SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunscreen recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunscreen recommendations Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used all kinds of sunscreen over the years. Worked as a lifeguard when I was younger and would buy what was on sale or what was laying around. I burn easily until I get a tan going.

For me, the biggest issue was remembering to apply it and apply it to every inch the sun could hit(burn feet and toes are not fun). That and reapplying as needed.

Always best to apply before you leave your house. Applying outside in the sun when your sweating never seems to work as good as putting it on in your house before you start sweating.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Blue Lizard.

That had been my go to but I finally got tired of the white zinc look. Frown

Looking for a new standard. Bull Frog Land Sport Quik Gel Sunscreen Broad Spectrum, SPF 50 has my attention. Just ordered some. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to be outside for an extended time, I prefer sun shirts and wide-brimmed hats or something covering my neck in conjunction with a ballcap.

Fishing style shirts are cool and block the sun.

Then again, my wife is ashamed to be in public with me in the summer. But I'd prefer to not have skin cancer.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Elta MD 30spf.
Get it in the pump bottle. Non greasy, goes on easy, stays on. Top rated.
EltaMD UV Lotion Broad-Spectrum SPF 30+, 7.0 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000..._apa_i_dg2cBbMTW057H

I'm out in the sun almost 300 days a year in FL between my real full time job as an environmental consultant and my full time - part time fishing/dive captain job. This is by far the best stuff that I have used.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
If I'm going to be outside for an extended time, I prefer sun shirts and wide-brimmed hats or something covering my neck in conjunction with a ballcap.

Then again, my wife is ashamed to be in public with me in the summer. But I'd prefer to not have skin cancer.

I use arm sleeves for extended rides. Minimal use of sun block for short exposures as it blocks uvb for vitamin D production. I was always amazed to see workers in the tropics covered up so much that they would still be warm if it were snowing-but it actually kept them cool
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...%2Btattoo&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No-Ad.

Price is right, it works well and has less harmful or cancer causing chemicals than many name brand. Some times not widely distributed, we got hooked on it back when Walmart carried it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=U...f=pd_sl_2jdvymsl2l_e

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I hate the oily greasy feel as well. Neutrogena Sport Face works for me because I seem to now be sensitive to some of the chemicals in typical sunscreens. I tried one of the expensive zinc oxide products recommended by dermatologists, but despite claims it does not disappear into the skin and leaves you looking starkly pale and white.

What I hate is the staining I get on my clothes, particularly the collars of my shirts from sunscreens. Requires some extra attention to get it out at laundry time.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Long sleeve shirt, broad brimmed hat, and work gloves. Old time farmers dressed like that for good reason.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Bullfrog. Especially the gel.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Neutrogena Dry Touch.

This is what I use. I’m lily white, burn super easy, and haven’t been able to really get any tan in 41 years of life.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4856 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! I grabbed some Neutrogena Dry Touch yesterday, and am looking into some of the other recommendations also. The sunscreen/repellent combos also look promising, as bugs can be a big issue at times!

And good advice on the clothing; I do try to stay covered as much as possible. I even wear a wide brim straw hat frequently, to the amusement of some of the other fellas!

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Neutrogena Dry Touch.

This is what I use. I’m lily white, burn super easy, and haven’t been able to really get any tan in 41 years of life.

+3 or +4 or whatever we’re up to now Big Grin

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Some research:

Equate Baby Zinc Sunscreen Mineral Lotion, SPF 50
EWG rating 1 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p...SPF_50/#.Wwx59nYbsY0

Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Sensitive, SPF 30+
EWG rating 1 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p..._30%2B/#.Wwx193YbsY0

Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 30
EWG rating 1 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p...SPF_30/#.Wwx4qnYbsY0

NO-AD Sun Care Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
EWG rating 3 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p...SPF_50/#.Wwx1qHYbsY0

Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
EWG rating 4 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p...SPF_30/#.Wwx3RnYbsY0

Bull Frog Land Sport Quik Gel Sunscreen, SPF 50
EWG rating 5 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p...SPF_50/#.Wwx1cXYbsY0

NO-AD Sun Care Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 45
EWG rating 5 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p...SPF_45/#.Wwx10XYbsY0

Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50+
EWG rating 7 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/p..._50%2B/#.Wwx3vnYbsY0

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I use arm sleeves for extended rides. Minimal use of sun block for short exposures as it blocks uvb for vitamin D production. I was always amazed to see workers in the tropics covered up so much that they would still be warm if it were snowing-but it actually kept them cool
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...%2Btattoo&th=1&psc=1

I absolutely despise wearing sunscreen, therefore, I only wear it on exposed skin. Everything else is covered in clothing with at least UPF 25.

When I know I'll be in the sun for hours with little relief, I wear a wide-brimmed hat, sun sleeves that cover my hands (except fingers), and also a neck gaiter.

Using modern technical fabrics, even covered head-to-toe in Florida summer heat, I am always quite comfortable.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Bullfrog

This. Used properly it is great. stays put. 2 years back to back I did the swim around key west race. Most swimmers were all lubed up with thick white zinc oxide, I sprayed up good with Bullfrog, on the water all day, no burn.

It is all I use. But it will clog the shit our of your pores, so scrub good at night.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No reason to go over SPF 50, they say.

And I don't think there is something you don't have to reapply if you will be out all day.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dermatologist recommended zinc based sunblock. For a specific recommendation, he stated Vanicream. I recently started using it, and it appears to be very effective.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The SPF rating only applies to UVB, which will cause cancer but which is also filtered somewhat by the ozone layer. It is also responsible for sunburn.

UVA also causes cancer. It penetrates deeper into the skin, and the SPF rating has no meaning for UVA blocking.

Only in the last decade or so has the FDA permitted ingredients that block UVA. Look for the words "Broad Spectrum" on your product, which indicates some degree of UVA protection. Look for the ingredients Avobenzone and Oxybenzone for good UVA protection. Also compare products with regard to the percent of those ingredients. One of the best is the one pictured by Woodman on page 1, and it is the one my dermatologist has recommended ever since the UVA blockers have been permitted in the USA. Some "Broad Spectrum" products have lower percentages of the UVA blockers. I prefer the one pictured, the "melt-in milk". LaRoche-Posay's Anthelios also comes in other delivery forms.

Links:

skincancer.org

Wikipedia

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Great post, henryaz. Thank you for that information.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Coppertone Sport SPF 50 has kept me from burning for years and I still get a bit of a tan with it. Not greasy and I don’t have a problem with bugs when I use it.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post