SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The ultimate driving machine is dropping manual trannsmissions from its 3 series
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ultimate driving machine is dropping manual trannsmissions from its 3 series Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Yepp, it appears for now that going forward BMW is no longer offering the 3 series with a manual transmission. There will probably be M versions with manuals (hopefully) but not for the base and lower trim levels. I think it sucks but if enough people are not buying manuals I suppose such a move is inevitable.

Link to article

When asked about the possibility of future variants with manuals BMW said:
“We would not be able to speculate on what transmission/engine options may be planned for the future.

We can say that the sport automatic delivers the absolutely best performance possible from the new 330i and M340i sedans.”

Not what I want to hear from BMW.

I wonder if maybe they will abandon “the ultimate driving machine” slogan since it doesn’t really make sense anymore? They probably should consider it. I’d like to see more manufactures go the other way and offer manual transmission only sports cars like Honda’s S2000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I suppose there will be room for more cup holders and USB ports. Pure speculation on my part, but most people just want to get from point A to B without spilling their coffee while keeping up on important texts and emails.

I'm really going to miss the manual transmission.

Posts: 11018 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
It’s not just that. Cars with new automatics and dual clutch transmissions get better gas mileage and therefore meet epa guidelines. There’s a reason you can’t buy a supercar these days with a manual.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
This. And they're faster.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 2nd 2-series, an auto this time due to a left knee replacement. If they take the manual option away for my next one, bye bye BMW.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
they're faster.

That's not the point. More control & enjoyment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Audi did the same thing with the A4 and A5 for 2019 models. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I was very disappointed I couldn't order a MT in our '18 440xi vert. I think Audi and MB have dispensed with clutch pedals too :-(

But, love the MT in the '19 Bullitt Mustang!

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thank God for motorcyles - at least until they're all automatics.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The dual-clutch transmissions are the bees knees! Manual transmissions and torque converters are 20th century technology. I suspect that even F1 cars have dual-clutch transmissions nowadays.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
they're faster.

That's not the point. More control & enjoyment.

Agreed. So many newer cars are ruined by these garbage 16 speed transmissions, constantly hunting for the right gear to squeeze out that 1 mpg to meet Obama's EPA regs.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Il Cattivo,

Yamaha has been rumored to be considering putting a seamless gearbox into the R1.

The systems used in MotoGP use loads of small pawls inside the gear wheels, which lock and unlock the gears in a 'ratchet' fashion, so you can briefly have two gears engaged at the same time, but the slower gear freewheels on the pawls, meaning there's no interruption in drive at all.

The Yamaha design is intended to avoid the extra weight and the push-button gearshift of Honda’s DCT, instead keeping a normal, hand-controlled clutch and mechanical, foot-operated change. But it allows two gears to be briefly engaged at the same time, so drive is transferred from one to the other without any let-up.

If they can pull it off that would be awesome. You are right, thank God for motos! They found a way to keep the clutch and still utilize a quick shifter. Yamaha’s seamless gearbox looks like it would only continue that excellent trend of having the best of both worlds, a clutch when you feel like manually shifting and a quickshifter when you want to bang through the gears with quickness.

Shame the auto world can’t create something similar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Say it ain't so. Frown

Posts: 22946 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Whenever I visit relatives in Europe, they ALL have manual trans. This includes BMW, Jaguar, Alfa-Romeo, and what ever else they drive. Their reason is that when they drive they want to enjoy the whole driving experience, including which gear to be in. After working as an engineer in the auto industry for many years, I am sure this has to do with fuel economy and emissions. I would bet you that manual transmissions will be available in other countries, just not USA.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
New drivers with rich parents, are not being taught how to drive a manual.

So much for a cheap[er] form of theft deterrence.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll be happy with my Civic Type "R" as it ONLY comes with a six-apeed manual!

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The dual-clutch transmissions are the bees knees! Manual transmissions and torque converters are 20th century technology. I suspect that even F1 cars have dual-clutch transmissions nowadays.

Some of you guys Just. Don't. Get it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
New drivers with rich parents, are not being taught how to drive a manual.

So much for a cheap[er] form of theft deterrence.

THIS....

and a $500-$1000 hit on trade in time, due to car having a manual transmission.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suppose that some guys are unhappy because they can’t buy cars with non-synchronized transmissions nowadays. That’s an elemental driving experience! Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Lame.

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post