SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You know what happens when you have officers who have spent their entire (short) career being afraid?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
You know what happens when you have officers who have spent their entire (short) career being afraid? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
You have three year officers, not exactly rookey's, waiting for two more backup units before they respond to a domestic where the victim is getting stabbed.

Because they are afraid to do anything without their backup.

Mad

And right before that, we had the stolen car that got stuck with five bad guys in it. Sergeant told the officer to stand down untll his backup was there. They all five got away. Literally 50 feet in front of him.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised as I am sure they have a pistol at the very minimum and a violent assault would seem a very good reason to draw it. Hope none of those guys ever back you up as they sound like they won't be the quality of officer you would need.

Posts: 1158 | Location: Near Orlando, FL | Registered: September 25, 2011Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
How did they ever get hired?

The hiring process isn't only flawed, it's just outright fucked up.

Met a cop couple weeks ago and thought to myself, "how the hell did you get hired? Probably had a connection..." Roll Eyes

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Confused on your initial comment. Was this a solo car responding to the call?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean that they're afraid of doing something that could get them in trouble as opposed to being actually afraid of responding to a given situation...?

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
No they were scared that they would have to use lethal force. If someone is actively getting stabbed you don't wait for backup, you get there and shoot that MFer if they don't surrender.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I assume you mean that they're afraid of doing something that could get them in trouble as opposed to being actually afraid of responding to a given situation...?

Not unlike the military, how will this affect my career vs how do we fix this?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
No they were scared that they would have to use lethal force.

That's precisely my suspicion. I hope it's not cowardice.

Yes, 1 man cars. I was brought up to roll into a situation where it could be a murder in progress...we have guns and vests for a reason...

We stage for backup on most domestics/disputes...but an officer should not sit around for what comes across as an attempted murder as it unfolds with the dispatcher. Kick the fuckin door and start to work.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Met a cop couple weeks ago and thought to myself, "how the hell did you get hired? Probably had a connection..." Roll Eyes

I share your feelings. Not that I'm so great, but repeated rejection over the last couple of years sometimes bugs me when I see guys hired that I can't figure out what they have that I don't. Fuck it.

CSuerte, that sucks. Seems like a morale eroder for sure to experience that and have it endorsed by command.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Report This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
A scared cop is a dangerous cop. Just as dogs recognize fear by both sight and smell, many humans are very perceptive.

The scared cop will be the first to shoot and the first escalate the situation.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
They wouldn't survive in a rural area where you are the only one within 15-30 minutes.

You had better learn how to deal with the problems.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Highway:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I share your feelings. Not that I'm so great, but repeated rejection over the last couple of years sometimes bugs me when I see guys hired that I can't figure out what they have that I don't. Fuck it.

CSuerte, that sucks. Seems like a morale eroder for sure to experience that and have it endorsed by command.

They look good on paper but get them on the defensive tactics mats and watch them dicktuck. Get them in front of someone who DOES NOT WANT TO GO TO JAIL and watch them dicktuck. They'll get themselves or someone else killed before they get forced out to some sleepy town where their highlight is directing traffic during rush hour.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
there are numerous issues here:
1. Poor selection
2. Poor training
3. Fear
4. Policy
5. Lots of cops are genuinely confused and afraid of the out come, even if they do their jobs by the book.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Report This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Three examples:
ex-military, he looked very sharp, always shined shoes and leather. Bought his own shirts had a fresh one every day. Made the department look Good!

Minority, lied in court, could not be trusted, lied on search warrants and reports. "We need one of those people to show we are not prejudice". "They all lie and cheat, but everybody knows that so it is no surprise".

His father owns the press that has a lot of editorials on the police, with his son here they will not speak against us.

All three afraid of their shadows and first to pull a gun.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Report This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
Consider the political mind set of the District Attorney and his/her willingness to demonize the police for career advancement. Also the potential for the suspect to hire an aggressive attorney to sue the department let alone the officer/officers involved.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
They wouldn't survive in a rural area where you are the only one within 15-30 minutes.

You had better learn how to deal with the problems.

This was a problem in my area several years ago. Used to be the quietest times on the scanner was when one of the two Game Wardens called for backup. Nothing but crickets. They were usually off the beaten path and there was a very good chance that whoever they were dealing with was armed. Roll Eyes

Fortunately those times are gone. Still rural, but the guys working now seem to be on the ball.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Our last quitter made it four years before finally throwing in the towel. It was cowardice.

Neighboring department just had one quit because of cowardice. First week out of field training.

Hmmm...when we work in the ghetto it's not gonna be Mayberry. We're all short handed and one man cars. Sometimes you just don't have the luxury of backup. Still gotta do your job.

We just hired a new kid that starts next month. Better not be a coward or I'll flunk him out. Not going to coddle anyone. Either you can do the job or you can't.
We're looking at another kid who is already a county sheriff. His backup is usually 45 mins away. I think he'll work out fine if we hire him. Which I hope we do.

You also can't let the fear of being sued stop you from doing your job. It may look bleak at times but if you did the right thing it will eventually come out in your favor. Sixth Circuit court just reversed trial court in my almost four year old wrongful death lawsuit on Friday. Took a long time but in the end I knew I was right and am glad to be vindicated.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kick the fuckin door and start to work.

Words to live by.

Thanks for all you do Chongo.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, when I was a wee lil' Cop, a real good friend of mine Mother was a Cop.

Marge Hamilton.

GREAT Lady! A true South Side Irish Mom, and a Cop. One of the first actual Police Women on the job. The type of Mom all the kids were afraid of because she didn't mess around, and had no problem giving you a crack in the back of the head / knocking you out cold with a solid right cross depending on how bad you messed up. A "No-Bullshit" lady who raise three (lunatic) sons after her husband passed. One of the best Cops you'd ever meet. Bosses would go out of their way to say "Hi" to her.

She succinctly put it one night: "You can't fix stupid, and you can't fix being a pussy!"

Wise woman, she was! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Chongo - I see this morning that a CMPD and NC officer were both struck by fleeing suspect in a car Saturday night. Sounds like both will be alright. Stay safe.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post