SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could a tree help locate a cadaver?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could a tree help locate a cadaver? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

An interesting theory is being floated by the Forensic Anthropology Center, located at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. It is the first (est. 1980) of what are now 7 "Body Farms", all associated with universities throughout the US. The body farms take donated cadavers and place them in different environments, and then record the changes over time in the decomposition. This aids law enforcement in determining how long a cadaver may have been dead.

Their theory centers around the explosion of nitrogen and many other nutrients and microbiomes that happens when a decomposing body bursts open. They believe this must have some effect that can be evident in the plant life nearby, such as changing the color of tree leaves, for example. They are using drones for the study.

I mentioned the article to my wife, who is a retired K-9 officer who worked with a cadaver dog, and she just said "there's nothing like a dog". Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Even if the nitrogen rich soil changed the color of the plants I wonder how many seasons it would take to deplete it and the plants return to normal.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the cold weather body farm right here in MQT.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
There was a reference to this phenomenon by Spencer Tracey in the movie "Bad Day at Black Rock".

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a large mammal like a human decomposes in a forest, its breakdown transforms the soil in a number of ways. The body's "necrobiome"—all the bacteria that was already in it when it was alive—replicates like crazy in the absence of an immune system. This necrobiome mixes with the microbes in the dirt. "The soil microbiome will change and, of course, the plant roots will also sense some changes," says Stewart. But, he adds, "we don't really know what those changes are."

I anticipate big problems with sensitivity and specificity, the above paragraph speaking on the latter. For the past several years we've been trying to make drone technology more effective in SAR. This sounds like yet another attempt.

I briefly held a correspondence with a gentleman in Australia who had just written his thesis on infrared and decomposition. He wasn't too hopeful that it would lead to improved rates of body recovery. At the time, I myself was investigating how to determine the window during which vulture activity would be greatest.

Your wife captured the bottom line, of course. There's nothing like a dog.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Your wife captured the bottom line, of course. There's nothing like a dog.

As you would most certainly know. Wink

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Not a direct plant effect, but it is part of forensic science in searching for buried bodies to look for the depression in soil from the eventual displacement of body mass/fluids.
(The indicator for a freshly buried body could be disturbed soil/different color composition/mound/small hill).
The classic aged graveside can stand out in a natural setting by depression/ as one of the visual indicators.
Wrapping the body in some type of plastic/non-porous material before covering with soil can produce an entirely different long-term effect on plants and reduce "outgassing".
Just sayin'.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post