SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Office use paper shredder - What works?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Office use paper shredder - What works? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Since we don't use a wood stove any more, my preferred method of disposing of personal papers is no longer available.

So, I guess I should get a shredder. Amazon has them from $30 to $300.

I don't need to shred books, but a few sheets at a whack would be nice, and something that doesn't jam up or burn out after a few uses would be good. I'm thinking I should be able to get a decent unit for $100-ish.

Experience and recommendations appreciated.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've had the best luck with a Fellowes shredder. You might look into one like this:

Fellowes Powershred Micro-Cut

Posts: 18083 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
They're all made in china. Just get one with a heavier motor (more sheet capacity) than you need, and does cross cut, and it should pretty much last forever.

Normal wear and tear will basically never kill the motor and blades. It's when you overload it that puts undue stress that holds things in alignment or wears out the motor.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW, shredder oil is necessary.

My shredder was going bad. I purchased a new one. The sales rep advised me to use shredder oil every so often.

Since I had not yet tossed out my old one, I decided to run a bit of shredder oil through it. I'll be danged if that sucker didn't roar back to life.

Now I have 2 shredders. Seems I have turned into the family shredder guy.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The more horsepower the better especially if you have much to do.
Have a Fellows under $200 but it can get overwhelmed fast when I have a bunch to shred.
Don't bother with the bottom end ones.
YMMV

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get only a Micro cut shredder as it turns paper into small confetti and will grind up credit cards, too.

Shredder oil is a must for quiet operation.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Amazon sells one branded AMAZON and it works well.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've got this in my office, it eats all you feed it. A bit more than you budget, but perhaps they make some similar for less.

I much prefer the cross-cut models to standard strip ones. The strips don't really destroy ability to look at items, IMHO.

Fellows 79CI

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Fire pit and some lighter fluid. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
I had bad luck with a Fellowes PS60C-2. Didn't hold up to moderate usage. Other Fellowes models may be OK but this one was not good.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Odd timing on this... 3 weeks ago I picked up a shredder from OfficeMax Ativa 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder.

I have BOXES of old paper that have my SSN and bank info on them that I just don't need to keep around anymore. I go this one because it's a cross cut shredder, it was on sale and by signing up for their emails (that go directly to my junk mail) I got an extra 20% off. Ordered online (chat with an agent who applied the 20% off) for a grand total of $63 + tax and I picked it up the next day.

I've been using it quite a bit and should have picked up some lubricant for it - that I'll probably get on Amazon. I've only had it for 3 weeks, but it it's been working well so far.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've gone through several in my life. Right now I'm using a $30 shredder I bought at Aldi and it's the best one yet but none of my prior ones were high end models, usually 50-$75 sale items.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can you put micro cut paper in the recycle bin, at the curb?

can you use it as mulch ,maybe?
and is there a hole that you add oil in too ?

do all shredders have a place to put oil?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54671 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
We have had a Staples brand crosscut shredder, love it. Pretty heavy duty, does credit cards too. Think it was just under $100. We’ve had it at least 4-5 years now.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

and is there a hole that you add oil in too ?

do all shredders have a place to put oil?

My shredders instruction manual said to apply the oil to a piece of paper, then shred it. Do this a few times.

Other manufacturers may have different instructions. There are videos on YouTube to give you an idea.

posted Hide Post
is 3 in one oil ok ? or sewing machine oil ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54671 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Had a Fellowes but didn't last well (YMMV).

I have a Royal 150MX that's been working well for several years. It's not petite but it's been sturdy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Fellowes has done good by me. Get the most expensive one you can stand.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Odd timing on this... 3 weeks ago I picked up a shredder from OfficeMax Ativa 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder.

I have BOXES of old paper that have my SSN and bank info on them that I just don't need to keep around anymore. I go this one because it's a cross cut shredder, it was on sale and by signing up for their emails (that go directly to my junk mail) I got an extra 20% off. Ordered online (chat with an agent who applied the 20% off) for a grand total of $63 + tax and I picked it up the next day.

I've been using it quite a bit and should have picked up some lubricant for it - that I'll probably get on Amazon. I've only had it for 3 weeks, but it it's been working well so far.

My credit union has free shred-it days every quarter, limited to 3 of the cardboard size file boxes. If you have a big amount to do, this is so much quicker time wise for you, as well as no wear on your home shredder.

Check your local bank and credit union, library system, municipality, etc, if they offer this.

I used to work with a guy who was too cheap to buy one. Every few days he'd bring in a handful from home and sneak them into the company office shredder and the weekly service contractor would pick up and shred. Boss was not too happy when he found out because we paid the contractor by the pound.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I got tired of the cheap ones that kept breaking so I bought a Dahle.

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post