SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Friendship and $$$ decisions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friendship and $$$ decisions Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
I am in a quandary on what to do with some guns sales decisions. I have a friend who collects military weapons, just as I do. We have sold each have other pieces out of our respective collections; Garands, Thompsons, Lugers, P38s, 1911s, etc. I bought a couple of nice pistols from him 2-3 years ago. Now I really don't want them, and will sell. He expects to me to sell them back to him at the same price I bought them. As with all militaria, they have gone up about $500 between the two. He is only buying them to flip in a few months, and I would just as soon make the profit. I share a lot of activities with this fellow, like gun shows and pool tournaments, so I don't want to slap him in the face. Whatcha think?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Was the original agreement to give him first chance?

If you really value the relationship, maybe offer to share the profit.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
what would he be saying if the values had gone down?

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I've sold other stuff I've both from him, but now the pressure is on. He says he wants them for his collection, but he never holds onto anything over a year. I usually offer to sell him items back, and he has always said no thanks.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They are yours, do whatever you want, if you want to sell them for more to someone else then just do it...

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:

Good question.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12399 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is only buying them to flip in a few months, and I would just as soon make the profit.

There you go.
They are yours... as is any potential profit.
If he's truly a friend he realizes that.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What's good for the goose...

Offer to sell them back at the original price but only if he gives you first right at the same if he decides to sell them again later, that way it'll allow him to keep them if that's what he really wants but keeps him from flipping them if that's his true motivation. (a simple bullshit detector)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this guy has been a valuable friend for some time now. I wouldn't risk losing the connection over a few hundred dollars, I'd just let him have the guns back for what you paid.

You could at the same time, tell him you want to change future deals. I like 46and2's suggestion!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9365 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell him that you will put them on an auction site and give him an opportunity to buy them at your reserve price.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a buyer, see what they will give you, offer them to your friend at that price. Then he has to pass or play, and you get the higher dollars and he got the first refusal.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
my best friend and I sell guns back and forth to eachother, the agreement is always to give the other first right of refusal. I recently sold him a zevtech glock I had bought from him a while back, I could have gotten another $500 selling it elsewhere, but I had given him my word.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:

Good question.

Yes. Also, have you bought items from him and then 'flipped them'?

I like 46and2's suggestion above, too.

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question. You'd gladly sell them to him for an actual collection, if one did in fact exist. Past experience tells you he will definitely flip them. If he is appealing to you based on wanting them for a collection, I'd ask him if he has plans to start one from his rotating sales pool. You need to get this out and discuss it with him. I would have thought that would have transpired already.
If he really wants that kind of double standard, then he's no friend and you should probably distance yourself. Say 'Nope, they're worth more than I would sell them to you for and business is business.'

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If you are most worried about the friendship then sell them and split the profit with him. If he's not happy with that then find a different friend.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can already tell you are a better friend them him.

Did he ever sell any of the guns you originally sold him?

Tell him if they are for his collection then he can have them back at cost, but if he wants to sell them later you get the chance to buy them back at cost. That will tell how much of a friend he is.

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Do Ferengi rules of acquisition apply?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9873 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Friendship is friendship and business is business. If a friend doesn't understand and respect the difference, he's probably the type of friend who puts himself and his needs first. IMO, that's not a good friend.

If there was strong seller's remorse from the get go or there's some sentimental or emotional reason for him to want the pistols back and keep them forever then I would consider selling them back at the price he paid. That doesn't sound like the case to me here.

If I were you I'd offer him first option to buy at current market pricing. Or if there's something of similar market value in his collection I'd offer a trade. What I wouldn't do is let him buy it back at the price he sold it for knowing that he'd just turn around and sell it at a profit. I believe in treating others the way I want to be treated and I expect the same in return.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Friends don't put friends in a quandary over money.

He has put the value of your friendship equal to a few hundred dollars.

You that sort of thing to me once.

The old "if you value the friendship..." is passive\aggressive manipulation.

No different than; "If you really love me, then you will do ______..."

If you had a "first right refusal" as others have stated, (when you bought them, did you pay FMV or did he give you a good deal? if so, then), you went to him and said; "I'm want to thin my collection and am selling a few of the firearms you sold me, would you like to purchase them at the price you sold them to me?"

If he sold them at the best price for himself, you could let him know you would sell them for the lowest you are willing to take, if it is lower than the price you would like to start and hope to land.

But, without pre-conditions, "expecting" you to sell them back at the original price is "unfriendly".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44442 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
How confident are you that he plans to flip them?

Did you have any agreement or past agreements about selling things back at original price on previous transactions?

Posts: 14154 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have sold each have other pieces out of our respective collections
He expects to me to sell them back to him at the same price I bought them.

Have you bought any of yours back from him, and if so what happened?

Would he offer you the same right on those, going forward?

Posts: 15140 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post