SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Negligent discharge today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negligent discharge today Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
On the positive side, he pointed at the floor and not at anyone else. Should be thankful for that. Wow! Eek

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in the CG they issued us 1911s right before we got underway in the small boat. Policy was to carry it empty with a loaded magazine. When we got back to the station we all had to go over to the clearing station and
1. Remove the magazine
2. Lock the slide to the rear and show an empty chamber.

Most everyone just slipped the pistol back into the holster with the slide locked back and we schlepped up to the armory.

I was in line behind another firman when the OOD was stowing the guns in the safe. A BM3 in front of us musta knocked his slide lock cause the slide was forward…(he apparently had a habit of reinserting the mag into his gun). He dropped the magazine and handed it(mag)to the OOD and then the BM3 pointed the pistol into the safe and dropped the hammer.

Mind you, we’re basically standing outside of a closet with a safe in it…BANG, some “oh shit” , lots of stammering, then we all had to write what had happened, who did what, etc.

We all followed protocol, except that guy. He got put on report, went to Captains Mast (art 15 for you land lubbers) was awarded 15&15, loss of 1/2 pay for a month and had to report to the engineers for his extra duty daily. The Chief hated snipes and figured wiping bilges would really make this guy think in the future.

The round hit the slide of the 1911 in the top drawer of the safe and ricocheted into the back of he safe. Nothing was damaged but the pistol had a copper smear on the slide until we turned them in the next year to be replaced by the M9.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henceforth he shall be known as
Carpet Killer
Floor hunter

Basement driller
Booger hook bad man

Bang hole bob
Watch this wally

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I've been around guns my whole life.

(Rifles) Revolvers, then semi-auto pistols. Also in the military.

I never pick up a firearm that is not mine without being offered to me. I always clear it (unless on a range and it's presented on a live firing line) when it is handed to me. Drop mag, rack, rack, rack, lock back, look in the chamber.

I have never "naturally" rack a slide when I pick up a pistol. It is "unnatural" for me to do so.

And there are two things "louder" than anything else.
A firearm going "bang" when it should not and a firearm not going "bang" when it should.

I would have "channeled" the late R. Lee Eremy...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad nobody was hurt. That is why we have multiple safe handling rules, so nobody does get hurt. I’ve had exactly one ND in my lifetime. Unfortunately it hurt more than concrete. I’ve never talked about it. All the wishing in the world won’t take that day away. Be safe everyone.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Every time I pick one up, or have one handed to me, I assume that the magazine is loaded and there is one in the chamber. Period. I need to see daylight through both ends, and the booger hook stays away from the bang lever. This has never failed. I'm glad no one was injured.

Originally posted by bendable:

Some great stuff, but you overlooked:

9 Mill Drill

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
racks the slide
he points it at the floor and
pulls the trigger

Any idea what he might have been thinking?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
racks the slide
he points it at the floor and
pulls the trigger

Any idea what he might have been thinking?

Maybe partly my fault. I've lived alone for the last three years and he knows the only gun I
keep loaded downstairs is the Glock 19 on the bookcase. I always have several others out that
I clean or just get out every year just to wipe down. He picks them up and racks the slide to make
sure they are not loaded. The Glock 27 I used to keep in my car but don't anymore. I had a box full
of assorted mags I brought downstairs to sort out, along with the Glock 27. I didn't unload the mag
on the 27. He was so used to the only gun loaded was the 19. I know it's no excuse but I hope it
doesn't sour him on shooting. I've haven't taken him to the range as much as I did my oldest son and that's
my fault. It scared the hell out of him.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I mean, I figured well just how loud could just a simple primer be?

That brought back a memory from my military days. I lived with a couple of other Navy guys and we liked to shoot. In winter we would occasionally load a bunch of .38s with only primers and then press the cartridge into blocks of canning paraffin. We’d shoot in the basement against targets hung on a blanket hanging from the ceiling joists. The primer had plenty of poop to push the wax out but not enough to penetrate the blanket. Cheap fun.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe partly my fault.
Only if, in drumming gun safety into their heads, you failed to include always treating all guns as being loaded and to immediately check any gun you pick up or is handed to you before doing anything else. Otherwise it was all on him.

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I hope you learned a lesson too, not to store a semi-auto with an empty chamber but a charged magazine. Personally, I believe this to be an very dangerous practice, a firearm should be loaded (chambered) and ready for use, or completely "dry" with no ammunition present depending on its intended purpose (defense or storage). Racking the slide upon pickup is a very natural action, no matter how ill-advised.

Also, there's another lesson to drill into the kids' heads: "a gun is always loaded."

I dunno. My firearms are either loaded and chambered or they are empty, but I don’t assume that others do the same. If one carefully verifies the condition of any gun that is handed to them or that they pick up, immediately, as the first thing they do, I’m not sure the storage conditions matter. Many LEO carry their rifle with a full magazine and an empty chamber and it doesn’t seem to cause problems.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Glad nobody got hurt. The rule I always had at my house was if it's in a holster it's ready to go bang and if it's ready to go bang it's in a holster.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two ND's both 1911's. My armorer at Ft Bragg in 1968 when checking in a prisoner's guard weapon & my 1st wife's stupid brother when removing a 1911 from his deceased fathers work auto. Both pulled the trigger after checking the empty chamber & then removing the mag.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, that was dumb. Thankfully he followed the other rules and nobody was hurt, and hopefully he learned something from it. You've always gotta assume a gun is loaded until you are 100% sure it's not, and order of operations is vital (mag comes out first, then visible and physical chamber check. I usually rack the slide a few times, too, just to be sure).

The only loaded guns in my house that aren't on my person are the ones stored in quick access safes. My kids know better than to touch anything they might find lying out, but they are of an age now where they have friends over frequently and I can't risk somebody doing something ignorant, so everything stays locked up. Everything in my main safe is unloaded, but I still check them immediately upon removing them for a range trip or maintenance.

quote:
When I'm gone I'll make sure he gets the Glock 27.

An appropriate plan...I like the way you think Big Grin.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether the gun was loaded or unloaded, he checked it or you checked it, a mag missing or not, I don’t understand the reason for pulling the trigger. Thankfully he pointed the pistol away and no one got hit. I bet he never does that again.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Lesson learned.

Can't remember who it was. But someone on here had a similar story. But if I remember right they murdered their bathroom sink.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No aspect of this ND was in any way your fault.

Unless he is in some way mentally impaired.

Perhaps now, from this learning experience, he can rethink how he behaves around firearms

Sidebar:
Perhaps three five gallon buckets half full of sand,
Placed one inside the other
Would make a good option for clearing weapons for him.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well, he'll NEVER do that again...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
He probably knew better, but that was an incredible lapse in judgment.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!! You knew you'd get some flack, but maybe it was a good reminder for the rest of us.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post