SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A card carrying Greatest Gen
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A card carrying Greatest Gen Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
member has turned in his card. After being born in 1919 at home on the family farm in OH, surviving working on that farm through the 20s,30s and Depression; training and combat in WWII as a Tank Destroyer forward recon unit attached to Patton's 3rd and the rest of life until last Friday my dad decided enough was enough. He was literally on a lethal dosage of fentanyl for his arthritis, yet still was alert and mentally active. Now the pain is gone, he's with his bride of 64yrs and his legacy lives on through his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. RIP, Dad.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, RIP.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

That's some history your dad lived and experienced.
He's with his bride again ... thats'a happy ending!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad he is not in pain any longer.

I'm lucky in that my father is still pretty healthy. We lost Mom almost 5 years ago - just a few months before what would have been their 65th anniversary.

This generation is fast disappearing from our society, and we will be the worse for it.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers your way. What a great example he set.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
May his memory be a blessing

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the kind of American I would have liked to have known.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry for your loss. That is a fine tribute to your father. I hope the latest generation can begin to appreciate all that his generation accomplished for them.

Posts: 289 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. He is in a better place.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
... thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

That's some history your dad lived and experienced.
He's with his bride again ... thats'a happy ending!

Indeed. A great man.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
member has turned in his card. After being born in 1919 at home on the family farm in OH, surviving working on that farm through the 20s,30s and Depression; training and combat in WWII as a Tank Destroyer forward recon unit attached to Patton's 3rd and the rest of life until last Friday my dad decided enough was enough. He was literally on a lethal dosage of fentanyl for his arthritis, yet still was alert and mentally active. Now the pain is gone, he's with his bride of 64yrs and his legacy lives on through his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. RIP, Dad.

Hopefully I can express this properly. My dad is almost in the same condition. He served on a cruiser toward the end of WWII, mom passed away last year, dad's health is quickly fading. And what could be relatively soon mom and dad will be together again, busily engaged in doing something worthwhile.

I believe in the life hereafter, that family love and family ties are forever, and we will again be with our parents. But until then we must live to honor their legacy.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Men like your dad set the bar high. may he rest in peace, pain free, knowing that he did his duty.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. They don't make them like that any more..

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss, M-11.

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. May Dad rest in peace!

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. I have a Dad and Mom very much like yours, but still in pretty good health. Dad is 93 and Mom will soon be 92. Dad was in the Navy and Mom helped build airplanes during WWII. The greatest generation for sure!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
RIP sir, and thank you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you and your family.

Godspeed Sir, rest in peace.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Prayers to your family.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post