SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    8.5 million pound boulder falls 850 feet onto a Colorado highway
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.5 million pound boulder falls 850 feet onto a Colorado highway Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
The boulder was about the size of a house and dug an 8 foot trench where the highway once was.

https://www.kktv.com/content/n...ghway-510427481.html

DOLORES, Colo. (KKTV) - Boulders weighing a combined 10 million pounds destroyed a stretch of highway in southwestern Colorado and have left road crews with a daunting cleanup job.

"It’s truly mind-boggling that something that big came down," said Mike McVaugh, CDOT Regional Transportation director for southwest Colorado.

McVaugh spoke with 11 News sister station CBS Denver about the job ahead.

The massive boulders were part of a rockslide Friday afternoon that rendered part of Highway 145 impassable. The slide left behind an 8-foot-deep trench where pavement once was.

According to CDOT, the trench was caused by the biggest boulder to fall, which weighs a whopping 8.5 million pounds and is roughly the size of a house. A second boulder landed on the highway that weighs 2.3 pounds. Cleanup crews were dispatched immediately after the slide.

"They sent a plow truck out, they sent a supervisor out. They showed up on site and they were like, ‘That’s not going to work. We’ve got some really big rocks here,’” McVaugh said. “[The boulders] came off a cliff band about 850 feet above the highway."

CDOT further described the operation in a tweet Saturday afternoon:

"A geo-technical crew conducted a ground and aerial investigation of the steep terrain earlier today and determined rock scaling is needed. A team has been airlifted to the “brow” of the ridgeline to clean and clear loose rock that has been found on the face of the ridge. Loose and unstable rock will also need to be cleared from the slope of the mountain. (Scaling is the removal of unstable and loose rock to prevent unpredictable rock fall.) Once the mitigation and scaling work is completed, a crew can then begin the process of drilling and blasting the two massive boulders."

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Holy crap

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:

A second boulder landed on the highway that weighs 2.3 pounds.

Wouldn't this one be called a rock.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Given the combined total was 10.5 million pounds, I think they meant to say the second boulder was 2.3 million pounds.

This story would make a great physics word problem. How much energy is released when a boulder weighing 8.5 millions falls 850 feet onto a State highway below? Assume in this case the coefficient of rolling friction is negligible prior to impact with the road surface...

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Eh, whats the big deal? A rock falls on the roadway and the road crew says they can't handle it. We give our road crews explosives to play with. If the first shot doesn't do it, try again. If you go to the Cortez paper, you'll see an aerial view. No houses or buildings for miles. If you put enough under the thing, it'll move. If not, use more dynamite. Its what Sundance asked Butch "think you used enough there, Butch?"

Looks to me they've got a ready supply of fill dirt or rock for the bypass. No reason to haul it away, just use it on-site.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back in 2005 we attended a jeep event in Ouray. Coming back from out by the Camp Bird mine we hit a road block. The deputy was nice, but said it'll be a while until we can move. Seems like another jeeper was also driving toward Ouray. Then a rock fell off the ridge above the road. Only 1100 feet, or so said the paper. Then it went through the soft top on the jeep and hit him on the head and shoulder (sounds like a shampoo ad). He became deadified. Probably didn't feel a thing, it was quick "and he was doing something he loved".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That's why I use Rain-X...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a big rock.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:

A second boulder landed on the highway that weighs 2.3 pounds.

Wouldn't this one be called a rock.

Technically any rock larger than 10" is a boulder

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There might be a car under there.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
This story would make a great physics word problem. How much energy is released when a boulder weighing 8.5 millions falls 850 feet onto a State highway below? Assume in this case the coefficient of rolling friction is negligible prior to impact with the road surface...

I once had a physics test question that asked if a boulder of a certain size were to roll down a hill of a certain height and land in a lake of water of a certain volume and temperature, how much would the kinetic energy raise the temperature of the lake? Nailed it (exactly 1.0°C). But don't ask me to do it again.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
And the Road Runner still managed to escape...

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
There might be a car under there.

Or maybe a coyote...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striving for Mediocrity
Picture of operator81
posted Hide Post
I blame legal weed for getting the road stoned.

3-7-77

Posts: 1213 | Registered: November 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I saw that on Fox News this afternoon. A BIG rock, indeed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It’s truly mind-boggling that something that big came down," said Mike McVaugh, CDOT Regional Transportation director for southwest Colorado

What's truly mind-boggling is that Mike is so naïve.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Boulder, Colorado.

So what's new?

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In Colorado there are countless huge boulders in the valleys that have fallen from the heights; that’s part of the process why the Appalachians don’t look like the Rockies. When the road runs between the cliff and a big boulder, I sometimes think, “Oh, yeah; I’m glad that wasn’t today.” It’s not common for large rocks to hit people, but it does happen. Several hikers were killed a few years ago, and the girlfriend of a co-worker had a boulder fall on the Interstate that was large enough to cause her airbags to deploy when she hit it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
"It’s truly mind-boggling that something that big came down," said Mike McVaugh, CDOT Regional Transportation director for southwest Colorado

What's truly mind-boggling is that Mike is so naïve.

No, Mike's right. They should never have put that rock up there in the first place. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
And not one bit of moss.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post