SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunscreen recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunscreen recommendations Login/Join 
posted
G'mornin folks! I've been somewhat lackadaisical about wearing sunscreen, and need to get more in the habit. I do a lot of physical work outside (county highway worker), so I sweat a lot and hate the greasy lotion types that clog up your pores. Any recommendations for a high SPF product, especially something that doesn't need re-applied constantly? Bonus points for something widely available locally, although if there's something that's only available online and is the bee's knees, I'm all ears. Thanks ladies and gents!

Chris

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Neutrogena Dry Touch.

Posts: 20602 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I shave my head daily and use this as my after shower lotion/sunscreen on my head. I did a good bit of research to find it - and it does work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Neutrogena Dry Touch.

+1

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Your timing's good, Fox had a report on this subject yesterday. Way too long to cut and paste:

The best sunscreens, according to a top dermatologist

http://www.foxnews.com/lifesty...p-dermatologist.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Any recommendations for a high SPF product, especially something that doesn't need re-applied constantly?

Any sunscreen, even the best ones, will recommend reapplication every 2 hours. "Waterproof" sunscreens recommend reapplication every 80 minutes if you're sweating or in the water.

My wife is incredibly picky about sunscreen and prefers Elta MD and LaRoche-Posay. They have the unfortunate downside of being a lot more expensive than pretty much anything else. Maybe available at a fancy dermatology office, not at normal stores.

I find Neutrogena to be pretty good. If you can't stand the lotiony feeling of most sunscreens, the spray sunscreen is relatively not-unpleasant. Available at any drugstore.

I think the best one I have used is Sun Bum Signature, but it's pretty expensive, too. It's a lotion type but very inoffensive. Here I can find it some places, particularly ones that sell beach or fishing stuff, but not at drugstores. I think I've seen it at a few grocery stores, too.

As a kid I hated lotiony sunscreen with a passion and the spray sunscreens didn't exist yet. When I couldn't avoid sunscreen, I hated Bullfrog Gel sunscreen the least. It looks like they still make a version of it. It used to be widely available, I haven't looked for it in a long time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
20 year ocean lifeguard here. Spent quite a bit of time in the sun.

Simple No-Ad brand sunblock is the best. No need for fancy shit, they’re all the same except for packaging.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skin cancer survivor here, along with my dad, sister, and mother. I have read just about everything out there on sunscreens.

Good on you for thinking about this, expecially since you work outside.

I use the yellow Neutrogena two-pack sprays that I get at Costco. I like the non-greasy feeling (I am a golfer and don't want slick hands).

I really liked a golf-specific sunscreen (golfersskin sunscreen), but it was too expensive. Back to Costco.

We had no luck with the natural zinc oxide or nano-mineral sprays that contained none of the '-benzones.' (We tried them because the Environmental Working Group website called those chemicals potential hormone disruptors, so we were trying to be careful with our kids.)

Those thick zinc oxide creams work well, but you will be painted white on the job.

Final thoughts:

Make sure to get broad spectrum.

You MUST reapply. Keep a can in your lunch box, or wipes in your pocket.

Ignore any SPF claims over 50. That's just marketing.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Blue Lizard.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I get tan with neutrogena but don’t get burns anymore. For me it works well. They have a new (to me at least) version for the face that I bought but haven’t tried yet.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I get tan with neutrogena but don’t get burns anymore. For me it works well. They have a new (to me at least) version for the face that I bought but haven’t tried yet.

That's pretty much what I'm going for. I agree with doctors that it's bad to get burned, but tans aren't always bad things. It may be 'skin damage', but I've read that vitamin D from sun exposure can help prevent cancer. I think it's another one of those things were moderation is good instead of buying into the hysteria and looking like Powder in that movie.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullfrog

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Can you wear summer weight long sleeve shirts like the Columbia PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) or something from UnderArmour? That may help reduce your exposure while not causing you to overheat.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7292 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to Ramius (and from a former fellow lifeguard), they are not all the same.

Neutrogena (any version) is the best for my money. It’s all relatively expensive, but I go to the dry touch or, if I know I’m going to be wet or really sweaty, their beach defense line.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butter....oh wait, I mean Bullfrog. Yeah that's it. Bullfrog. Sunscreen and insect repellent. Stays on well around water, works well for both sunscreen and insect repellent.

ARman

Posts: 3216 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Does the OP have trouble with bugs too?

If so, I use Avon's Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535® Expedition™ SPF 30. They added Merck's IR3535 mosquito repellent to Skin so Soft and they've added sun screen. I use it when golfing, gardening, etc. Unlike DEET, it doesn't stink, doesn't yellow clothing, and doesn't dissolve plastics. It doesn't apply to either one of us, but it's also safe for use even on infants, pregnant and breastfeeding women.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I currently see a dermatologist once every 3 months because of past melanoma skin cancer issues. She says anything with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide is the best and its what I use.

Posts: 400 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has extremely sensitive skin. She has been using Laroche-Posay for the past few years with great success. It is somewhat pricey, but if you watch, Walgreens will have a 25% off summer sale shortly. Helps with the cost. It is available at some Walgreens in the Beauty dept. Otherwise, try Walgreens.com

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Dry Touch is excellent. I was gifted another sunscreen, and have been using it exclusively for a few months. But will be back to Neutrogena in time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Ignore any SPF claims over 50. That's just marketing.

Correct...sort of.
SPF 30 is about the break-even for significant UV blockage. SPF 50 and above, while impressive on the package, only allows 1-percent more than SPF30. The key as other have pointed-out is re-applying every 2-3 hours. If you're skin is sensitive to sun, you should be wearing clothing that is suited for sun-protection AND use a sun-block that has zinc oxide in it. And, if fully exposed, use the heavy white zinc oxide on sensitive areas (nose, ears, chin, neck, shoulders...).

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post