SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying back a totaled car…UPDATE 1: second car accident UPDATE 2: pictures posted
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying back a totaled car…UPDATE 1: second car accident UPDATE 2: pictures posted Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ouch, interesting on the Flex, doesn't appear much body damage there.
Being an EB & AWD, I'd wonder about how much drivetrain damage was there & if there's damage to the suspension connections to the body.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wow tore the half shaft right off the transmission! That will require some work, maybe even new trans depending on what the forces did to it.

Snapped the lower control arm, with the wheel at that angle the shock is angled out, so the shock tower and body inside the engine compartment is probably bent.

Hard to tell if that frame is bent in or if thats the way it was made, the bent rim is probably where the wheel hit the frame and when the control arm snapped, fluids on the ground means something broke that is leaking now, oil pan, trans case, etc.

F150 frame is sure bent, she must have been really moving when she hit it.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^REALLY Moving....And NO Airbag Deployment!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks like the front bumper went under the Rear of the F150 and it took out the grill and hood of her car. Perhaps why airbags didn't deploy, or they did and have deflated and hang below the dash where we can't see them.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Ouch, interesting on the Flex, doesn't appear much body damage there.
Being an EB & AWD, I'd wonder about how much drivetrain damage was there & if there's damage to the suspension connections to the body.

The bulk of the body damage is on the passenger side where it impacted the other vehicle. The damage in the picture came from hitting the curb of the center divider and probably 35-40mph.

The tow driver also improperly loaded it. I was close enough to see it happen but far away enough to not be able to intervene. He hooked up his winch and dragged the car off the medium and up the ramp with the car still in park, engine off. Being AWD I imagine that did more damage.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Again, ouch.
Hopefully, if it isn't totaled, they can make it right.

We have a '13 Flex SEL FWD & my in-laws have a '16 Flex SEL AWD & they've both been fantastic. We just rolled 125k on ours over the weekend.
Hindsight, I wish I'd looked just a bit longer & found a Limited, if for nothing else, than for the folding mirrors. We've wiped both of them out backing into the garage Roll Eyes

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I'm going to be a dissenting voice here, and this is why...

Two years ago I purchased not one, but two cars that had been rebuilt under a salvage title; a 2013 Honda Accord LX, and a 2013 VW Jetta SE 2.5. While the bodywork wasn't perfect, the vehicles themselves run and drive like they were never wrecked, and I got them both for well under $10,000.00 off the lot (IIRC, it was more like $8,500 for both).

My wife drives the Honda, and I drive the Jetta, which I have totally fallen in love with. I consider it THE most fun car to drive since my days of racing Fiat X1/9's back in the '80's! If I live long enough to wear it out, I'll buy another VW in a heartbeat!

If a person either has his or her own collision shop or an “in” at one it’s a whole different matter on fixing a crashed vehicle. Discounted parts, either you or your workers labor, you can turn a profit. But when you come in off the street and pay full markup it’s a different situation.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Wow tore the half shaft right off the transmission! That will require some work, maybe even new trans depending on what the forces did to it.

Snapped the lower control arm, with the wheel at that angle the shock is angled out, so the shock tower and body inside the engine compartment is probably bent.

Hard to tell if that frame is bent in or if thats the way it was made, the bent rim is probably where the wheel hit the frame and when the control arm snapped, fluids on the ground means something broke that is leaking now, oil pan, trans case, etc.

F150 frame is sure bent, she must have been really moving when she hit it.

The rim actually kind of shattered. I picked up several large chunks of it so they don’t end up in someone’s tire. The whole thing kinda split length-wise.

No fluid leak, that’s condensation from the AC. It stayed running while we waited. The kids were in the car and it seemed safest to leave them buckled in but it was over 100 degrees.

Yea, she was moving. I think the speed limit is 55 on the stretch of road, people move faster than that. No skid marks so maybe she never tried to stop, or an anti-skid system worked. Her airbag did deploy, mine didn’t. I did hit the car in front of me (who hit the car in front of her), but not hard enough to trigger my airbag.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Attempting to post pictures…

That frame is hosed, you are never going to be happy no matter how much you dump into that.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

That frame is hosed, you are never going to be happy no matter how much you dump into that.

I’ve got not intention or interest in keeping the truck. It hasn’t even been seen by an adjuster yet but I’ve already cleaned it out and removed the aftermarket audio equipment. I might even swap out tires if I can find some suitable cheap used ones. The ones on there are nearly new.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
At six months and 6,000 miles, my F350 was T-boned by a PT Cruiser that ran a stop sign. The frame cost $3,500 and the total cost of repairs was $22,000 including the frame which was about 35%-40% of the value if the truck. The truck is now 5 years old with 110,000 miles and has one intermittent issue with the wiring harness, but has otherwise been fine.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

Two years ago I purchased not one, but two cars that had been rebuilt under a salvage title; a 2013 Honda Accord LX, and a 2013 VW Jetta SE 2.5. While the bodywork wasn't perfect, the vehicles themselves run and drive like they were never wrecked, and I got them both for well under $10,000.00 off the lot (IIRC, it was more like $8,500 for both).

My wife drives the Honda, and I drive the Jetta, which I have totally fallen in love with. I consider it THE most fun car to drive since my days of racing Fiat X1/9's back in the '80's! If I live long enough to wear it out, I'll buy another VW in a heartbeat!
Any financing or insurance issues with the cars? I've heard insurers are none to excited about insuring a rebuilt title car nor are lenders getting in line to loan money on them. What has been your experience?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Actually, the frame bent behind the rear axle, so the truck may very well drive all right, but it would require substantial work to repair the frame rails. I've seen a similar repair done by removed the bed, cutting off the frame behind the rear axle, and welded in a replacement from a salvage F150. No axle or suspension mounting points were disturbed. No body work and little mechanical work, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it after the fact given the Class 3 hitch hangs on that part of the frame.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
BD has a point, and right now all cars are way over valued due to the market, be sure to get a value of the truck prior to it being damaged, it's value with that frame damage is probably nil, a couple of grand, whereas un wrecked its worth considerably more since the markets tight.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

<<snip>>
Any financing or insurance issues with the cars? I've heard insurers are none to excited about insuring a rebuilt title car nor are lenders getting in line to loan money on them. What has been your experience?

Well, I paid cash for both of them, so no financing to deal with. Regarding insurance, they both carry liability only, so no problems there either.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One of my best car deals was a 2009 Vibe with a ‘salvaged’ title. I knew the negatives going in.

When we were done I gave it to a relative. Things were just fine until she got hit at a snowy intersection in MI. I bought it with 9k miles, totaled with 130k.

I think it all depends.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So, talked to my adjuster this morning. They’re still waiting on the report/estimate for the Flex from the collision place and waiting on pictures of the truck.

However, she did say that the fella who was driving the truck that hit us in the Flex accident is claiming we made a u-turn into his path. I don’t know if he doesn’t really know what happened and is “surmising” or if he is outright lying, but that version of events is perhaps the most ridiculous thing he could have stated. Even with a purely laymen level of physics and how the world works anybody could tell in an instant there is no way that level of damage could occur between a car performing a u-turn from a stop light and a car turning right from a stop light. Is just silly. That doesn’t even account for where the collision would have occurred for his story to make sense in relation to where my car came to rest, on the center medium, missing a wheel.

Just silliness.

So the insurance is going to talk to the witnesses, one of which who was sitting in the turn land I supposed made my u-turn from. It’ll get cleared up PDQ.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Glad no one was hurt and hope you get the outcome that you want.

Definitely consider putting a dash cam in your next vehicle.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
okkkkkk, got the word on the F150. As expected, it is a total loss. They’ve offered just under $10,000 for it, $8400 if I wish to keep it.

No desire to keep it, even with a rebuilt engine that only has 30,000 miles. Frankly, the fact that it has almost brand new tires in it hurts the most.

Was talking about the whole situation with my brother in law. He says the opening number on total loss vehicles is negotiable and situation dependent. Given that engine in it only has 30,000ish miles and the fact that comparable trucks are currently selling for 10-14k he thinks I should counter and try and get a little more out of it.

Thoughts on that?

Still waiting on the news on the Flex. There was a snafu getting it from the tow yard to the collision place.

posted Hide Post
quote:
okkkkkk, got the word on the F150. As expected, it is a total loss. They’ve offered just under $10,000 for it, $8400 if I wish to keep it.

Thoughts on that?

You already have your answer:

quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
In response to a couple of the points above: You should not have to come out of pocket to replace the car. If you get a lowball offer (and you probably will), go look for the actual car you want and counter with the OTD price, plus loss of use and any other incidentals. You do not have to accept blue book or any other publication if it doesn’t reflect the current market price.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post