SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet encryption and lava lamps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet encryption and lava lamps Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I found this article interesting.
https://www.cloudflare.com/lea...ava-lamp-encryption/

quote:
… To produce the unpredictable, chaotic data necessary for strong encryption, a computer must have a source of random data. The "real world" turns out to be a great source for randomness, because events in the physical world are unpredictable.

As one might expect, lava lamps are consistently random. The "lava" in a lava lamp never takes the same shape twice, and as a result, observing a group of lava lamps is a great source for random data. …

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This strategy was incorporated into an episode of NCIS. I thought it may have been a fabrication.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
There was an episode of NCIS featuring this concept of lava lamps and encryption.

Edit to add. bettysnephew beat me to it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I am generally good with math, but pretty ignorant about computer and data systems.

I understand how a lava lamp provides randomness for a strong encryption. I don’t understand how that newly generated random encryption key is stored so it can be used to decrypt later, or how it would be transmitted to a second party that needed to decrypt the info.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So all the AI clusters in the world will be using lava lamps as their RNG? I don't think so, for no other reason than the power consumption (Lava lamps use heat to work). Maybe the heat source would be the CPU itself? In that case, I wonder how long it would take for the AI to learn to manage the RNG?

Skynet is already here, it just isn't aware of "us" yet.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I am generally good with math, but pretty ignorant about computer and data systems.

I understand how a lava lamp provides randomness for a strong encryption. I don’t understand how that newly generated random encryption key is stored so it can be used to decrypt later, or how it would be transmitted to a second party that needed to decrypt the info.

Do a search for "public key encryption." This depends on equations/calculations that are computationally easy to execute, but hard to deduce. You have two keys, each of which can uniquely decrypt data that is encrypted by the other. So you can freely give out the public key as long as you keep the private key to yourself. Anything that can be decrypted by the public key is certain to have been encrypted by a specific private key, and vice versa. So two entities that have each other's public keys (and have not lost control of their own private keys) can communicate securely with one another.

In practice the encryption is usually done twice, once with the sender's private key (this proves who it is from, AKA non-repudiation), and again with the recipient's public key (which only he can decrypt {with his private key}). Whole systems of enabling software have been developed to facilitate this capability, the major open source contenders being PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) and S/MIME (Secure Multimedia Mail Exchange). The notion of Certificates uses this as well, with the public key being encapsulated in the certificate, and the private key a separate object.

Most reasonable mailers make this easy, almost transparent, with the major additional effort on the user's part being key management. However, you only have to deal with key management for a particular correspondent once, so it isn't the insurmountable barrier many users seem to think it is. What is hard is explaining to your correspondent what they have to do on their end to make it happen.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Besides being too cumbersome, the data rate of random number production by a lava lamp is too low.

Quantum noise produced by a reverse biased p-n junction is a much better method. See “quantum mechanical tunneling of carriers through the bandgap” in this article:

http://holdenc.altervista.org/avalanche/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Back in university in the 90s we used pulsars to key off of for our random number generators

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

I think I see two questions here:

1) the lava lamp or anything truly random is used because a computer program that generates random numbers isn’t truly random.

2) if I recall correctly the discussions from one of my classes, this is how it works: there’s a master key paired to one or possibly more than one encryption key. You can publish or give away the encryption key and tell people, “you want to send me a secure message, use this key to encrypt it and I’m the only one who can open the message.”

In a two way secure communication, the sender will use the encryption to send the sender’s encryption key to the recipient along with any verification information to confirm the sender’s identity. When that’s established, both parties can transmit messages to the other person using the other person’s encryption key and unlocking encrypted messages sent to them with their master key.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
architect explained the process a couple of posts above.

ETA – usually a pseudo random number is sufficient. If not, then some physical process is used to generate a more random number.

In either case the number can then be fed into a secure hashing algorithm, such as SHA-n to produce a hash of some suitable length.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not encryption, but for passwords:
I use DICEWARE to generate passwords. Randomness is generated by literally rolling dice.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post