SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The ultimate driving machine is dropping manual trannsmissions from its 3 series
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ultimate driving machine is dropping manual trannsmissions from its 3 series Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Last month when I was getting rid of my '15 Subaru Legacy, I was looking at an '18 Subaru BRZ with a manual. I was moving to a smaller car since my daughter started driving and I only need room for one passenger. It was nice but I didn't like the small engine (yeah I know the car is small and light) in the BRZ and that it required premium. I ended up going back to BMW since I found one cheap and got an '18 430i xDrive convertible. It comes with an 8spd auto. No dual clutch available since it's not an M car.

I'm happy with my choice.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
New drivers with rich parents, are not being taught how to drive a manual.

So much for a cheap[er] form of theft deterrence.

THIS....

and a $500-$1000 hit on trade in time, due to car having a manual transmission.

Beyond theft deterrence, they're also good for new drivers because friends can't borrow what they can't drive. That was even true when I was in college.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We were swayed by a PDK on our last purchase which will be a long term car.
We love it, and it’s super awesome.
With current trends and a time machine I’d get a manual.
Frown

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12445 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The dual-clutch transmissions are the bees knees! Manual transmissions and torque converters are 20th century technology. I suspect that even F1 cars have dual-clutch transmissions nowadays.

My M5 has a DCT, it nice at high speed, and to quickly downshift for instant torque, but it makes me look like a jackass in a parking lot.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My S1000R has clutchless upshifts. It's amazing how much faster I can get it up to speed than my K1200R, though they're both 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. I can actually pull it off on the S1000R.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2004 I wanted to buy a 330i silver with manual. No dealers in a multi state area had one. I would have to order with a long lead time. I ended up with a manual 2004 Acura TL. I was told at the time that only 10% of the 3 series sold in the state were manual.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
My Mustang is a manual and that is how I like it.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by Rick Lee
quote:
My S1000R has clutchless upshifts. It's amazing how much faster I can get it up to speed than my K1200R, though they're both 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. I can actually pull it off on the S1000R.

Clutchless upshifts and downshifts via a quickshifter are becoming the norm on new superbikes. BMW has had them for a while and Suzuki just put a quickshifter on their base model GSX-R1000 (it used to only come from the factory on their top tier model).

It sucks to see BMW create such incredible and wild motorcycles and slowly ruin their cars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
The next M3 should have a manual, but it will probably be the last one to have it. I am glad I ordered my 2017 M3 with a manual. The DCTs are great, but the manual is cheaper and more engaging. Get them while you can.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not that bad.

My current Daily Driver 335 is the first car I've owned with an Auto, and I was a little concerned initially, but the ZF 8 speed is a really good transmission. I can put it in "drive" and just cruise or sit in traffic and it's smooth. Or I can put it in "sport, no Car I really mean it DTC Off" mode and it's very quick, and gives me very good control over the car. If you don't like paddles, reach down and hit the shifter.

The only place it really lags behind a stick is engine braking, which you shouldn't be doing if you're driving fast.

The car is still pretty dang engaging.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
The dual-clutch transmissions are the bees knees! Manual transmissions and torque converters are 20th century technology. I suspect that even F1 cars have dual-clutch transmissions nowadays.

My M5 has a DCT, it nice at high speed, and to quickly downshift for instant torque, but it makes me look like a jackass in a parking lot.

That puzzles me. My 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited has a DCT. In auto mode it drives pretty much like a car with a torque converter auto.

The car does have a selectable “auto hold” feature that sets the brake when the car comes to a complete stop (brake releases with a touch of the throttle). That feature is neat for ordinary driving, but is annoying in a parking situation. But for parking I can disable it with a touch of the control switch.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Big Grin

My sentiments exactly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Audi isn't doing any more manuals for any model starting 2019. I have the VW DSG dual clutch after years of manual transmissions and I'm not sure I care to go back (you'll probably find a manual trans thread on here where I say just the opposite). Once you get the hang of it, it's truly the best of both worlds.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose that some guys are unhappy because they can’t buy cars with non-synchronized transmissions nowadays. That’s an elemental driving experience! Smile

Ha!

Yup, woe is me, end of the world, things were better, you kids get off my lawn.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
No 3-on-the-tree?
You kids are soft. Real men only drive long bed trucks with V8's and a 3 speed manual. PERIOD.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post