SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Refrigerator repair - to repair or not to repair?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator repair - to repair or not to repair? Login/Join 
posted
I've got a second hand LG side-by-side that we bought second hand about four years ago for $500-600. It's worked just fine.

Yesterday it stopped cooling. Compressor won't kick on.

So, do I pay a tech to come out to diagnose for $200 and then suggest $400-1000 in repairs?

Or bite the bullet and just go for new? Fortunately I can afford a new one these days.

I guess it boils down to whether to waste time and money with the diagnosis.

It's an LG LSXS26326S.

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
LG LSXS26326S

I'd try self repair path first. Use a site like this (have been helpful for me in the past - diagnosing and replacing a relay for compressor).

I wouldn't spend more than several hundred total (say, $400-500 max). More than that, I'd probably be looking at new fridge (but not sure what availability and prices look like these days).

https://www.repairclinic.com/R...rator-Not-Cooling-00

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you can get a new one, I’d go with one of those. Would you be able to get away with a used commercial fridge?

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding a new refrigerator in stock, or with reasonable wait times. Call your local appliance vendor and ask them about availability, I think you'll be surprised.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree you should try the self repair first.
Our frige quit cooling last month.
We were going to buy a new one but, the only ones available were the basic models, the others were 30-60 day wait time.
Ours was just the fan and replaced it for $70, it is 10 years old, but it buys us the time to find the one we want and the wait time for it.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Location probably also determines what's available in stock. The dealers here in the KC metro say to only shop what's in stock, they have no idea on how long of a wait it will be for any orders placed.

Link

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Repair clinic is a good source for tips on what's wrong with your model and parts, you can find them from Amazon as well if you can't locate the parts locally.

The cost for parts with the GE in my garage off Amazon was under $25, the labor rate to come out and install them was significantly higher. 4 screws, one plug, and the defrost heater that was fubar was replaced and it's working fine.

If you are a sams club/costco member they offer concierge service on appliances and have deals, they deliver remove, install.. no extra charge.

Right now it's memorial day sales on appliances

https://www.costco.com/appliances.html

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just went down the path of repairing.

6-8 months later it crapped out completely and I had to throw out a bunch of food.

In my opinion skip $ on repairing and avoid more problems down the road.

You stated you can afford a new one, so I say take the repair $ and put it toward new.

I just got a new one a couple months ago and I’m quite happy with it.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Repairclinic website should help you out.

I had an LG that quit cooling. I could hear a click but the compressor would not kick on.

There were two relay switches which could be the cause. I just ordered them both. $50 bucks for both shipped fix the issue.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, gonna test continuity on the compressor first. I've got a good local parts place that is helpful. I do see some GE units in stock locally though.

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
If you buy new....DO NOT buy Samsung or LG

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d not throw good money after bad on a LG refrigerator.

Posts: 26919 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LG is not a good Frig to invest in. Replace it with another brand (not Samsung) and be done with it.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
LG customer service is horrible at least from my experience. Microwave, door release button broke within the first year of ownership.

They jerked me around for a month, finally went to Home Depot where I bought it in June of last year. One of the store assistant managers stepped up and exchanged it for me even though I only asked them to contact LG in my behalf as I was getting nowhere.

A week later LG sent me an email offering to assist me. And about a week later a emailed survey rating their product and service.

They got a response, not too complementary. Heard nothing more.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appliance parts guy confirmed my suspicion that the compressor is dead. I checked continuity on the common, run and start terminals. Only got ohms on common to run, not on the others. So, the compressor is dead. $1000-1200 to replace. Needless to say, the LG is getting scrapped.

Wife and I found a GE model at RC Wiley that we like, but not in stock. In stock at Lowe's and delivery is next week.

Thanks all!

P229

posted Hide Post
On a positive note, you could use your worthless LG Frig for ammo storage outside in your garage..

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over nine years old - toss it
Under 7 years old get an rstimate

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would NOT repair any appliance made after about 1982. They are all now designed to fail after a specific service life and if one item, like a compressor, fails everything else will fail rapidly after that repair.

Note, a very expensive example of this crap is any BMW and Mercedes. Once you turn that odometer over at 100K miles you now have a money pit that really should be scrapped.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There is apparently a Class Action Lawsuit against LG for bad compressors. It seems that the compressor is of a bad design, or manufacture, or both, and supposedly it's only a matter of when, not if, it fails.

You might google that and see if you might be compensated, even though you bought it used.
Who knows? It could pay off.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Looked online and Costco seems to have fridges available for fairly quick delivery....prices are pretty good too.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Repair clinic is a good source for tips on what's wrong with your model and parts, you can find them from Amazon as well if you can't locate the parts locally.

The cost for parts with the GE in my garage off Amazon was under $25, the labor rate to come out and install them was significantly higher. 4 screws, one plug, and the defrost heater that was fubar was replaced and it's working fine.

If you are a sams club/costco member they offer concierge service on appliances and have deals, they deliver remove, install.. no extra charge.

Right now it's memorial day sales on appliances

https://www.costco.com/appliances.html

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post