SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which video camera would you recommend that will connect wirelessly to my TV?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which video camera would you recommend that will connect wirelessly to my TV? Login/Join 
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted
I know this seems like a simple question. Unfortunately, everything I look up references streaming to social media and that's not what I have in mind. And I guess it can be turned into something its not... but here goes.

I'm creating a jiu jitsu space in the loft above my garage. I have a few friends that I roll with, and I'd like to record the results and play them back on a television in the room immediately afterwards. What's the most seamless way to accomplish this? Specific gear recommendations are most appreciated.

Some thoughts I have are as follows:

• The camera should not be wide angle; I don't want any fish-eye distortion of the video
  • Ideally, the camera could connect with the television (which has not yet been purchased) wirelessly (wifi is available) so that I don't have to move the camera.
  • I obviously prefer to control access to the cameras files through a phone app, but again displaying it on the television.
  • If the same app could control power and recording functions on the camera, all the better.
  • If wireless sharing is beyond the cameras capabilities, I could hardwire the cameras to the television. Walls are not up yet, so it would be easy enough to accomplish.
  • Now that all that is said, I'm actually thinking about two cameras to capture different angles. Does that complicate things?

I imagine there is a really obvious answer to all of this. I'm just not able to find it.

Thank you.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I don’t think there’s a great way to do it with just a camera and a TV - the playback interface on cameras is almost always terrible.

With two cameras it would be such a pain in the ass there’s no way you’d ever use it.

ESPECIALLY with two cameras, you’re going to need some device running the camera and managing playback (and keeping the playback of the two perspectives in sync for switching back and forth).

I’ve seen stuff like that being used in YouTube videos by sports coaches. I suspect they’re using a computer (or possibly an iPad) with special software, but maybe there are purpose-built devices out there. It’s more than just basic recording/playback software because they have interfaces designed for seeking around, switching views, running at different playback speeds, drawing on still frames of video, etc, in a way that normal video software just is not designed to do quickly and easily.

Sorry, no idea on specific details.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You would need a camera attached to a computer to record the video. The TV you speak of is just a "monitor."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have my NVR connected to my tv via hdmi cable.

So I can see all my cameras if I want.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I’d look at buying a security camera system with a DVR and having the camera(s) only in that room. Big box stores like Best Buy carry these.
Most brand-name systems come with apps to view footage, etc.
Anything other than that will involve complexities such as a camera controller system/switcher.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Your iPhone. You can stream direct to newer TVs with that and even if not, there’s an app for that. I use ApowerMirror for our older tv.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I don't have an iPhone, but perhaps Android is similarly capable with current televisions.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I don't have any recommendations. But as a 3 stripe Blue Belt I'm super jealous!

I've been training pretty steady at around 4 hours of Gi & 2 hours of No-Gi every week for last several years. More I learn the more I'm sure I suck!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I don't have any recommendations. But as a 3 stripe Blue Belt I'm super jealous!

I've been training pretty steady at around 4 hours of Gi & 2 hours of No-Gi every week for last several years. More I learn the more I'm sure I suck!

Should be quite the set up. As it stands this will be the only room in the house with a TV. Enough space for some friends. Probably do some privates up here as well.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If your current Android doesn't have the video and/or TV connectivity you need, in your situation I might see if a friend had one of the new iPhones with the steady cam feature they have been advertising, and ask to borrow it and see if that might do the trick.

The new TVs I've purchased in the last year all have 'AirPlay' capability and play videos from iPhones and iPads with a couple of clicks from the phone.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ideally, the camera could connect with the television (which has not yet been purchased) wirelessly (wifi is available) so that I don't have to move the camera.

What I did was use a firestick and an app called tiny-cam. The app was like $5. It's not perfect, but it works. I just need to start the app now and again after there is an update etc.

But 99% of the time it just sits there and shows the LIVE VIDEO from the cams on an old TV. (TV just needs an HDMI port for the firestick)

Is it perfect, of course not, but it suits my needs. It takes a while to enter in all if your camera IP addresses and passwords on the app, but you only do that once.

This is for LIVE VIDEO. if you want to playback recorded camera footage, I use a laptop, not the firestick.

quote:
If wireless sharing is beyond the cameras capabilities, I could hardwire the cameras to the television. Walls are not up yet, so it would be easy enough to accomplish.

I would hardwire, with at least Cat5e, from the cameras to your router and use IP cameras. WiFi or wireless in general sucks when it comes to high res live video, in particular if you have several cams. dropouts etc. Plus you can power over ethernet and then you don't need to route power to the cams.

now is the time to put Cat5e to your front door, under the eves etc. Hire someone if you can't do this part yourself. Trust me, it's a good investment.

In terms of what camera to buy. there are several good options, but don't go cheap. Spend at least $100 per camera. I like Axis, but I have also used others that are ok for my needs but I won't list them because I don't want to get flamed, as has happened in the past when I suggest a camera model.

it boils down to your budget. Now when I shop for cams, night and low light performance is at the top of my list.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post