SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Should Soon FINALLY Have AT&T Fiber Internet **INSTALL COMPLETED**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Should Soon FINALLY Have AT&T Fiber Internet **INSTALL COMPLETED** Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

What is the benefit of your own router?
If you change ISPs, or if your current ISP makes any change to your service that requires a different MODEM, having your own router mens that the work that you have to do to accommodate a change is minimal.

I always refuse a combined MODEM / router from the ISP. I just want them to use a simple MODEM to pass the internet signal to my router via ethernet. This keeps the ISP'a fingers out of my LAN (Local Area Network).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My only negative experience with getting AT&Ts fiber optic was they don't have a clue how to bury the cable running to your house... guy with a flat hoe buries it about 2" below the ground. The second time someone came out to repair it, after they did and said the 'other' guy would be out to bury it later I said don't worry about it. then when that line finally went I installed and buried 1" conduit from the junction box in front of the house to where I wanted it to go into the house and when the guy came to repair the latest break I told him this is where it needs to go... he was cool with it and so far so good... a third of this had to run through my wife's flower garden....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
What is the benefit of your own router?
You, and only you, have complete control over the router.

I have never entrusted my border router to anybody else--not at home and not at my employers.

I have looked into it and looks like a good router isn’t cheap. I may get one down the road as from what I read that with AT&T fiber you need the original AT&T router to setup your own. I haven’t researched it in full yet.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
My only negative experience with getting AT&Ts fiber optic was they don't have a clue how to bury the cable running to your house... guy with a flat hoe buries it about 2" below the ground. The second time someone came out to repair it, after they did and said the 'other' guy would be out to bury it later I said don't worry about it. then when that line finally went I installed and buried 1" conduit from the junction box in front of the house to where I wanted it to go into the house and when the guy came to repair the latest break I told him this is where it needs to go... he was cool with it and so far so good... a third of this had to run through my wife's flower garden....

Yeah from my experience the AT&T guy just runs new cable along the surface of the ground and makes connections. Then usually a few weeks later a subcontractor comes out and digs a little trench to bury the cable. I have a large oak tree in my front yard with a lot of surface roots. The junction box for me and one neighbor is in my yard. Last time the neighbor upgraded they didn’t try to run the buried cable under the roots. The ran them over the roots leaving them exposed.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Well that made a difference!!!!!!! And now I will be paying $15 a month LESS than before.

Before:

After: