SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying back a totaled car…UPDATE 1: second car accident UPDATE 2: pictures posted
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying back a totaled car…UPDATE 1: second car accident UPDATE 2: pictures posted Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had one car that was totaled and I wish I would have bought it back.

It was a high mileage car and not worth much to anyone but me. I took great care of the car. When I went to replace it, I couldn't find another one that was even slightly comparable for the money. I had to spend 4k out of pocket on top of the insurance money to find a replacement that I thought was OK (Same model but a step down in trim level and engine size).

I could have taken that 4k and fixed the front end (hit a deer) and been very happy.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would only at totaled car that was older. They are easy to total out as cosmetic damage is enough. Newer car with structeral damage. forget about it

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Depending on the age of the vehicle, you may be able to file for diminished value in addition to whatever the carrier offers, total vehicle and check, or repair. The theory is that the vehicle prior to being wrecked has a value of X and after being wrecked it's value is less.

The addition of the accident report to your car fax further reduces its value since anyone buying or trading for it will have complete information on the accident reducing the cars value.

Also in your state there are probably laws on the amount of time you and your occupants have to get checked out by a physician for any ailments that are the result of the accident.

In any event if there are any issues of a medical nature, get yourself educated on the laws and to a physician before the time is up or you could forfeit any rights to claim medical.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Unless you are in the collision business get a qualified person to look it over FIRST.

With the damage you cite to the right front control arm there could be damage to the unibody, subframe or full frame depending how your car was constructed. And since you mention damage to the fender on the left side is that from the body structure being twisted or the curb hit when you went out of the roadway?

If front or all wheel drive there could be transmission and or transfer case damage not evident until tear down

My wife was in a crash awhile back with a year old car, took a hard hit to the right front corner, deployed the air bags. I worked in a dealership at that time, it went to our body shop. In retrospect even the damage was not enough to total it I wish they had. It was never right from that day on, I suspect the steering
rack and pinion was damaged. Despite a new engine cradle it always had a pull to the right afterwards, the insurance company basically said “no problem found”, refused to replace the rack. They named a bad alignment job as the cause but two different techs at my shop and when I changed jobs a tech at the new dealership all tried.

Sheet metal replacement is a whole different matter, bolt on,no problem. Weld on, problem, including door hinges.

I’d let it go.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In response to a couple of the points above: You should not have to come out of pocket to replace the car. If you get a lowball offer (and you probably will), go look for the actual car you want and counter with the OTD price, plus loss of use and any other incidentals. You do not have to accept blue book or any other publication if it doesn’t reflect the current market price.

You can get paid for diminution in value but not on a salvaged vehicle. On a salvage the carrier is buying the car from you at fair market value in un-wrecked condition and you are buying it back from them. The difference between those two numbers is the diminution. That claim only works if they are going to repair it and you have a repaired vehicle but with a bad history.

Posts: 988 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I had a car totaled and got a very fair cash settlement from the at fault other driver's insurance. After that, they also offered me the opportunity to buy the car back for just $700 + delivery.

It I were still single Wink and had an empty garage bay I could easily have made 3 times that parting it out.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
The OP orginaly stated that he hated waiting. Well no matter which route he takes he is in for a wait due to many factors beyond his control. If trying to buy back and have it repaired is a major can of worms. Vehicle will never be as good as before the accident. Salvaged title makes getting insurance also a can of worms. Also value will never be the same if trying to sell at a later date. I have always considered that insurance was a form of " legalized gambling" because you were hoping to be made whole after a filing a claim. ......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
One of my sons had a 2016 F-150 XLT with about 80K on it and while he was at a stop sign some person rear ended him going about 50 mph according to the police report, bending the frame and the bed.

He found out earlier today they were going to total it and offered him more than he paid for it. He is beyond happy and since he’s getting ready to deploy for almost a year he’s going to just pocket the money and buy his replacement next year hopefully after this chip shortage gets resolved.
He said if it wasn’t going to be totaled he was going to get it fixed and sell it as he didn’t want to drive a truck that had a bent frame…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you can fix it yourself, it will be fine.

If you have to shell out wads of cash...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought 2 vehicles back after insurance totaled them. Both were older with just superficial damage. Fender, hood, radiator, headlight. No suspension damage. Still driving one.

In North Carolina, not a problem getting liability insurance only. Title returns with salvage lettering. No/minimal resale value. Just drive it until it dies.

All of the above applying to older vehicles that I had already owned for multiple years. Knew the history and condition of the entire vehicle.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, I see a pattern.

AAA and I talked today, she said it seems clear it wasn’t my fault and they got my back. It should go to the collision center tomorrow. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s likely a goner, and that’s ok. If so, I’ll let it go. Somebody asked what caused the damage to the driver side fender… it was the wheel and tire getting twisted off and pushed up into the fender that caused it, or so it seems to me. For those keeping score, it is. 2014 Ford Flex Limited, w/AWD and Ecoboost.

In a not fun twist of fate I was driving my 2002 F150 today on my way to workout when I was slammed into from behind. I don’t think the lady ever saw traffic stopped and was probably doing at least 35-40. The frame, right behind the rear axel, is bent so bad the ball hitch was almost at ground level. The bed itself buckled up quite a bit. The rear windshield blew in. The leaf springs look bent out of shape. Given its age and the frame damage alone, it’s done for. Too bad, it was a good truck with a pretty new engine.

So now we likely have to buy 2 cars in a hurry. I hate that most of all. I don’t enjoy car shopping in the best of times.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Both of your vehicles are worth a heck of a lot more today then a year ago. Make sure you are compensated accordingly because replacing one or both will be pricy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I've been out of the claims game for a few years now but make sure the total loss adjuster is factoring in the higher price of used cars right now for the settlement total. They likely are but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I don’t enjoy car shopping in the best of times.

Thumper, if you are looking for newer used vehicles, check out Roberts Auto Sales there in Modesto. I have heard nothing but stellar things about them. Look at their website to see what they offer. No sleazy salesmen trying to screw you. I know of at least 6 people that have made multiple purchases from them.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
May I suggest an MRAP?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
May I suggest an MRAP?

That may be a prudent choice given how this week is going.

quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I don’t enjoy car shopping in the best of times.

Thumper, if you are looking for newer used vehicles, check out Roberts Auto Sales there in Modesto. I have heard nothing but stellar things about them. Look at their website to see what they offer. No sleazy salesmen trying to screw you. I know of at least 6 people that have made multiple purchases from them.

We’ve bought from them once before, about 11 years ago. As far as car buying goes it was a pleasant process with them.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No advice, just want to say that totally sucks and I wish you best outcome.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Attempting to post pictures…

July 6

July 4

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be a dissenting voice here, and this is why...

Two years ago I purchased not one, but two cars that had been rebuilt under a salvage title; a 2013 Honda Accord LX, and a 2013 VW Jetta SE 2.5. While the bodywork wasn't perfect, the vehicles themselves run and drive like they were never wrecked, and I got them both for well under $10,000.00 off the lot (IIRC, it was more like $8,500 for both).

My wife drives the Honda, and I drive the Jetta, which I have totally fallen in love with. I consider it THE most fun car to drive since my days of racing Fiat X1/9's back in the '80's! If I live long enough to wear it out, I'll buy another VW in a heartbeat!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post