SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Doctor proposes lowering flow of anesthesia to patients to combat Climate Change/ Harvard medical school to teach Global Warming
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor proposes lowering flow of anesthesia to patients to combat Climate Change/ Harvard medical school to teach Global Warming Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
After Marc Morano published this article on his Climate Depot website, the American Society of Anesthesiologists pulled this proposal off of their website, but can still be viewed at CD.

I don't like the format that Marc Morano writes and publishes in as it's more of a run-on blog format than an article but, it is what it is, and his linked information is still worth knowing about, even if sometimes clickbaitey.

[Note: multiple hyperlinks found at linked article.]

===================

Restrict anesthesia to save climate – Harvard Med to ‘Integrate Climate’ Into M.D. Curriculum & American Cancer Society Frets ‘carbon footprint of cancer care’

The Great Medical Reset: Your Doctor will treat the climate first -- not your well-being -- and you will be happy.

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotFebruary 6, 2023 8:41 AM

The latest from the Wacky World of Climate:

1) Doc presents new study suggesting ‘lowering the flow of anesthetic gas’ in patients to save the planet – 1 hour of surgical anesthesia equivalent to driving as many as 470 miles – Anesthesia the next target in climate battle: Docs suggest reducing anesthesia: Would you suffer to combat climate change?

NY Post: Dr. Mohamed Fayed, a senior anesthetist at Detroit’s Henry Ford Health, made the suggestion during the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ annual conference last Friday in Orlando, Florida. “Global warming is affecting our daily life more and more, and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions has become crucial,” he said. Dr. Fayed added, “No matter how small each effect is, it will add up. As anesthesiologists, we can contribute significantly to this cause by making little changes in our daily practice — such as lowering the flow of anesthetic gas — without affecting patient care.”

Study press release: “Anesthesiologists can play a role in reducing the greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming by decreasing the amount of anesthetic gas provided during procedures without compromising patient care, suggests new research being presented at the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ ADVANCE 2023, the Anesthesiology Business Event.” [Climate Depot Note: The American Society of Anesthesiologists’ website appears to have pulled the article. But it is available here. & here.

Research notes that inhaled anesthesia accounts for up to 0.1% of the world’s carbon emissions, which are regarded as the primary driver of global climate change. An hour of surgery using an inhaled anesthetic is equivalent to driving as many as 470 miles, according to a 2010 study.

Reuters: Cannabis users may need ‘more than TWICE usual dose’ of anesthesia for surgery – “People who regularly use cannabis may need more than twice the usual dose of anesthesia for surgery, a U.S. study suggests.”

===============

2) Harvard Medical School Will ‘Integrate Climate Change’ Into M.D. Curriculum

The Harvard Crimson: A Harvard Medical School committee voted last month to embed climate change into the school’s curriculum. … The new climate change curriculum will examine the impact of climate change on health and health inequality, applications of these impacts to clinical care, and the role of physicians and health institutions in arriving at climate solutions. … HMS student Madeleine C. Kline said: “Every student who comes through the Medical School will leave with an understanding of what climate change is and what it means for their patients,” she said. “I think it is going to mean a lot for their patients.”

Flashback: Harvard School of Public Health links Climate & COVID: ‘The root causes of climate change also increase the risk of pandemics’ – ‘We also need to take climate action to prevent the next pandemic’

===================

3) Flashback 2020 Study in American Cancer Society Journal in 2020 Fretted over ‘carbon footprint of cancer care’

American Cancer Society Journal: “Climate change and cancer” – Excerpt: “To date, no studies have estimated the carbon footprint of cancer care…The energy expenditure associated with operating cancer treatment facilities and medical devices, as well as the manufacturing, packaging, and shipment of devices and pharmaceuticals, contributes significantly to greenhouse gas emissions in cancer care…Some cancer treatment facilities have begun to consider their own carbon footprint and started a process to achieve carbon neutrality.”

Climate Depot’s Morano: “Here is a question for the American Cancer Society: If you need cancer treatment, would you go to a cancer treatment center that was worried about its carbon footprint? Or one that was worried about delivering the best possible modern care?”

Flashback: Canadian doctor clinically diagnoses patient as suffering from ‘climate change’ – ‘Picked up his patient’s chart & penned in the words ‘climate change’

Flashback: Calls to add ‘climate change’ to death certificates – New study demands ‘climate change’ be added as ‘pre-existing condition’

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
These people truly want humans back in mud huts.

Except for themselves of course. It's Animal Farm with a climate change twist.

Fucking sadists.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
This is why the taint punch was developed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Anybody who makes decisions / policies based on climate change should have their credentials revoked and barred from whatever job they may hold.

They've demonstrated an inability for critical thinking, logic and data based decisions. They are not qualified to make rational decisions.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This stupid shit will go right out the window the first time someone wakes up on the table. Everyone involved had better make sure that their malpractice insurance premiums are paid up.

These people are insane, truly insane.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember waking up during a surgery with a bunch of people frantically telling me I was ok and me leaning over and projectile vomiting and then out go the lights.

It’s been 30 years so I don’t remember the name for it but my mom was a nurse at that hospital and when I told her what happened she she went to look up the notes/briefing of the surgery and all the paperwork was lost.

Because of that I’m in the no thanks camp.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 60s the people fought the establishment and pushed the agenda. Now it is the establishment pushing the woke agenda on the people. Harvard used to be respected. Instead they publish rubbish like this that causes patients to worry about waking up during surgery or worse being awake, unable to move yet able to feel pain. Those lawsuits bring big bucks.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Who proposed this, Dr. Mengele?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an attending anesthesiologist, director of a multiple hospital system and the chief of the division.

I have personally performed anesthesia without anesthetic gases in the Middle East, Afghanistan and even here in the US.

My guys will not be doing this dumb shit. I will be giving gas til I get fired or die. There are some circumstances where you can’t but that is case by case.

These guys are assholes. Plain and simple.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Dude should start with regulating his own CO2 emissions…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Wait until one of those half conscious patients reaches under the table and squeezes their balls or kicks them in the balls.
As my dad told me, you think Doctors are so smart but always remember, someone finished last in their class.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything to maintain and keep the narrative fresh.

These people....

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Now one will have to ask their anesthesiologist where he went to medical school. If Harvard, ask for another guy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made a lot of decisions in my personally administered 25K anesthetic career. I can assure you that none of those decisions were made regarding climate change.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I think this Physician should volunteer for open heart exploratory with minimal anesthetic to prove the theory.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I see examples like this, where members of the Church of Climate Change, continue to virtue signal and flagellate themselves over the most minute example of saving the planet.....I think of the dozens of coal-powered power plants, representing the fast majority of new GHG emissions.

They are so intent on ruining western economies and democracies....yet they don't confront the GDC in Bejing.

At this point, I'm like....whatever.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
This is perhaps more widespread than you think. Was listening to NPR, anesthesiologist at Mass General admitting to doing this also.

I thought what the heck. You're responsible for 100% of what's going into my body and none that goes "into climate" and yet your primary consideration is climate. Guess I know where the patient stands.

Where are the adults in the room?

Posts: 1826 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt it is very widespread. Mass General is tied in with Harvard Medical btw.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I doubt it is very widespread. Mass General is tied in with Harvard Medical btw.
Ok, that's somewhat comforting. Still, the fact this conversation is being discussed shows us the extent to which this leftest propaganda being taught in higher education is very much affecting the (to coin an old Rushism) young skulls full of mush and potentially my healthcare.

Posts: 1826 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post