SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The current and future of Brick and Mortar Retail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The current and future of Brick and Mortar Retail Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Brick and Mortar is dying. Even grocery stores are pushing on line ordering and fulfillment whether it be curbside pickup or delivery. One local chain here promotes weekly specials on certain products but the only way you can take advantage of these is to use online ordering which I refuse to utilize.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8137 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have Kroger infiltrating Floridas grocery market, go online, setup the account and order, set delivery time and date. Bingo Bango Bongo, groceries to the door.

Prices seem to be better on most items, goods arrive well packaged and fresh. You tend to spend less since you make zero impulse buys walking the aisles.

Con is, you have just found one more reason to sit on your duff and not go into public...

Doesn't seem to be closing grocery stores,

There was all this same hoopla when Wal-Mart got into the grocery business, hasn't closed any Publix stores here...

Poorly run and underfunded businesses will close, but those always do...

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Career retailer here. I started in retail when I was 14 and I'm now 64

Retail for all practical purposes is dead. There will be survivors, high end specialty stores and stores that are selling immediate need for the product over price. Outside of that, there is no future in bricks and mortar retail

No future as in: 1) the way it has been during your career and before, or 2) the way it could be into the future ?

I think Appliance Brad 's generalization is wrong.

Except the way it is implemented, the type of products and perhaps some service aspect.

Since a retail store is not the singular source of obtaining goods much like ABC,NBC,CBS is not the only source of news today.

They must adapt.
Offering products both are shippable and some that are not.
Shippable products through an online presence and not-so-shippable that are picked up due to size, weight or a service required.
Of course some products due to technology can be obsoleted ... that you can't do anything about.

Again since the entitlement crowd has done away with younger workers gaining experience and work ethic - that will make staffing an issue.

I hope you're right. But Appliance Brad's prediction based on a lifetime of experience in Retail is ominous. Maybe, just maybe, younger people will eventually get sick of only being able to purchase things online, and maybe they will want to be able to go into a store, look at their stuff, make a selection, and buy it. I do that every weekend getting stuff done around the house - there's no way I can get exactly what I need to finish a project without taking my stuff to the hardware store, etc., finding the exact size widget or part I need for an installation, replacemnt, or repair, etc. Or a specialty retail plumbing, electrical, electronics, auto parts stores etc. I personally depend on Brick & Mortar Retail. MAYBE, just maybe, some young people in the future, when they get to the point in their life when they have responsibilities and people in their own households who are DEPEDNING on them, then THEY will need to go to a Brick & Mortar to get exactly what they need right NOW. Then, maybe then, Brick & Mortar will eventually return and continue as a healthy industry.

That's my hope anyway. I like Brick & Mortar retail, I need them, I want them. I have a lot of respect for physical store Retailers, they are a dedicated group of people, with all kinds of general and specialized knowledge.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have Kroger infiltrating Floridas grocery market, go online, setup the account and order, set delivery time and date. Bingo Bango Bongo, groceries to the door.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A lot has to do with the population. Walmart came in Delchamps went belly up, Kroger closed and Winn Dixie was left with two stores. Oh, and Albertsons closed. Has to do with the demograpic and the price only.

Personally, a clean parking lot, a greater selection, and helpful employees makes a difference. I am less price conscious.

Posts: 17276 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post