SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ant Problem In Dining Room: HELP!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ant Problem In Dining Room: HELP! Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I have an old house and every spring I nuke and pave the perimeter with a vengeance. I use the Ortho granules at twice the prescribed rate around the whole house (2 handles worth), then follow up with the Ortho spray on the brick foundation (similar to the ones you show in your OP).

If it gets really raining, I will re-apply in August-Sept if I see incursions.

The only time insects get in is the flying kind (through an open door) or when it rains, but those ones are always dead / dying from crossing the 'dead-insect zone' to enter.

Also, since you have kids, check around for them leaving stuff / bottles / food, as the ants are normally coming in for a reason - one year they made it up to the second story for a stash of old popsicle wrappers that had been festering for awhile (before I sprayed).

I do the same every year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Buy the Ortho but in concentrate and apply inside and out with a small pump sprayer.

Granular bait two feet around foundation

Broadcast bug bait via spreader across lot.

Liquid bait stakes along perimeter of yard away from home. No bait stations inside home.

Ants gone!

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
∆∆∆∆

You left out the napalm...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
The Terro baits work great. I reevaluate had a problem with the small black ants as we put out fruit and vegetables on the kitchen counter for our birds to eat while we are gone and the ants were finding it. I located where they were coming from, placed the Terro liquid bait, they ate it up, and gone for good the very next day.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Back years ago when I worked in restaurants, the Chefs would sprinkle cinnamon around the kitchen walls to keep them out...

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I just wiped out an ant infestation in my house last week using the Ortho Home Defense. It is safe for pets (one of the main reasons I chose it), and seems to be VERY effective where others have failed miserably!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Do you have a professional pest control service.
They should be doing a quarterly service and come back for free if you have a specific problem.
Shop around. There are lots of them that are worthless but there are a few good ones.
I've found the good ones aren't the chain ones.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Spray the ones you can see, but for long term, you need to kill the queen. This means something they will take back to the nest. Though Amdro was originally developed to combat fire ants, I have found it will nuke the nests of many different kinds of ants. Find the nest and sprinkle Amdro around it in about a 3 ft perimeter.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Do you have a professional pest control service.
They should be doing a quarterly service and come back for free if you have a specific problem.
Shop around. There are lots of them that are worthless but there are a few good ones.
I've found the good ones aren't the chain ones.
Here in rainy ass Houston, my pest service comes every 2 months and sprays the exterior perimeter, insures the drains for bricks are clear, knocks down any wasp nests, and puts glue traps next to my garage doors. Originally, I had them spraying on the inside too (at first the perimeter and the island in the kitchen), and had to lock cat up for 30 minutes as it was pet safe when dry but not when wet. I also keep a fine screen filter over the garbage disposal and nothing is crawling up out of the kitchen sink drain any more. I haven't had to have them come indoors in 18+ months.

I'm in a brand new development and lots of creepy crawly things were displaced and looking for a new home when I moved in. Also, builders/developers certainly don't spend a dime if they find a big fire ant nest when they clear a lot.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post