SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Indoor Rowing 2023
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indoor Rowing 2023 Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Low cost option…

ProForm rower from Costco. I paid $400, ...

While I’ve never used the high end $2000+ units, I can’t imagine them offering anything that would make the price difference worth it to me.

Not having tried the ProForm I've no way of knowing, but, my thinking was Concept2 has been in the business for a long while, there were probably good reasons it's usually the most highly-recommended rower, and probably good reasons most rowing teams use them.

quote:
I’ve invested $2900 in my home gym and that has given me the Rower ($400 with 1 year iFit), NordicTrack Bike ($1100 with 1 year iFit), Proform Elliptical (free with 3-year iFit prepay at $1400).

All cardio? No strength/weights?…

I don’t doubt the C2 is a great machine. Just no way I could justify the cost, hence my qualification of the price being worth it ”to me”

Majority of my exercise comes from exercise and road bikes. Rower is used much less. Elliptical is used mostly by my wife. I have arthritis in the knees so better to have weight supported by bike or rower.

I also have a basic weight bench, dumbbells, a bar, and resistance bands. Initially it was for losing weight and I lost 145 pounds in a year. Since then it has been about maintenance. I turn 60 next month, so it isn’t about “strength” per se, just staying shape, active, and keeping the weight in check which has always been a problem for me.

It took me a year to lose the weight, and I have now kept it off for almost another year. I’ve gone from being winded after a couple of flights of stairs to riding 10-20 miles or more daily, 25-35 miles regularly, and 50-80 miles occasionally.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So I'll chirp in here. I have the Hydrow rower, a $2000+ machine. It's this thing: Hydrow

I have experience using rowing machines at the gym and that's all. I'm not sure what they were.

I will say that, for me, this was the best money I have ever spent on my health and fitness. It's possible that a cheaper machine would have worked, I guess I just don't know. But this is great. Since I got it in November of 2021 I have over 1.3 million meters on it. I love the athletes who coach, encourage and instruct you. It was worth it for me.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I'd be curious if you could use the ProForm for the Peloton classes.
We're still enjoying the Pelo bike, and don't want to spend the $ for the Pelo rower.
If a cheaper model can connect to the Pelo app, for whatever metrics it records/needs, I'd go that route.
I'll eventually have a 42" TV in my office/gym & should be able to cast to that for the classes, or at least that's what my co-worker's wife does on the bike.

My guess is the Peloton isn’t going to allow a competitor’s machine to connect to their app. ProForm and NordicTrack are the same parent company, ProForm being the “lower” line but both work with iFit app.

Had Peloton gotten their rower to market earlier, I might have gone that way as most reviews rate their app better than NordicTrack.

Having used both though, I prefer the NordicTrack for variety and interaction. I will be honest though Peloton app is a little more polished. Never had any errors on the Peloton but every couple of months it seems I need to do a hard reset on the NordicTrack bike and then do software updates. Annoying, but overall not a big deal.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Going on a year and a half with my WaterRower. Using it twice a week for 20-30 minute sessions. Also using it as a lateral and rear pully machine for arms and shoulders. Very solidly built and so far haven't had any issues with the machine.

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t doubt the C2 is a great machine. Just no way I could justify the cost, hence my qualification of the price being worth it ”to me”
Understood. I was just explaining why I made the decision I did.

I've room for only one piece of cardio gear, so I wanted it to be the best I felt I could justify.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
Going on a year and a half with my WaterRower.

That's the one that I've been looking at. Just the basic oak or ash model for ~$1100.

I don't need a giant electronic screen and a $50/month subscription for classes; I can put my laptop or a TV in front of the rower for free. And it seems like the water resistance could be quieter than some other rowers.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I row for about 5 minutes every day I hit the gym. It is the best warmup activity I have ever used and easily takes the place of stretching or anything else imo. The only thing keeping me from buying one is that my gym, only 10 minutes away and open 24/7, has several. Why buy the cow when I already rent…

As to type, the water rower is superior to the Concept 2’s they have, at least for me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I don't need a giant electronic screen and a $50/month subscription for classes. And it seems like the water resistance could be quieter than some other rowers.
It is, but, which suits an individual best depends upon the individual.

The best thing, if you can manage it, is try before you buy. I don't know if this is common, but the Anytime Fitness near me has WaterRowers. If you have one nearby, and ask nicely, maybe they'll let you try one?

This can be important because of ergonomics. There are people who've tried the WaterRower and found its ergonomics didn't suit them. Same for the Concept2.

I knew the C2 would suit me because they had them at both of my last two gyms, and I never found the fan noise annoying.

Here's an extensive article on water vs. air rowers: Water vs. Air Rowing Machine: What is the Difference?

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I row for about 5 minutes every day I hit the gym.
I used to do the same.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need a giant electronic screen and a $50/month subscription for classes; I can put my laptop or a TV in front of the rower for free. And it seems like the water resistance could be quieter than some other rowers.

