SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we talk Cat Litter?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk Cat Litter? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Stinky subject I know Big Grin

Self explanatory, pretty much. Need better odor protection.

We have a set of 3 stacking sifting trays.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We use Dr. Elseys multi cat unscented litter with our 5 cats. The boxes get scooped every morning but they still stink, especially the older the litter gets.

Dr. Elseys Multi Cat Litter

The boxes get cleaned and scrubbed every two weeks.

The other thing is our cats like to stand and pee so we use the large storage containers as litter boxes. This way they can pee on the tall plastic and not the wall behind.

That can stink too so we spray Mary Ellen’s Atmosklear Odor Eliminator on the walls of the boxes when needed. It’s good on cat spray too.

Then sometimes our precious little stinky fur balls like to stick their butt outside of the box and pee on the floor in front of the box. So, we put pee pads in front of the boxes. We replace those with every cleaning or if someone missed the box.

Sheesh...... they have us well trained....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5761 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scoop Away works well; the problem is frequent cleaning and anything that remains between cleaning. Clumping finer cat littler tends to remove more urine from the box, as it clumps and is easily sifted or scooped, making the litter stay fresher, longer.

The litter also lasts longer.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I use plain ol' Purina Tidy Cat 4-in-1 Strength in my cat box. The box is in the laundry room and sits on a cat litter mat that does a pretty good job of trapping the litter off my kitty's paws so they don't track it around the house. I have a plug in air freshener in the laundry room as well as one plugged into the hallway. Every time I have friends over, I ask them if they smelled cat box odor when they came in and they will always answer "No" before I even finish the question.

I clean the box daily and will change boxes every 6 months. The box may help in limiting odor as well and this is the one I have...

Cat Box Link - Amazon

I got the triangular one so it would fit in the corner. They sell a rectangular one as well.

I also bought this to store the waste in...

Litter Genie - Amazon

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one point in my life, I had so many cats I should have bought stock in Tidy Cat.
Worlds Best Cat Litter. Corn based. Clumps good.Flushable. Good odor control, provided the cat actually covers up the the crap. Mine just craps and leaves the box. Roll Eyes
Worlds Best costs more, but lasts longer. My local pet supply place has a program where you buy 10 bags, the 11th is free!
And scoop every day. Every day. The cat hates a dirty litter box.
I had a Vet tell me that clay based litters can be bad for your cats lungs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Like the name says....World's Best Cat Litter!

We have two cats and use the 'Red' Multi-Cat Clumping Formula. It's natural, unscented and flushable. We scoop twice a day (In the morning and nightly, right before bed), and we have NO odor! We also have sewers, so we flush it right down the toilet....Super Convenient.

We buy 15 lb. bags at Walmart, which is the best price I've found.

https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8933 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I also use Dr. Elseys. No matter what you use it stinks. I would not recommend anything that has added scent. First it smells like crap and will stick in your sinuses after scooping, then you will come to hate the smell. Second, it may alter cats behavior, and they could stop going where they are supposed to.

Clean twice a day if once a day doesn't cut down smell.

Black is a moron, he still hasn't figured out how to take a dump.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
We use tidy cats for our two. I scoop it every day, and change the whole thing every week. After I scoop it, I give the whole tray a good spray with Febreze.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I add baking powder to the mix as well to reduce the stink!!!

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately for me, I scoop the litter boxes (2) boxes for 2 cats. I put a lot of litter in each box. Like 15 lbs and scoop it once a week. Add litter as needed.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal multi cat. Works really well and kills the smell. I have a REALLY sensitive nose for cat smells and I have no complaints. I scoop 3-4 times a week.

Posts: 9 | Location: Kalamazoo | Registered: January 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Get a cat genie.

An.automatic litterbox.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
EverClean - pricey, but you get what you pay for... Smile

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had an automatic one but too many cats. We use tidy cat scoop.

I usually scoop twice a day.

Have two litter boxes per cat and keep them apart.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Apparently right now I'm using "Dr. Elsey's Tracks". My Handyman purchases litter and services the boxes for me. I don't have a big odor problem with it.

Tried a Cat Genie some years ago--my cats wouldn't use it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Scoop Away from Costco. What I've found is that the scoopers you get from stores have gaps far too large which don't let the scoop to pick up the smaller fragments. So I use a fryer strainer/skimmer utensil that can pick up all the little pieces. This keeps the litter much fresher. And I keep on add fresh litter as the box gets low.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Three cats. Two litter boxes--one very large (a repurposed storage container, actually), the other a large normal litter box. We use Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance (red) litter. I scoop the boxes twice-a-day. Wipe the sides of any spray with OdoBan.

It's vitally important to keep three inches or better of litter in the box.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
We have two cats, both elderly. One is a gray petite tabby the other is white, deaf, a blue eye and a green eye and man can she lay down some heat. I mean the box is downstairs and if she takes a shit you can smell it upstairs within 5 minutes. It doesn't matter if you use industrial grade clay that could mummify a whale her shit stinks! The other one, she's so small she screams when she drops a deuce but to keep the odor down to a low roar we change the box a couple times a week with Tidy Cat.

Funny thing, my X's mom had 5 cats and all she did was change out the box every day with newspaper she hand shredded. You would have never known she had any cats unless you saw them.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
^^^We have one like that. He always comes tearing out of the bathroom afterwards. We used to think it was cute, now we know he is running from the poison gas Smile We use Arm & Hammer litter.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
And one more thing. The Iprimio litter box scooper is the best scooper on the market. It’s just the right size and more importantly, has a solid grip handle that doesn’t move around when digging at the tough corners. I would highly recommend getting one.

Iprimio Litter Box Scooper

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5761 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post