a backpack sprayer. it kills every kind of bug.

I lasts for a long time inside, but will degrade quickly outside (I think its designed to do that)

and it is specifically what I used to kill fire ants when I lived in NC. But I usually used a quart for each mound and sprayed the yard.

If you go to tractor supply you can get a quart of full strength that is made to be diluted and it will last you a lifetime for about $40. versus buying the already diluted stuff from lowes or home depot...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Domyownpestcontrol has a web site.
I don't buy the big box stores stuff.
Spray Around house footing, under house @ footing, cut shrubs and limbs from touching house.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Terro has worked well for us.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ants won’t cross a 1/4” bead of coffee grounds.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

That is 1/2 the solution. Long story short, Ants eat on a sugar cycle (your bait) and a protein/grease cycle. If you put out only sugar baits they may be on a grease/protein cycle and your trap will be ineffective. You either need both types side by side or you need both in one trap. Here is an example of a 2 in 1 bait station.

Thanks for posting that! Order placed. We tend to occasionally get some of the small sweet ants and some black ants which the Terro works fairly well on both but that kit looks much better. The gel should stay put and be easier to manage where it can be applied and kept in place in stucco vertical areas and others. Ants are pretty resourceful and crafty. I have even found them using a ground wire to find their way into the soffit area of the roof overhang.

This should help get the last of them! Thanks again.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orange oil. Dilute per instructions on bottle, spray a perimeter inside and outside windows, doors, wherever you think they may come in. I don’t think it would be good on your hardwood floors, protect them from overspray. It works, no nasty chemicals, and smells nice. Be sure to dilute it, it’s strong stuff. I have a problem with little black ants that come in looking for water and any food left out. Orange oil for the win.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Use borax in a mixture they will eat and take back to the nest. Some ants like borax with peanut butter, others like borax with sugar or honey.

In general it is best to not seal off the perimeter of the house until you have allowed them to get it back to their nest.

Email with details sent.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Terro terro terro terro terro.
Took a week. All gone

Ace hardware has a two fer deal. Used 10 out of 12 bait traps and
No ants remain.

And it was a very bad problem.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Three fold.
Spray barrier inside and outside on foundation.
Granuals outside 2 ft wide, entire perimeter of house.
Ant bait feed stations inside, and outside.
Oh, and seal the house as well:-)
It will take some time, but only way to get them all.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post