My thinking, is that I already have the Peloton all access with the bike, so adding the rower (just not the $$$ Peloton rower) would be a nice addition, if the rower classes ever show up on the device.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what rower you use, the Concept2 daily workout is a great resource to keep things from getting boring. I have a bad habit of putting on a movie and just doing a slow steady row for an hour and found that throwing in some of the daily workouts breaks up the routine.

C2 Daily Workout

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my concept 2 rower, I’ve put over 3 million meters on it in the last 18 months. We had a hydrow for awhile but I got sick of the online aspect of it so we sold it and just use the C2 now. It’s been a great way to get cardio since my ankle has a lot of metal in it and it’s nice to be able to get cardio done at home. I usually shoot for 50k a week done in 4-5 workouts.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Concept 2 is a very good rower, the ErgData app is excellent. Their Daily workouts are divided into Short, Medium, and Long with usually two workouts in each category. My biggest gripe is the uncomfortable seat (especially on the long rows).

I am enjoying my Aviron and like all the options I have. Just did a 16 minute game row that wore me out.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Concept 2 is a very good rower, ... My biggest gripe is the uncomfortable seat (especially on the long rows).
I've seen this complaint before. Different strokes and all (*), but, I have a pretty skinny ass and haven't found the C2's seat uncomfortable.

I'd say I notice it when I start rowing, but, by the time I'm a minute in or so I don't any longer.

(*) See what I did there? Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Concept 2 is a very good rower, ... My biggest gripe is the uncomfortable seat (especially on the long rows).
I've seen this complaint before. Different strokes and all (*), but, I have a pretty skinny ass and haven't found the C2's seat uncomfortable.

I'd say I notice it when I start rowing, but, by the time I'm a minute in or so I don't any longer.

(*) See what I did there? Wink

For guys who find the c2 seat uncomfortable, check out the citius remex seat, it’s very nice. C2 also sells a foam pad which costs less than 5 dollars, those work really well for me.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I'd be curious if you could use the ProForm for the Peloton classes.
We're still enjoying the Pelo bike, and don't want to spend the $ for the Pelo rower.
If a cheaper model can connect to the Pelo app, for whatever metrics it records/needs, I'd go that route.
I'll eventually have a 42" TV in my office/gym & should be able to cast to that for the classes, or at least that's what my co-worker's wife does on the bike.

My guess is the Peloton isn’t going to allow a competitor’s machine to connect to their app. ProForm and NordicTrack are the same parent company, ProForm being the “lower” line but both work with iFit app.

Had Peloton gotten their rower to market earlier, I might have gone that way as most reviews rate their app better than NordicTrack.

Having used both though, I prefer the NordicTrack for variety and interaction. I will be honest though Peloton app is a little more polished. Never had any errors on the Peloton but every couple of months it seems I need to do a hard reset on the NordicTrack bike and then do software updates. Annoying, but overall not a big deal.

I've not tried it, but would assume you could use a bike with a power meter to pull output on the Peloton app.
On a rower, I guess it'd be whether the monitors can communicate with the Peloton app.
Moot for now, as I don't see the row classes in the app, yet.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I will be buying a water rower this year.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I will be buying a water rower this year.

Get the Hi Riser or Riser add on. It raises it up, saves the pain in the knees getting on and off of it. If you have an IPad, use the app for the Water Rower (which means you have to have the Bluetooth module as another add on).

I just did another session on my Aviron. This time it was 50 strokes, get off (stand up from the rower for those with dirty minds) and do 10 kettlebell swings(60lbs kettlebell) and then repeat for 15 minutes. I have done the 10/50 before but with push ups.....I don't know which one wore me out more....but it is a good tired exhaustion. Big Grin

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So had a routine follow up with Cardiologist (got diagnosed with AFib a couple years ago). Nurse takes my blood pressure and pulse rate; 110/70. Nurse says "That is the best blood pressure and pulse rate I have taken all day." A couple minutes later, Doctor comes in looks at chart and says "Your blood pressure and pulse rate are the best I have seen all day." Doctor also points out I have dropped some weight and look better, asks how I am doing it. I tell doctor that I got a new rower a month ago and have been rowing. Doctor gets positively ecstatic, going on about how indoor rowing is so damn good for your body without a lot of impact on beat up or older bodies (in my case a beat up older body Big Grin). As the doctor called rowing "an absolutely wonderful total body workout."

Keep rowing!

A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
Going on a year and a half with my WaterRower.

That's the one that I've been looking at. Just the basic oak or ash model for ~$1100.

One of the selling points for the WaterRower is they offer a tall version that gives a little bit longer rail. I didn't see any of the others offering that and it was a consideration with me at 6'5".

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Concept 2 a couple years ago for my home gym and while it's a great machine I just haven't bonded with it.

I feel like I get better more consistent cardio from my Octane elliptical, it just seems more natural for me to spend 20 minutes on the elliptical vs the rower.

That being said, I will keep the rower around in case I hurt my knees or back and need an alternate cardio source.

I could see how having the peloton like screen with competition could make a rower more motivating to use.....

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post