SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at buying a business. What questions do I need to ask?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at buying a business. What questions do I need to ask? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Working for stock holders is getting tiresome and I'll never get as much as I put into it.

A business opportunity has come up.

What should I ask?

Any advice would help.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
1) Stay away from a retail business.
2) Only consider a business in a field that you are very familiar with.
3) Hire a really good small business accountant to review. This will cost some money. He/she will be able to find the truth about the business that you cannot find out by asking questions of the current owners.
4) Resist efforts for a quick closing.
5) Consider an asset sale. The accountant can advise here.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
For me, if I was inclined and wanted to spend the dough, my business would be rental properties. Preferably around college campuses.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
+1 on have an attorney wise in financial dealings. Mine saved my ass on a business that the sole owner was cooking the books.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
A business opportunity has come up.

Good Luck.

An opportunity for someone.
Books
Liability
Past performance
Future forecasts
Why
Assets
Why leaving
Trends
Market
Taxes
ROI

Your own business really means you work more for less.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Don't trust numbers, lots of folks lie.

Look at sales tax returns, and how many consumables were used/how much money was made per consumable.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Already some good advice but I would like more details.

You need the right attitude to own/run your own business but I wouldn't have done anything else.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
typically an owner will not over report income UNLESS they are planning on selling. Look for expenses in previous years that would have related to income generated in future years. It will look funny because net income will be low for a year and then all of a sudden rise because the expenses were taken the earlier year.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just off the top...

Prior 5 years income tax returns
Sales tax returns if applicable
Insurance coverage
Claims and lawsuits past and present
Certificates of good standing for all jurisdictions where applicable
Copy of current lease
List of key employees and past 5 years total compensation
Income statement
Balance sheet
Employment agreements if any
Complete and current inventory if applicable

Then do a SWOT analysis for both the specific business in question and specific industry - Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.

Hire an experienced accountant and experienced business attorney - should be very high priority.

That should get you started.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
WHY WHY WHY is this for sale?????

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHY do you want to buy a business should be the first question. Self employment is not for everyone.
I am self employed and started my own business. It is not easy, but I would not work for anyone.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
braillediver and FLhiker questions will not only prvide insight you need, but may well help you see where you are "really" at in your own head.

The steps and time getting to know the details of the past five years as well as the other questions and points, will "walk you through" in a way you have yet to realize in how you think, what you are strong in and what you are weak in, both in this specific business and as it pertains to you "wearing it like a second skin".

A business is an unforgiving and harsh mistress.

And if you have a spouse, she needs to be 100% with your making the decision, and like marriage, all that "for richer for poorer, sickness and in health, weather you like it or not..." apply. Double.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
You need to see 3 years of independently audited financials.

At a minimum of 3 years of the statement of cash flows.

You need to identify what the total market size for this business.

How much market share do they currently have?

Who are their main competitors?

What makes this business different from the competition?

What are the barriers of others entering this market?

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Investigate for any liens or judgements against the owner/business.

It takes 3 people to run a successful business:
A dreamer
A businessman
A sonofabitch

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Assets. Does this involve real property?

If so, are there any environmental concerns now located or to be discovered? For example I have a friend that has a small business in a rented location. Under that property there is a plume of dry cleaning solvents from the business that is two doors down from him. The plume is now being mapped, it is migrating under nearby residential properties, some dating from the 1870's and none that would be considered physically distresses. The cleaners is still in operation, same ownership since the early 1900's. I'm no attorney but somebody is going to have to pay at some point.

Obviously sale price of the building is determined beforehand but what if the building is rented or leased? Does the present owner have a "sweetheart deal" or is it at normal market value? Reason I ask this, in the early 80's while living out west a friend and I had an opportunity to purchase a franchised auto parts store. It was in our opinion an underperforming business, elderly couple owned it and employed their "challenged" daughter in it's operation.

While they had a good quality product line it was not as well known as their largest challenger, a NAPA franchise. My friend and I felt we could "pull it off" due to our experience in the business. The other issues were challenging.

First and foremost, the owners were amicable to selling the business to us. But the first thing that they stated was that they wanted to be assured that their daughter would have a job. That was roadblock number one. While she was what I think autistic and functioned pretty well, both of us had wives that worked part time. It made no sense to both of us that we had to keep their daughter on while we would have had some potential lean times and may not ourselves being able to pay our wives or maybe ourselves while getting off the ground. And if we had "agreed" to that clause and terminated her for any reason whether or not justified we would have been labeled as the bad guys. Or worse in our minds being deceitful, agreed to keep her on then knowingly went into the purchase knowingly intent on terminating her employment, while something could have been made up, bad karma not to mention how fast this would get around town. And while the owners were not aligned with the local auto shops, that fell to the NAPA store this family were long time ranchers so their loyalties fell to the ranching community in the area. Didn't want to piss off the clientele either and be left with the walk in trade only, the do it yourselfers could not sustain that business not to mention the associated grief with catering to that crowd.

Second and important also was the ownership of the building. The couple did not own the building, they were on a verbal rent/lease agreement with the owner of a local bank. Both parties were long time residents with roots going back many generations in the state. As my friend and I were both "outsiders" and had worked for other persons that were also said outsiders there were some loyalties there that we felt would be liabilities to us. While the owners were open to us buying in as we were both pretty asset poor the whole thing could have come crashing down if and when the property owner decided that we were not worthy of a favorable real estate deal either a purchase or lease. Basically, a store with no place to run it from. Sure there were other properties available for sale or rent in town but when you are a distressed business and need a place fast there are suddenly a lot of sharks in the pond , take advantage of the situation for their own benefit.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There’s some good advice coming.

Anymore thoughts from other members?

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Go into it with your eyes wide open, get all the information you need (with professional help to ask the ones you don't know to ask), and be prepared to walk away. And if it's deemed worth the risk, negotiate everything.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of business are you buying? That would help with which kind of questions you need to ask.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Have you searched them out on Google? You might be surprised like potential competitors moving into that territory, bad publicity to overcome, etc.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Have you ever owned your own business and do you have the experience of running a similar business?
Those answers would be helpful to determine what you need to know so we don't recommend a lot of things yo already know (or don't).

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post