SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many HAM operators here?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many HAM operators here? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Tactical:
Tech here.

Have you decided on a CUT ?

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Been licensed since the mid-90's. Still a Tech, but have been meaning to upgrade for years. Life just gets in the way. I don't do HF, so it's not a big deal for me. I enjoy talking on the local repeaters in Houston, mostly on DMR. It's a cool hobby and I've always met some good people.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Got my Tech in `07, upgraded to General a few months later. I haven't been active in a while now, but NO, there's absolutely no reason not to go ahead and do it.

Hope all is well. You're always welcomed at Kevin's. He's really gotten in to the firearm hobby..... Another ham brought up some old stuff last weekend in the SSB NAQP - a pre-1911 1911. Very nice.

apologies for thread drift.

Hi again, yeah everything's fine. I just accepted that I've never been a big talker. I could do fine with contests or repeater nets, but could never get into the rag chewing end of it. After a half minute or so I'd run out of things to say and start looking for an excuse to terminate the QSO. Then my dipole got torn down in a wind storm and I just never got motivated enough to rebuild it. I did renew my license when it came due a couple years ago, so maybe someday. An old buddy of mine in Boise finally got around to getting his Tech. For a while I tried to talk him into getting into HF, even offered to loan him my spare HF transceiver to get started with. Maybe that would have spurred me to get back into it too, but he doesn't seem very interested in it. He's more into the local VHF stuff. Anyway, say hello to Kevin for me.

Jeff KE7NVY

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ham test online is the way to go!!!!!

Posts: 32 | Location: Greendale, WI | Registered: September 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Tech here.

I've wanted to move up to Extra for several years, but have just procrastinated and procrastinated.

Part of the issue is that it's information and a skill that I'd like to have, but knowing myself, I likely wouldn't use it enough to stay proficient. Use it or lose it, and I'd likely lose it.

Perhaps one day.

N7**T

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Ham operator since 1977, mostly CW. W5 Extra Class. Lots of good online study resources as well as study guides from ARRL. Good luck.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously looking at getting into it and one of the questions I have is what is/are the benefits of upgrading from a Tech to a General license?
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I'm seriously looking at getting into it and one of the questions I have is what is/are the benefits of upgrading from a Tech to a General license?
Thanks.

Phone (voice) operating privileges on all of the "high frequency" or HF bands, over and above the Tech privileges.

Techs have full privileges on UHF/VHF-- all modes, including digital, phone, and CW (code), and some limited phone privileges on portions of the 10m band.

Learn morse code, and you have CW privileges on portions of MOST of the HF bands even as a Tech.

General ticket gets you all modes on most portions of most bands.

You can have a boatload of fun with just a Technician ticket, but traditional wisdom is that for "serious" distance voice you'll need a General.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Tech here in NOVA.

I got into to it to have a communication medium not run by cell networks. Repeater listening is fun, but I usually dont participate unless I have something to add directly to the conversation.

Example, someone asking for traffic report on a road I currently am on I will key up during rush hour.

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sacox31s
posted Hide Post
I am an ham radio operator also. There are many different hobbies within ham radio. Currently I'm very active in Summits on the Air (SOTA). At least once a week I'll hike/climb to the top of a mountain with my Elecraft KX3 HF radio and make contacts. https://www.sota.org.uk/ The higher the mountain the more points. Its not really a contest or a competition, but it is addicting.

Posts: 397 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sacox31s:
I am an ham radio operator also. There are many different hobbies within ham radio. Currently I'm very active in Summits on the Air (SOTA). At least once a week I'll hike/climb to the top of a mountain with my Elecraft KX3 HF radio and make contacts. https://www.sota.org.uk/ The higher the mountain the more points. Its not really a contest or a competition, but it is addicting.

You’re not that guy with the goats, Rooster and Peanut are you? Smile

https://www.youtube.com/user/goathiker?app=desktop

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sacox31s
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:
Originally posted by sacox31s:

You’re not that guy with the goats, Rooster and Peanut are you? Smile

https://www.youtube.com/user/goathiker?app=desktop

Nope, not me. I wish I owned a couple goats to join me on the mountain hikes.

Posts: 397 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m a tech and got my license about 12 years ago. I haven’t really used it. I have an Icom handheld in a drawer somewhere.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my Technician license for a couple of years now but have been largely inactive with this licensing. I jump on a local “net” to check-in every now and then.

I took an online flash-card type study course and aced the exam.

KM4***

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Any of you passing by Baton Rouge feel free to get on our club 2 meter repeater. 146.835 with a 114.8 tone. It has a pretty good range. 73

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Tech here since the early 2000s.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
been away from amateur radio since 1966. My involvement with it then was as part of a MARS network. Military Amateur Radio. We did both Morse code and voice. Even operated from field locations. Set up doublet antennas by stringing the wire thru the trees.

Our base was in a building that contained the post snack bar and a craft shop. Our antenna there was a directional array that could be rotated.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tested for my Tech license a few weeks ago and passed.

Crammed my butt off over the last few days and upgraded to a General License this evening. Can’t wait to learn all about HF.

Dallas-Fort Worth has an active repeater network. And I’ve already mounted a Yaesu FT-400XDR in my truck for my commuting.

73’s!

KI5TIK

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I got my technician license a couple of months ago after starting and stopping the studying probably 4 times. If I can pass anybody can.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
I'm about to do the same.

Operator KB6NU has created (and updates) these fantastic study guides. The Technician Guide can be downloaded for free.

https://hamstudy.org/ is good for learning and practicing the tests.

The Reddit Amateur Radio sub is a good place.

One of my co-workers is really into ham so I've started Ham Radio Prep; excited to see so many other SF members involved in it!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post