SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Office use paper shredder - What works?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Office use paper shredder - What works? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
BTW, shredder oil is necessary.

My shredder was going bad. I purchased a new one. The sales rep advised me to use shredder oil every so often.

Since I had not yet tossed out my old one, I decided to run a bit of shredder oil through it. I'll be danged if that sucker didn't roar back to life.

Now I have 2 shredders. Seems I have turned into the family shredder guy.
After reading this thread i looked at Amazon for shredder oil. Nine bucks for a small bottle. Then I read the reviews for the shredder oil. Many, many, people state that it is basically Canola oil. Same stuff you probably have in your kitchen. The recommendation was to spray (or dampen) a sheet of paper with Canola oil and just run it through your shredder, then run the shredder in reverse for a few seconds to make sure that the lubricant is spread evenly on the blades.

I'm going to try it. I'll report back if I encounter a problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Heathen! You're supposed to use organic free range vegan sustainably harvested olive oil!

Big Grin

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I had an Amazon Basics model that does the job well.

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is 3 in one oil ok ? or sewing machine oil ?

The bottle of shredder oil I have at work appears to just be soybean oil, so I imagine just about anything would work.

I use a bit of Mobil 1 motor oil on my shredder at home, can't really tell the difference. Vegetable oil turns sticky over time, so I avoid it.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll vote against the amazon basic. Mine worked great for just over a year then the sensor that detects something fed into it went out. It still shreds fine, I just have to switch it on every time to shred something.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post